Aft suite - dreaded vent or dreaded beam?!

TrinaLC

I am begging you all for an odor report for Diamond Princess C748 and C753. I'm planning to spend a month of my life in 2009 in those two cabins.

We had C753 on the Diamond and found it great. No smells or noise other than the sound of the ship's wake. I'd book it in a heart beat again.

Joel

We sailed with the vent off our Vista suite on the Diamond in Australia/New Zealand and the smell of garbage rendered the balcony useless. Princess knows it, when we inquired at the front desk the pursers immediately called HQ to request the standard package for these suites when passengers have issues.

We sailed with the vent off our Vista suite on the Diamond in Australia/New Zealand and the smell of garbage rendered the balcony useless. Princess knows it, when we inquired at the front desk the pursers immediately called HQ to request the standard package for these suites when passengers have issues.

What was the Suite #? We are presently looking at a 32 day booking,

VS DOLPHIN 738.

Thanks for advice.

We have just returned from our nine day cruise on the Caribbean Princess, and yes we were in Baja 751 with the dreaded beam. It is true that the beam is very large and does obstruct your view from inside the stateroom. There is however an offset to the obstructed views, the rest of the balcony is very large and can accomodate easily twice as many people as the other aft cabin balconies. You can get chairs around the beam and sit right next to the rail if you wish. This cabin is in a great location, with very little noise in the halls, no chance of anyone looking at you from above, and the noise from the wake ensures you don't hear your neighbors on their decks while you are underway and they do not hear you either. Botom line is; there is still a great view, you will be dry if it rains, and this balcony is very private. :)

We were on the Crown a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly we had c751 which was an aft suite with the BEAM! I hated it---always felt closed in and cheated out of a wonderful balcany. Needless to say my husband will not travel that class of ship again as the suites all have problems. The ones on the Riveriara deck seem to have noisy issues. and some of the other aft ones have smells. But to each his own.

Anyone stay in the Curacao Suite C749 on the Caribbean Princess? WE're going in a few weeks and would like a heads up. Thanks!

I had this room from 5-17 - 5-26, and I LOVED IT!! call it the dreaded vent if you like, but all we noticed was some "white noise." There was no smell of any type. There was noise. You will hear it when you first get onboard and you might think it will be quieter when you are sailing. It won't be quieter, but it didn't bother us. If we were sitting at the table we could have a pleasant conversation. We had breakfast on this balcony EVERY day and loved it. If we were both in the lounge chairs we could talk easily. If I was in the lounger and my finance was at the table then it was harder to hold a conversation. I would book this room again any time. I would rather have some noise than a huge beam. Also, we could still hear the water, so as long as you go into this suite expecting the white noise, I think you will love it. It's a beautiful room in an otherwise exceptionally quiet area. I hope you love it as much as we did!

Why not go for A-751 nestled between the Grand Suite and Owner's Suite? Same price - fewer neighbors and no beam issues whatsoever!

Rob

Rob, I have this suite booked for May 09...I see their is no beam issue

but how about the vent issue....Also is this balcony as big as it looks in

the pics that I see above??? Im excited about this suite:D

John

• 2 weeks later...

The beam (columns actually) run down through the aft facing end of the ship (stern?). It affects only some of the aft facing full suites and some of the aft facing Category BB balconies on the Grand Class ships.

If you are asking about mini-suites (on Dolphin or Emerald deck) located on either side of the ship, then these balconies have no obstructions of any kind.

We are actually interested in the VS suites located aft on the Dolphin and Emerald decks. On the travel websites they list the VS as aft starboard and aft port. So I was wondering if there is a beam in the VS and which cabins have it?

• 2 months later...

I guess the Diamond Princess and the Sapphire Princess are sister ships. Are the aft cabins for the Sapphire and Diamond the same configuration as on some of the other Princess ships in these threads? I splurged on stern cabin E733 (haven't told my wife yet that I upgraded from a mini-suite for an additional $2K). After reading some of these threads I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I think I may still have time to change to maybe a PS. I thought being aft and cuising along looking at the wake would be pretty cool. If I'm going to be looking out of our cabin at a beam, though, I don't know.......

After reading this entire thread and looking at pictures I hope I have it straight. We are booked in a PS Suite on the CB cabin C751. If I understand correctly we will have a beam on our deck but it shouldn't be that bad. I probably won't complain because we were upgraded from an AE Mini Suite. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know. I think I rather have a beam than a vent blowing. :)

2good2b-

I actually picked the aft cabins over the PH's in the middle of the ship.

I love the aft cabins- looking over into the ocean leaving a port sipping a drink very romantic. We had these cabins before and I like the beam better then the vent. I have also been in a suite in the front of the ship.

Hands down I love aft better. IMO I think you'll love it have fun and enjoy maybe an ultimate balcony dinner also???

Andrea

I have C750 on the Crown for my upcoming cruise (I think that's similar to the CB, right?) I looked at the pictures over and over and I don't think the beams are going to be any big deal. And I too love the idea of being Aft and watching the wake.

2good2b-

I actually picked the aft cabins over the PH's in the middle of the ship.

I love the aft cabins- looking over into the ocean leaving a port sipping a drink very romantic. We had these cabins before and I like the beam better then the vent. I have also been in a suite in the front of the ship.

Hands down I love aft better. IMO I think you'll love it have fun and enjoy maybe an ultimate balcony dinner also???

Andrea

THANK YOU! The ultimate balcony dinner sounds great! We will definitely do one.:)