Visa requirement to Aus/NZ

lisalovlee33

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Canadians require visa to enter Australia or New Zealand? I was browsing this board, and one page 5 or 6, someone mentioned that in order to rent a car in Australia, one would need some sort of visa. I checked online and there was mention of some ETA type visa for Canadians and Americans. Thanks.

We still have the International Drivers License from our last trip which is still valid. What else do they need to rent cars here? Thanks again.

No visa is needed for Canadians to enter New Zealand. I think, and others will confirm, that a visa is needed for you to enter Australia and this can be applied for over the internet.

New Zealanders and Australians can enter each other's countries with few restrictions (except a valid passport), so I don't know what the visa requirements are.

I called the embassy in Ottawa this morning. I was told that I would need to apply for an ETA visa cost $20AUD for processing fee total. Took about 2 mins to complete.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

I checked the NZ website and it says Canadians do not require visa.

In Italy and France last year, we were asked for our passports when we rented cars. Does anyone know if passports are required here in NZ and Australia? Thanks.

Canadians do need a visa for Australia but it can be done on line and you must have a credit card and they charge $20 Aussie dollars per person. It can be done a few days before you leave but have your printer inked or cartridged up as you have to print your confirmation in order to board your place for Australia.

There is a website you can do that. I googled it and have not done it yet as I wanted to wait closer to the date as it must be used before 3 months.

You do not need anyway for New Zealand. Well, your passport of course but no visa.

It is a 'service' that looks after it for them. Yes, your TA could do it but they need all the information like date of entry and also your passport number. I have no idea myself what day we actually leave here as they are 16 hours ahead of us in Sydney. No direct flights from Toronto either. Maybe from Vancouver.

We intend to wait until we have confirmation of what air we are using and when we actually leave.

Johanna

We took the Princess cruise 3 years ago and yes, they did it for us but only just before we left. We were getting nervous. They also charged us $56 for the service. Better to use the web site and do it yourself and save some money.

Princess does not do anything for free that I am aware of. Maybe send you a brochure or something.

Canadians do need a visa for Australia but it can be done on line and you must have a credit card and they charge $20 Aussie dollars per person. It can be done a few days before you leave but have your printer inked or cartridged up as you have to print your confirmation in order to board your place for Australia.

There is a website you can do that. I googled it and have not done it yet as I wanted to wait closer to the date as it must be used before 3 months.

You do not need anyway for New Zealand. Well, your passport of course but no visa.

It is a 'service' that looks after it for them. Yes, your TA could do it but they need all the information like date of entry and also your passport number. I have no idea myself what day we actually leave here as they are 16 hours ahead of us in Sydney. No direct flights from Toronto either. Maybe from Vancouver.

We intend to wait until we have confirmation of what air we are using and when we actually leave.

Johanna

Unless it's different for citizens of some countries, the Australian ETA is valid for 12 months. My ETA was approved on 13.October 07 and is valid until 13. October 2008.

I am a U.S. citizen (although living in Europe). My husband is German and his ETA was also approved for 12 months. The period of stay in both cases is up to 3 months.

My printer had been broken for some time and I was worried about being able to print off our visas. I told my TA, a relative, at a family party last month. She did it for me and it didn't cost me anything because it's free to TAs. She sent me the printouts with the receipt for the final payment on our cruise--Mercury Jan. 20, Syd-Auk. AND we dodged the surcharge.

Today our son installed our new laptop and printer, so I'm back to full strength, so to speak. :D

You are right. I misunderstood. It is good for 12 months but stays of not longer than 3 months. Well, we certainly won't even be there for a week if I am correct.

I guess I can get it now but with being able to print it off immediately, there really isn't much of a rush.

Johanna

Yes the ETA is good for up to a 3 month stay, we want to stay for 6 months next year and we have to apply for a visitors visa which is good for up to 6 months.

If you are cruising out of Aus with Princess they will apply for the ETA for you, if you decide to get the ETA yourself on-line make sure you have Princess take it off your bill because they will charge you for it. (this only applies to North Americans)

Archived