Bad Passenger Habits

The worst for elevator pharting is on the Alaska itinerary. We finally concluded that all of the blue hairs on the ship couldn't equalize quickly enough when the elevators gained altitude. It became a standing joke that it was safe to take the elevator DOWN to dinner, but the stairs were a safer bet if you need to go back UP to the deck.

I saw someone in the Windjammer carrying a plate of chicken. Pick up a piece and take a bite, lick their fingers and then pick up tongs to get more food. Apparently, people can't wait to sit down before they start eating.

I have seen many people do this exact thing at buffet restaurants. My standard line is now to hold out my plate and say to the offender "lick my plate" and they always are taken aback and I calmly explain if I wanted to share saliva with them I would invite them to just bypass the middle step and just lick my plate.

The worst for elevator pharting is on the Alaska itinerary. We finally concluded that all of the blue hairs on the ship couldn't equalize quickly enough when the elevators gained altitude. It became a standing joke that it was safe to take the elevator DOWN to dinner, but the stairs were a safer bet if you need to go back UP to the deck.

I used to work in the "hot water" industry (hot tubs and such), and after reading that the typical human sloughs off nearly a teaspoon of dead skin after entering turbulent hot water, I stopped using any public hot tubs, no matter how well they were kept.

...We finally concluded that all of the blue hairs on the ship couldn't equalize quickly enough when the elevators gained altitude...

Just be careful. After a loss of equalization, a lot of us 'blue hairs' have learned to turn to the person next to them and ask "What did you say sonny? Please speak up." It quickly shifts the blame. :rolleyes:

Age has its rank (pun intended)!

Les

I observed this on our last Jewel cruise and I can't believe that no one else has a problem with this.

Every day in the Windjammer I noticed people using the tongs and tossing them back onto the trays. Never just leaning them as is normally the custom, just tossing the tongs onto or into whatever dish. Obviously the next person in line gets to fish out the tongs. With all the concern about viruses, shouldn't this be a concern???

My question is simply, WHERE WERE THESE PEOPLE RAISED???

The cruiselines work really hard to avoid contamination. Why can't the passengers put in a little effort to comply??

After working in Public Health for so long prior to my retirement, I have given up trying to expect people to do the most simple actions to take care of themselves and others. Let alone the correct use of tongs, so many people go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands.

One of my jobs in the Health Department was to check our drinking water for bacterial contamination. This included the rest rooms, and when one of my examiners went into the ladies room, I stood guard outside. More than once, he called me in to show me in what horrible shape the restroom was kept. Mind you, I am not saying the Mens Room was any better, but it just proves that people of both sexes can cause health problems.

By the way, I remember one reply to a post where on e passenger wrote thast when a towel was thrown on the floor expecting it to be replaced, the attendant just picked it up and replaced it on the rack. Bad enough, but the passenger simply termed this a "minor inconvenience".

If all the things people do to make problems -- particularly in the area of health -- were shared, many would look for plastic bubbles where they could live alone for the rest of their lives:eek:

The bad habits that annoyed me the most involved elevators:

1) people who don't let you get off before they try to get

2) the person on the elevator who refuses to move out of the way so you can get off

4) people who are perfectly capable of taking the stairs down/up one flight, but insist on taking the elevator. Now before anyone starts wagging their tongue I realize that we shouldn't make judgements as some people can't take the stairs due to medical reasons...however....when you hear their friend/spouse ask them "do you want to take the stairs?" and the answer is "no, I can't be bothered" that is probably an indication that the person is just lazy.

This is when you eek out a little fluffy!!

2) the person on the elevator who refuses to move out of the way so you can get off Another opportunity to leave them your calling card as you exit!!

4) people who are perfectly capable of taking the stairs down/up one flight, but insist on taking the elevator. Now before anyone starts wagging their tongue I realize that we shouldn't make judgements as some people can't take the stairs due to medical reasons...however....when you hear their friend/spouse ask them "do you want to take the stairs?" and the answer is "no, I can't be bothered" that is probably an indication that the person is just lazy. Well it is their vacation if they want to be lazy don't let it bother you!!!

:D :D :D

now that is funny as our meaning for thongs is a string like bikini bottom, in the US I think it also means flip flop sandles.

I wonder what the good cleric had on his mind, when he made the freudian slip.

I am trying to purge the visions that are flooding through my mind aghhhhhh regards

Thongs here in the US are the same as England, I have never heard flip flops called Thongs here, that is an Australian term

OK. I've got one that really tops all of these. It will make your stomach curl so STOP if you don't want that to happen. Note that this didn't take place on a cruise ship (it could have), but happened instead at a buffet with self serve ice cream. A lady right in front of me scopped ice cream out, licked the ball on the scoop, and tossed the scoop of ice cream back into the ice cream container. I was there with my tounge hanging out and when I finally said something to the effect "I can't believe you just did that," she shrugged her shoulders and said that it was bad and walked away. The resteraunt threw out the container but I'm still dumfounded to this day! It is truly unfortunate that many in today's society live in a "me, me, me, ..." world.

Horrible. Someone who does that didn't just make a mistake and put the tongs back in the beans where they slid in fully in contact handle and all with the food, that sounds to be an intentional act. Perhaps the captain should have put her out on the gang plank for a quick see-ya-later walk!!!

