Nice shorts for casual dinner nights?

Msmlo

First time cruiser. Can you wear a nice short outfit for a casual dinner night?

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've been shopping like crazy for me. I guess I need to think about the man in my life as well.;) LOL I've heard that Celebrity is a dressier ship. True? How should I dress my man?LOL:p

Thanks for any help.

Michelle

NO shorts for dinner, especially for men (on NCL dressy shorts outfits were tolerated for women but not for men, and everyone tend to say that NCL is more casual than other lines).

Your husband needs slacks and khakis for dinner, even for casual nights.

If you like to stay in shorts, you can dine at the buffet but not in dinning rooms.

Hi:) No shorts for dinner time in the dining room.

Even I casual evenings I like to "dress up a bit"....but that is just me.

Enjoy your cruise...I love Celebrity:D

I wore a "dressy" capri set on the Summit on the first casual night and was very underdressed. :eek: Capris stayed in the closet from then on! Like Lois, most women dressed in nice pant outfits or dresses every night. Formal night ladies are dressed to the nines and men wear a tux or dark suit. Semiformal night men wear jackets in the dining room but a tie is not required unless you are dining in the specialty resaurant..

Celebrity is the most formal of the mass market lines, but even all the others like RCCI and Carnival don't allow shorts in the dining room in the evening. Also, on Celebrity you're expected to stay dressed in the code of the evening for the entire evening. No going back to your room after dinner and changing into casual clothes.

I wore a "dressy" capri set on the Summit on the first casual night and was very underdressed. :eek: Capris stayed in the closet from then on! Like Lois, most women dressed in nice pant outfits or dresses every night. Formal night ladies are dressed to the nines and men wear a tux or dark suit. Semiformal night men wear jackets in the dining room but a tie is not required unless you are dining in the specialty resaurant..

I agree with you. The capris below the knee are just not dressy enough for casual dinner but I felt fine in the cropped pants-you know the ones that hit like 2 or 3 inches above the ankle.Some call those capris-you know the Mary Tyler Moore type pants she wore on the Dick Van Dyke show-that is what I myself call capris-to me the shorter ones are clam diggers or peddle pushers (those terms denote they are casul as shorts to me)-though every clothing catalog you pick up calls all the different lengths different things- so I guess the fashion industry has no set terms for these different lengths.

I also believe people post here asking because they don't want to feel out of place and are not among the group we see on all cruises that take the attitude "I paid for this cruise and I will wear what I want." So we should do a better job of letting first time cruisers know what you really see at dinner on a cruiseship as far as what the majority wear- not the folks who take the attitude "I paid for this cruise and I will wear what I want" .

I also expected since everyone here (except for me and you) were saying the shorter capris were okay the next thing we would see is posts asking are "dressy shorts" okay.

By the way folks I am not offended- just expressing my opinon once more. You are intitled to your opinions also.

Lois have a great time next week.

We were on Celebrity Summit last month, and I agree that on the whole it's a dressy crowd. I did wear pants for casual nights as did many others, but they were nice outfits. Call them casual plus.

During the day there were lots of people in jeans (standard apparel in AK) even in the dining room, but in the evening the jeans were stored and nice clothes came out. We had four casual, one informal, and two formal nights. There was only a little difference between casual and informal--not b/c informal was too casual but b/c casual was dressed up. There was a question before we cruised about that second informal evening that turned into casual. I took a sweater/skirt outfit that could go informal with heels, casual with sandals.

If you're debating between two outfits, my recommendation is to go for the dressier one. You'll feel more comfortable.

M/R

I also believe people post here asking because they don't want to feel out of place and are not among the group we see on all cruises that take the attitude "I paid for this cruise and I will wear what I want."
I think it is a bit of both, so we'd perhaps always be best-off in these threads to ask the OP directly which question they're asking ("What do most people wear, so I can fit in?" vs. "Will they allow me to dine wearing this?"). Of course, that is assuming that the objective is to answer the OP's question, rather than to represent a specific perspective. ;)

I think it is a bit of both, so we'd perhaps always be best-off in these threads to ask the OP directly which question they're asking ("What do most people wear, so I can fit in?" vs. "Will they allow me to dine wearing this?"). Of course, that is assuming that the objective is to answer the OP's question, rather than to represent a specific perspective. ;)

Yes bicker I may be strong in my opinions-true- ( I get your little dig aimed toward me) but I also remember my first cruise. I was scared to death about formal night. Would I be too dressy? not dressy enough? and LOL I did not even realize shorts were a no-no for the dinningroom. Fortunately it was only a 4 night cruise. I had brought a nice sundress thinking I might wear that so I was able to wear that to dinner one night. The first night I had a pair of white jeans on not realizing that was a no-no. Even though it was considered "okay" as it was the first night I still felt out of place. Another evening we stayed late in Cozumel so we just missed dinner on ship and grabbed a bite later on the Lido-we did this because we did not bring enough dinner clothes and did not want to break the rules.

By the way Bicker if you want to wear your shorts go ahead-as I said before PLEASE just come clean-the only time I was really agast at anyone was when I saw a group looking sloppy and dirty on formal night-would have much prefered them in clean shorts, tropicial shirts, jeans -whatever then that.

( I get your little dig aimed toward me)
No aim intended. I'm sure many folks can see themselves, though, in those words. :)

By the way Bicker if you want to wear your shorts go ahead
Who me? Ask my wife: It's a miracle that I ever wear shorts. I remember sweating summer-after-summer in pants, even at the beach, because I hated shorts. I surely don't wear shorts in restaurants! :eek:

It is important to keep in mind that people often support things they don't personally engage in. Heck, I support homosexuality even though (no apologies forthcoming) I find the idea of two guys kissing, uh, gross.

No aim intended. I'm sure many folks can see themselves, though, in those words. :)

Who me? Ask my wife: It's a miracle that I ever wear shorts. I remember sweating summer-after-summer in pants, even at the beach, because I hated shorts. I surely don't wear shorts in restaurants! :eek:

It is important to keep in mind that people often support things they don't personally engage in. Heck, I support homosexuality even though (no apologies forthcoming) I find the idea of two guys kissing, uh, gross.[/Q

Not offended even if itwais an "aim". I do have strong opinions I know and others do also- that is what makes these boards so interesting. I don't really see it as a matter of support though. I feel more the cruiselines should be a little more definite in what is acceptable or not. I am just one of those people who will not purposably go against" suggested wear"-(but then I guess that is our answer it is "suggested wear" and not a law.)

As I posted previously I did not understand there was a dresscode for the dinningroom my first cruise-I am sure it was in the cruise docs I just did not have sense enough to read them and I am not a "rebel" type person-I don't want to feel uncomfortable. I would also though feel uncomfortable in many restaurants at home dressed in shorts.

I had friends who also did not realise this their first cruise. They had brought shorts and formal wear so on the casual nights they just ordered room service. I guess they did not do much exploring-they did not even realise there was a casual lido restaurant.

Our next cruise in on Disney Wonder. I read posts over on their board that they do enforce the dresscode at Palos and if you come in jeans or shorts you are turned away.

Don't worry either-if you are not comfortable wearing something-don't I wouldn't. There is plenty I am not comfortable wearing myself.

Archived