sea sick preventative

This is the thread peoples that Dennis is referring to in his complaint.

He posted after I had offered some advice to Kirsten, highlighting the fact to get "qualified" advice, which he has reiterated in his complaint saying not to listen to scuttlebug. sorry, I was offended by that, I feel all advice on here is useful, it may work for you it may not.

Anyway, won't go on, but I think that Dennis showed his true colours, theres a lot of anger there in those words, those that know me know that I am far from self important, I am definately NOT an expert, I just love CC, the people on it, and the ones I have met.

Dennis I remember you calling Kym (skyrules) pedantic?? is it ok for you to have an opinion and no one else??

Sorry for putting this on here, but Dennis' complaint is locked!!

Chez

xx

Hi Chez, we who have been on the board a while know that you are not

"self important".

that last comment that was locked. It didn't make sense to me because getting sick on a small boat is different to being on a ship.

I admit to getting seasick going out from here in my husbaband's boat.

we are a happy lot on P&O Australia, and when people rock the boat (a pun) we all jump to a mates defence.

we still love you Chez xxx

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi Chez, we who have been on the board a while know that you are not

"self important".

that last comment that was locked. It didn't make sense to me because getting sick on a small boat is different to being on a ship.

I admit to getting seasick going out from here in my husbaband's boat.

we are a happy lot on P&O Australia, and when people rock the boat (a pun) we all jump to a mates defence.

we still love you Chez xxx

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Thankyou so much Lorraine, your words mean so much:) I love CC and cruising, and love helping people, and if you can have fun while you do it, why not?? I am not apologising for that:D

Chez

xx

Having read this thread, I'm supprised at the response Dennis recieved. I used to think that anyone could give their honest opinion on here, sadly it seems that if you differ to anothers opinion you will be flamed:eek: . Not trying to stir the pot here but, lets lighten up a little.:p

Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to know what everyone uses to prevent sea sickness. I dont know if i get sea sick (i am bound to find out). I heard about kwells but then was told that you cannot drink with them. Then someone told me about the wristbands. I heard that they are good and that you dont have to wear them until you feel sick then put them on and they work. Has anyone used them or seen them on anyone. I figure that you wouldnt miss someone walking past with 2 wristbands on.

Has anyone had the shot from the doctor. How much is it. I have heard prices ranging from $90 to $300 dollars. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi Kirston

We are cruising Jan 08 and have a course of these tablets to take.

Fisherman friends of ours swear by them- not fishing off the coast but deep sea -100% success rate they reacon.

Google it and see what you think.

Happy sailing

Having read this thread, I'm supprised at the response Dennis recieved. I used to think that anyone could give their honest opinion on here, sadly it seems that if you differ to anothers opinion you will be flamed:eek: . Not trying to stir the pot here but, lets lighten up a little.:p

This is very much a place where people can give honest opinions :D

Just wondering though, did you read Dennis' locked thread too? He was very damning in it which is why people have jumped to Chez's defence.

I'm all for keeping things light and friendly too, so in keeping with that feeling........

THERE'S ONLY 22 DAYS TIL CHRISTMAS!!!!!:p :D :p

Yes you were right, he did give his honest opinion as was everyone else, but he then decided to start the name calling and sledging of other members who were simply doing the same. I honestly think he was one of those people who gets off on causing conflict. I really do appreciate eveyones comments and you start to be able to tell whos you would listen to.

Yes, I agree with you there:) I was just offended that Dennis would think that those that give replies are not"qualifed" but yes he is entitled to have his say. Dennis was the one to make the complaints to the moderators and have things locked and moved not me, I am happy for us to agree to disagree. I have not attacked Dennis personally as he has me.

Chez

xx

I am going to have to do a search on Maxalon. I have never heard of it, and being a nurse anesthetist I am curious about the pro's/con's.

I wonder how it works?

I will find out and post soon.