People who intentionally do things that waste large amounts of food and put fellow cruisers as risk of catching diseases etc...should face the consequences.

If you had not been there would the crew have noticed and tossed the goods? Scary how often it sounds as if it is fellow cruisers making a stink about food handling that gets the food tossed etc...not an observant crew member.

One cruise we were on DH was in the buffet line for lunch. Staff came out with a full fresh tray of fried chicken a man several people ahead of DH in line went over picked up the whole tray and carried it over to the table were his family of four sat..............everyone in line and the staff stood there with their mouths wide open!!!! :)

You know sometimes you just gotta shake your head and laugh!!! :D

Thongs here in the US are the same as England, I have never heard flip flops called Thongs here, that is an Australian term

For a long time here in the States, what are now also called "flip-flops" have been called "thongs". Long since the other type of thongs came out or got popular.

It is an Aussie term, as well - had an Aussie friend who came to the US to live for a bit and he went to the store looking for sandals. He said, "I'm looking for some thongs," and the salesman was a bit speechless, 'til the Aussie said something about how they are sandals with a piece that goes between your toes. :p

One cruise we were on DH was in the buffet line for lunch. Staff came out with a full fresh tray of fried chicken a man several people ahead of DH in line went over picked up the whole tray and carried it over to the table were his family of four sat..............everyone in line and the staff stood there with their mouths wide open!!!! :)

Well, it is self-service:D

ROFL...........

Thats when you follow him and help yourself from the middle of his table.:D

I'm going to Vegas for a meeting Tuesday and Wednesday. I will have to go watch the buffet line to see if anyone does that on land...kind of doubt anyone is that bold in their favorite buffet on land.

I think some folks leave manners and good sense at home when they go on vacation. I've seen similar crazy things happen on land based vacations as well.

On second thought, I will skip the buffets in Vegas...stick to the meals provided where each is individually served to us:D

2) the person on the elevator who refuses to move out of the way so you can get off

4) people who are perfectly capable of taking the stairs down/up one flight, but insist on taking the elevator. Now before anyone starts wagging their tongue I realize that we shouldn't make judgements as some people can't take the stairs due to medical reasons...however....when you hear their friend/spouse ask them "do you want to take the stairs?" and the answer is "no, I can't be bothered" that is probably an indication that the person is just lazy.

In Jan when we were on the RCL Nav three drunken idiots pushed into the lift and one hurt an old lady.

I lost my temper and pushed them out of the lift and dealt with them outside, one person watched my back, he was a Canadian, we did get a cheer when we got back in the lift, then we took the old lady to the doctors, her foot was bruised.

She could have been my Mum or your Mum, decent people should react, regards

After working in Public Health for so long prior to my retirement, I have given up trying to expect people to do the most simple actions to take care of themselves and others. Let alone the correct use of tongs, so many people go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands.

One of my jobs in the Health Department was to check our drinking water for bacterial contamination. This included the rest rooms, and when one of my examiners went into the ladies room, I stood guard outside. More than once, he called me in to show me in what horrible shape the restroom was kept. Mind you, I am not saying the Mens Room was any better, but it just proves that people of both sexes can cause health problems.

By the way, I remember one reply to a post where on e passenger wrote thast when a towel was thrown on the floor expecting it to be replaced, the attendant just picked it up and replaced it on the rack. Bad enough, but the passenger simply termed this a "minor inconvenience".

If all the things people do to make problems -- particularly in the area of health -- were shared, many would look for plastic bubbles where they could live alone for the rest of their lives:eek:

My wife left the table on late sitting on the RCL Nav, to use the Loo, she was met by disgusting sights, the cleaner was trying to do her best.

My wife asked what had happened, the cleaner said it was a normal night!

My wife will only use our cabin loo now. regards

My wife left the table on late sitting on the RCL Nav, to use the Loo, she was met by disgusting sights, the cleaner was trying to do her best.

My wife asked what had happened, the cleaner said it was a normal night!

My wife will only use our cabin loo now. regards

I would only use the public rooms in an emergency.:(

Enjoy your next cruise!:)

Personally it amazes me. You've got to love well dressed women. They walk into the ladies room and behave as if they are the only cruisers on the ship. They touch their hair, they re apply makeup and washing hands is never an option. Then youve got the great ladies who do everything right. They wash their hands, and accually look into the mirror and decide that they look great. :)

I wish I had not read this entire thread. I will be going on my first RCCL cruise next month and now wonder what I am getting myself into. We have cruised on Princess in the past and never noticed this kind of behavior. I am not saying it did not exist. Perhaps we just were not looking for it.

I wish I had not read this entire thread. I will be going on my first RCCL cruise next month and now wonder what I am getting myself into. We have cruised on Princess in the past and never noticed this kind of behavior. I am not saying it did not exist. Perhaps we just were not looking for it.

I think you'll see this kind of behavior on any cruise line , any land vacation for that matter! :D

In Jan when we were on the RCL Nav three drunken idiots pushed into the lift and one hurt an old lady.

I lost my temper and pushed them out of the lift and dealt with them outside, one person watched my back, he was a Canadian, we did get a cheer when we got back in the lift, then we took the old lady to the doctors, her foot was bruised.

She could have been my Mum or your Mum, decent people should react, regards

Bravo!!!!!!!

Archived