Minor Complaint about the Fitness Center

msn123

Why is the pilates reformer in the fitness center the only piece of equipment that requires use only with an instructor (at exhorbitant rates---six times what I pay at home, I might add)?

I use this machine at home on a very regular basis (3 times a week) and actually have instructed in its use. Obviously, I know what I am doing and claiming a liabilty issue makes no sense as one could get hurt on any piece of equipment. On my first three cruises on these ships, I was able to use the reformer when it was not in use.

On our last cruise, I offered to pay for one "lesson" to prove that I knew what I was doing. After going through a routine I was "cleared" and allowed to use it, but I got a letter a couple of days later saying that the decision had been made that on future sailings I would have to pay for each and every session.

We are already scheduled for two more cruises with Oceania. I love everything else about the ship experience, but this is more than irritating. Is this unfair, or am I missing something?

Well, I try to compare cruise prices on the amenitities.

For example, I like to have wine with dinner. So I do an reality check with land prices, but the bottom line is really what you would pay on another cruise line.

Applying that philosophy in your case, I would compare what other lines charge for the service that you want. If O is in line, then I would chalk it up to "that's one of those strange profit centers for cruises". In other words cruises pick a few items to mark up alot like internet usage to make some profit that they don't put in their fares. It's irritating but if it's the norm I don't fight it and just factor it into the price of the cruise. that's how I try to keep my perspective on it.

Archived