I've had injections of both stematil & moxolon recently for migraines. Stematil makes you sleepy but Maxolon doesn't. They are both anti-nausea drugs. You can get a small dose of maxolon combined with paracetamol over the counter in Australia called "Anagraine" Otherwise both drugs are prescription only.

Chez,

Your value on these boards is far more than the importance you would place on it. You are one of several here that I value opinions from. I have learned so much here, and not just about cruising.

I am not here to jump to your defence, but to tell you your voice here is important to me, and I hope you continue to express your opinions on these boards.

And for all, my opinion FWIW,

If you haven't been seasick, you do not know what remedy will fix it. If you know you will be seasick, a doctor or pharmacist can help, but they cannot tell you if you will or wont.

I also think to offer "personal remedies" here is scary, and you should stick to known remedies if you get sick. I believe that importing Pahaia Bombs is illegal, and an expensive way to buy anti-hystamine and caffiene tablets anyway.

Cheers

Geoff

Sorry Chez,

But I can see where Dennis was going with his input. I have been sailing on dinghies and cruise ships, navy ships and ferries. He is right. Nearly everybody will get sea sick at some stage. I haven't suffered for nearly 20 years but I take precautions to ensure it doesn't happen.

Talking to your Gp is sound advice. Some people may be on medication and some of our recommendations on here would not be suitable.

I don't believe he was trying to go on the attack...however....

I can see where typing things in italics and bold print would get up ones nose.

The OP was asking for advice from fellow cruisers, knowing we are not doctors but giving our thoughts on what works best. So.....

In my unqualified experience, I have found that kwells do not work for me. Neither do the wrist bands, nor the ginger tablets. Neither do the pressure tabs behind the ears, putting a bandaid on the belly button or cotton wool inside the one ear.

I take Phenergan tablets with me, and as a backup, Avil. Dramamine isn't too bad and neither is polaramine. All these are antihistimine and will make you drowsy. I take a packet of dry crackers to nibble on and green apples won't make you heave.

Dennis...sorry to see you leave old chap. I have enjoyed some of your threads...but Chez is NOT full of self importance at all. She is a very caring person and answers questions with honesty and diplomacy.

We all have differing opinions here, and each should be able to express them without any come back. Now shake hands and stop sulking. Both of you!!!:p

Kaz

Haha Kaz, I am far from sulking, waste of energy:D

I would have been happy to discuss anything with Dennis on the thread, and everyone else have their say, as they did, he chose this way, with all the nastiness, not sure I would shake hands though now..........;)

Anyway, lets leave it at that, everyone has choices in life etc....

Chez

xx

This is the thread peoples that Dennis is referring to in his complaint.

He posted after I had offered some advice to Kirsten, highlighting the fact to get "qualified" advice, which he has reiterated in his complaint saying not to listen to scuttlebug. sorry, I was offended by that, I feel all advice on here is useful, it may work for you it may not.

Anyway, won't go on, but I think that Dennis showed his true colours, theres a lot of anger there in those words, those that know me know that I am far from self important, I am definately NOT an expert, I just love CC, the people on it, and the ones I have met.

Dennis I remember you calling Kym (skyrules) pedantic?? is it ok for you to have an opinion and no one else??

Sorry for putting this on here, but Dennis' complaint is locked!!

Chez

xx

Hi I don't think your post sounded offensive and if anything you sound like a nice and fun person! :)

I have been on 10 cruises and never been sea sick, thank god. Hope I never do!! :eek: On the other hand my mother gets very sea sick. She has tried two cruises and tried the injection and wrist bands. But the injection did work, it just knocked her out and she couldn't enjoy the cruise. Unfortunately now she can't go on a cruise cause of being seasick. :(

Can you remember the name of the popular travel sickness tablets that the yanks use?? We can't get it here...it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite get it.

Kaz

Is it Bonine or something?

Karen

MMMMWWWWWAAAAAAA!!! big kisses Chez, to make the boo boos better!!:D

Seems a few people are getting a bit uptight lately on these boards...maybe they need some Christmas spirit??!! Bottle of scotch maybe??

