how much wine/champagne can we bring?

Rockitman

Cruised Carnival 2 years ago and there didn't seem to be a limit on how many bottles of wine or champagne one was allowed to bring onboard.

Is there a limit? I'm traveling again in January, and wanted to bring at least 4 o 5 bottles of the good stuff.

Cruised Carnival 2 years ago and there didn't seem to be a limit on how many bottles of wine or champagne one was allowed to bring onboard.

Is there a limit? I'm traveling again in January, and wanted to bring at least 4 o 5 bottles of the good stuff.

Here is the policy, some have been able to bring more. Are you planning to pack them in your carry on or checked luggage?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

If you go check out Carnivals website, they have recently changed their policy to only allow one bottle of wine per adult (over 21) traveling per cruise, regardless of cruise length. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, as one of the main reasons we pay extra for a balcony cabin is we like to sit outside by ourselves, sip some nice wine, and watch the ocean in our bathrobes. Of course, I'd already paid in full when I was looking for something else on their site and I found the policy change. On our other two cruises, I've packed a case of wine, clearly marked as such, and wheeled it onto the ship with no problems. We happily pay corkage at dinner in order to be able to drink something decent at less than $80/bottle. Those days are no more. From what I've been able to glean, you can probably get away with a few bottles (tightly wrapped in bubble wrap) in your checked bags, and then carry on one apiece. Also, the policy doesn't specify size of bottle, so if you can find something you like in a magnum, try bringing one of those on.

When I sailed the Triumph a couple of weeks ago one person in our party had 4 bottles of wine in his luggage. We actually took all of our luggage on board with us (instead of checking it curb side) so everything went through the X-Ray machine in the terminal. Security did notice the 4 bottles and he had to open the suitcase for security but that was just to show him that it was in fact wine and not hard liquor. That was good enough for them.

I guess it's all a matter of chance as to who you might get in Security and what rules they are choosing to enforce.

When the wife and I went on the Conquest in Septemeber, we each took two bottles in our respective carry ons. The theory was that I was carrying a bottle for her and myself and vice versa. Didn't have to put the theory to the test! :D

Do you think they'd care if it was a bottle of sangria? There is a mix we love that comes in w ine bottle and it would be awesome with ice and some citrus (probably collect it from other mixed drinks, LOL) that we could just mix up and have in cabin. We spend enough on board but since it isn't labeled as wine I don't know if they'd care?

Changing the subject a bit here. The police states only at embarkment but it does not say that you can bring beer onboard. We have friends who bought a 6 pack of Kalik and were allowed to bring it back on the ship. We did not try it but they not problem in the purchase at port and bringing it on to consume.

Has anyone tried to bring the small bottles of wine, like the 4 packs. Do they consider a four or 6 pack to equal one bottle of wine:confused: I am the only one that will drink and I figure one glass of wine a night on the balcony:D

We've taken much more than one bottle a person, carried on - through security - ran it through the xray- on every cruise. The most recent was the Legend in October 07. They have never said a word. If you want to bring on a case, go ahead. As long as you look like a reasonable adult I am sure there will never be a question.

Have fun on the Pride!

Technically, it's one bottle of wine per person.... ;)

On my cruise in April, I took a box of wine, 2 bottles of liquor (750 ml - Malibu and Smirnoff Vodka), and a number of "nips" or those small shot bottles from the liquor store. None of it was confiscated and I had no problems. I don't know if this helps, it was in my checked luggage and not my carry-on.

I still spent $100 on the ship on liquor, though :eek:

We have traveled on many Carnival ships, we take one full suitcase with at least 7 bottles of wine and at least 2 bottles of liquor. We do not carry it on, it is in our checked luggage. It has never been confiscated.

We don't fly since we are Florida residents and that helps, last year when boarding the Inspiration people were loading cases of water and soda with their check on and it made it to their cabins. Carnival wants you to purchase their liquor but makes allowances for what people bring with them.

Rhonda aka Mucklucks

When the wife and I went on the Conquest in Septemeber, we each took two bottles in our respective carry ons. The theory was that I was carrying a bottle for her and myself and vice versa. Didn't have to put the theory to the test! :D

Excellent!:cool:

I carried wine on this summer and it was great. My next cruise however I have to fly...You can't have liquids that size in carryon, so what should I do?

On your way from the airport to the port you stop at an ABC store or grocery store and load up. This is easiest if you are renting a car, easy if you're in a cab, and difficult if you're using Carnival's transfers. If you're flying in the day before and staying at a hotel, ask if the hotel shuttle will run you to the nearest grocery and/or ABC store or if they are a walkable distance from your hotel, then you hoof it. :)

Don't forget to take bubble wrap and zip lock baggies to pack your liquor in your checked luggage. Bottles of wine are carried on the ship. We buy a nice Port at Wegman's in DC before our flight, bubble wrap it and put it in our checked luggage for the flight. When we get to our hotel (we always fly in early and stay a day or two) get the Port out of our checked luggage and carry it on. Once you've carried your wine on you'll see how easy it is. The emps at the ship who check you in do not care how much wine you're taking on the ship. :)

We packed a bottle of whiskey in our checked luggage (wraped in bubblewrap then put in a super large zip lock. We also had one large suitcase that we filled with a case of water, 12 pk of diet coke and a case of coors light. All of it made it to our cabin and our cabin stewert kept our cooler full of ice all week long! Of course we tipped him well in addition to the standard tip.

Even with bringing all of the above on board with us, we still manager to have an $800 Sail and sign bill!

Would port or sherry still be classified as wine? They are fortified wines and bought at a winery. Just wondering, I'm taking them anyway, and I'm leaving in 4 days.:D

The US Customs Office categorizes fortified wines as "wine" for purposes of import duties - who is Carnival to contradict the guvmint?;)

Archived