The disadvantages of learning too much

ejkj84

So I love all of the information you can learn from these boards, it is amazing. However, I was wondering if you have ever learned too much. For example, something that if you never would have know about, it never would have bothered you. However, since you knew about it or were expecting something because of these boards, and it did not turn out as you anticipated it, it made you mad or annoyed. Sorry if that is confusing. I basically just want to know if learning too much ever led to dissatisfaction for you. Please post your story..

Last minute discounted prices less than mine - would have been so much better off not knowing - still had a great time but would rather not know.

A lot of negative reviews on food - would rather have my head clear to make my own choices.

I don't know if "learning too much" will ruin a cruise, but I do know from 1st hand experience that knowing only what info you get from the cruise brochure is AMPLE!!!! Our 1st cruise, we had not discovered this site, and our cruise was SUPER!!!!!

Cruises aren't complicated and it's just a vacation, after all! It's not exactly rocket science!

Last minute discounted prices less than mine - would have been so much better off not knowing - still had a great time but would rather not know.

A lot of negative reviews on food - would rather have my head clear to make my own choices.

Amen!!! Everyone's palate is sooo different plus, things can vary from one cruise to the next.

Sometimes too much information is a form of overkill and I agree with "cbatsea" that we can do just fine by reading ALL the information in the cruise brochure. When I read the boards and see the questions some people ask, you know they never so much as read any of the pertinent info in the fine print in the back of the cruise brochures...guess they don't think it pertains to them.

While I believe in good planning, I still embrace spontaneity and some of the best vacations (cruises or otherwise) for me have been those that we just winged...it's always adventurous to encounter the unexpected along the way.

So I love all of the information you can learn from these boards, it is amazing. However, I was wondering if you have ever learned too much. For example, something that if you never would have know about, it never would have bothered you. However, since you knew about it or were expecting something because of these boards, and it did not turn out as you anticipated it, it made you mad or annoyed. Sorry if that is confusing. I basically just want to know if learning too much ever led to dissatisfaction for you. Please post your story..

Hello,

You question is an outstanding one. While I have not learned anything that led to dissatisfaction, please remember that people who respond on these boards have been on thousands of cruises and want to help you.

In addition to their cruise experience they bring to the board, a huge range of life experiences. Dining on cruise ships is a good example. Some respondents have been going to some of the world's finest restaurants since childhood. Others are excellent chefs who have attended world renowned cooking schools. Then there are the regional differences, as there are some diners and simple coffee shops where the food is really good...nothing fancy, just good. This means that you will get a variety of opinions on the ship's food and food service.

I try to stay away from giving opinions and stick to answering questions where I hopefully will be of help.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I take most info with a grain of salt.

If someone complains about the crew being unfriendly, I put it down to a bad day, or that the passenger didn't treat the crew like a fellow human being.

If they complain on the food, I know everyone's tastes are different.

I also don't pay much attention to the_________ is a better line than______.

Again, it is in what you like. It doesn't matter to me that one line has more activities, for instance, because I am just as happy to be on vacation, on a cruise, doing absolutely nothing.

One major thing that does interest me is the ease of getting around the ship, as my sweetie uses a wheelchair, or which ports are tendered. I also like hearing about the ports and what people did there, to get an idea of what we might do.

Everyone one must remember that what one person may experience or feel, (even on the same exact cruise as you were on) will vary.

That is why I always believe half of what I read, see and hear. When reading something I have to remind myself that I am reading someone's opinion. If they complaint about the service doesn't mean that I will get the same bad service. If they are not satisfied with the food doesn't mean that I won't like it. Who knows I might enjoy that style of cooking. I do listen to or read their advice but in the end it still all comes down to the fact that I have to make up my own mind.

This has been a refreshing thread for me to read. There have been so many good comments here and I agree with all of them. This thread should be required reading for newbies to this web site. :p

I have only taken one cruise so far (last month) but that experience has given me a new perspective on reading posts here. It was particularly interesting to read the reviews of others who had taken the same cruise as I, but who had different opinions. I have learned to ignore the subjective comments such as food reviews, both good and bad reviews.

And crew "friendliness" or not, is also highly subjective; this factor changes minute-by-minute in everyone's lives. Also, if a passenger reports having had a bad cabin steward...well, what am I expected to glean from that information? Will it impact my trip? I think not.

Overall, the posters on this thread seem to have an intelligent and highly appropriate way of reading the posts on Cruise Critic.

I learned that one of our ships needed to be refurbished. (It was a few months after we sailed.) Had I not read about some of the items in disrepair, I probably would not have noticed them. As it was, noticing them did not ruin my cruise.

Archived