Anyway...I leave in 16 days so I have all my seasickness meds packed and ready to go...yay!!! 2 days in Disney, then join the ship on the 22nd.

Can you remember the name of the popular travel sickness tablets that the yanks use?? We can't get it here...it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite get it.

Kaz

Kaz ... is it Bonine???? That seems to be the one that pops up on the boards a lot!

And I agree about the Christmas spirit! (Bring it on I say!!!!:eek: ) We've got problems in the office with everyone getting a bit edgey!

Lucky you ... 16 days to go! Very jealous!:D

Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to know what everyone uses to prevent sea sickness. I dont know if i get sea sick (i am bound to find out). I heard about kwells but then was told that you cannot drink with them. Then someone told me about the wristbands. I heard that they are good and that you dont have to wear them until you feel sick then put them on and they work. Has anyone used them or seen them on anyone. I figure that you wouldnt miss someone walking past with 2 wristbands on.

Has anyone had the shot from the doctor. How much is it. I have heard prices ranging from $90 to $300 dollars. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi

Re seasickness.

Ginger..caps or tea

Several years ago the U. of Utah at Salt Lake did a study on medications re ginger caps and found the ginger gave as much or more relief with no side effects. (Nausea, sleepiness et al.)

My wife and I have used it several times with no problem

You probably (?) could pull up the study on Google

Best of luck

Dean M.

This may sound weird, but I get a bit motion sick when playing playstation games LOL! I take a ginger pill and it passes very quickly. Try them, and see how you go.

Ahahaha... I can picture it now...

Bike Helmet - Check, Gloves - Check, Goggles - Check, Downing the Ginger Tablet - Check

Mr Minxy - Where on earth are you going?

MsMinxy - Just getting ready to play playstation

:p :p :p

Ahahaha... I can picture it now...

Bike Helmet - Check, Gloves - Check, Goggles - Check, Downing the Ginger Tablet - Check

Mr Minxy - Where on earth are you going?

MsMinxy - Just getting ready to play playstation

:p :p :p

LOL it's TRUE!!!! I had to sell my "Croc" game on ebay because every time I played it i'd puke hahaha :D

Yes you were right, he did give his honest opinion as was everyone else, but he then decided to start the name calling and sledging of other members who were simply doing the same. I honestly think he was one of those people who gets off on causing conflict. I really do appreciate eveyones comments and you start to be able to tell whos you would listen to.

Missed out on the bun fight......:confused:and for the life of me I can't see what the whoha was about with Denis' FIRST POST ....guess i must be having another one of those practicing senior moments:eek:......... I am going to agree with him in regards to getting proper medical advice though.. its your first cruise and nothing should be allowed to spoil it........sure your doctor will ask do you get seasick and your answer will be "shrug the shoulders" ....but he/she is the one with your medical history and is the best judge as to what meds may or may not be suitable....lots of people here mention Stemetil and Maxalon....you will need a script for them so take all the great info you have got from here and go chat with the Dr i am sure he/she will be more than happy to help....will probably be greeeeeeen with envy... We never leave home without Kwells, Avomine.....(used to take Travacalm but on advice from my Dr they are now on my banned list).. and Stemetil..

shiona

Yes yes yes!!!!!! Bonine...I was thinking something to do with cows...(well, bovine is close!!).

Kaz

LMAO

I'll have to remember that next time I'm a bit green behind the gills.

"take two Bovine" Medium Rare with mushroom sauce.

That's weird - this thread got 'moved' and now it's back :confused:

Minxy moment there Liz?:p

There was a double post of this, and the extra one got moved into this one. Check the index, and the moved one is sliding down the page

Cheers

Geoff

maybe they need some Christmas spirit??!! Bottle of scotch maybe??

Speaking of Christmas spirit has anyone noticed that the craziness has started early this year the shop keepers in certain shops are getting ruder now and he pushing and nudging and craziness has already begun......As much as i love christmas i hate shopping at this time of year

Megan

Archived