sea sick preventative

This is exactly what I have been told by a friend of mine who is a pharmacist. In regards to the drowsiness and my daughters I just figured a couple of cans of coke throughout the day would counteract any drowsiness effect they may have and they will think all of their Christmas's have come at once because I hardly ever buy coke for them :p

Some people have no problem with medication that state "May cause drowsiness", but some people (like me) the effects can be dramatic. I would fall asleep about half an hour after taking them and be groggy for hours after that.

All of the travel sickness medications CAN cause drowsiness, it just depends on how it affects you.

I would suggest trying one before you cruise to see how it affects you personally.

If they work for you, great

PS: My husband is a Pharmacist

Linda

I have tried to research Meclizine after my last cruise. It doesn't appear to be available in Australia.

Meclizine is non drowsy where Dramamine and Travacalm is drowsy.

Linda

Hi Linda

Travacalm Originals have caffeine in them to counteract the sleepiness ....but only the Originals..... Bonine/Meclizine ..can cause drowsiness...like all meds not everyone has a reaction........you do have to be very very careful when drinking alcohol and taking the travel meds though..... cheers shiona.

Wow Kaz - amazing!

You mean that when the doctor said to stick them up my a**e, he was actually being fair dinkum? :o

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I never worry about getting seasick.....have been on 21 cruises and have sailed through some really treacherous seas but have never been seasick but i do suffer chronic VB flu LOL.Di occassional ly gets seasick and swears by stemitil.She knows they work for her and i reckon it takes the stress away worrying you might get seasick.....the trick is if you get seasick find something that works for you and you will have many happy cruises.By the way the best remedy for VB flu is another VB.

Cheers

Doctor Fox

Some people have no problem with medication that state "May cause drowsiness", but some people (like me) the effects can be dramatic. I would fall asleep about half an hour after taking them and be groggy for hours after that.

Im the same I tend to be affected by paracetamol as well so taking other medication is a fun....

I work in retail and believe me, the cutomers are getting ruder too. No one seems to have any patience these days.

Karen

I dont doubt it. I really dont want to go shopping it spoils this time of year. We are heading up to Coffs Harbour end of next week so we will do some last minute shopping up there and be done. Shops are usually quieter and we can get up to the shops earlier and out before the crowds start.

Have not read through all the posts..BUT did anybody mention 'GINGER CAPSULES' for sea sicknessess prevention.? Toward the end of the Regal Princess cruise, yes with the 40 foot seas off NZ..we took 6 ginger capsules a day for 3 days..never missed a meal. No side effects either, you can partake of inxoticating beverages!!

Ginger is an old seamans remedy.:cool: Way to go.

I have never been seasick and have been a quite a number of cruises, one 6 weeks long and thru cyclones but my DH gets so very sick especially on small boats.( He provides the best burly on deep sea fishing trips.) He has been ok on all our cruises, at first he would use the wristbands but he hasnt the last few times and has been fine. I think the stablizers may have a lot to do with it. I think that the truth is there are 3 types of people, some who will never get sick, some who always will and then those who will when its certain conditions. DH has a mate who swears by garlic tablets too.

Hi guys,

i use avomine because it lasts for 24hrs. I take one the night before i sail so that it's in the system and then i take one before bed which i think solves any problems with drowsiness.

The last 2 cruises i have had vertigo which is really weird but fairly common on board apparently, i was just having a stemetil every day and that kept it at bay. Needed it for a few days after we got home too!

I didn't need the avomine after the first night on board-probably didn't need it in the first place but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

Happy cruising all,

Sharon :)

Hi guys,

i use avomine because it lasts for 24hrs. I take one the night before i sail so that it's in the system and then i take one before bed which i think solves any problems with drowsiness.

The last 2 cruises i have had vertigo which is really weird but fairly common on board apparently, i was just having a stemetil every day and that kept it at bay. Needed it for a few days after we got home too!

I didn't need the avomine after the first night on board-probably didn't need it in the first place but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

Happy cruising all,

Sharon :)

Hi Sharon

How was your cruise on the Dawn? We haven't heard from anyone with their thoughts on her since the maiden voyagers came back. I see you were fortunate enough to get to Myster Island.

Karen

• 5 weeks later...

I have some Avomine ready to pack, but see many use by Kwells. I don't want to feel drowsy but do need to take something until I find my sea legs (at least until we reach the quieter eastern side of NZ).Travelcalm with caffeine may be better than the Avomine I have. Both are OTC preps. The GP will give me a scrip for Stemeze as well, should I need it. Has anyone used the latter as a preventative and which of the other two is better in your opinion?

I would really appreciate you input here.

Here's to a calm ride. ;) Cheers

Anna

Hello Kirsten,

I see you sail the day before us. On my first cruise I thought I would have the woosies, and did.The soup, bread and fresh air worked wonders along with the Stemetil I got from my GP. I can say that the ginger didn't work for me, I haven't tried the bands but will be trying the antihistamines (phernergan type) this time. I have since learned (from CC ) that you start antihistamines 1-2 days before the cruise. I got Avomine over the counter and they last 24hrs. I've heard the Kwells are good too, providing they aren't the natural ginger ones. Some suggest you take 1 each night when the seas are big. If you have to get the injection (phernergan based I believe), you could be looking at around $150. Hope that helps you decide what you need to take. Incidentally, I also get carsick in the back seat.

Have a top cruise.

Kinkacruiser

I can relate to all of this. I get motion sick if it gets rough, and also in a car on winding mountain roads. That has not stopped me from cruising (#19 coming up in February). I tried stemetil once, but would caution against it. It stopped the nausea, but I still felt dreadful. I think it was worse than if I had thrown up. (Sorry to give you such details.) I think either an anti-histamine or Kwells would be a better option. Some people swear by ginger, but that would not do it for me. Take some preventative, then forget about it and enjoy.

See you on the Sun.:):)

I have tried to research Meclizine after my last cruise. It doesn't appear to be available in Australia.

Meclizine is non drowsy where Dramamine and Travacalm is drowsy.

Linda

I have taken dramamine, but on one occasion I was 'spaced out' and constantly falling asleep for half a day. Not good. For several years now I have taken a German medication called Reisetabletten.Stada. I have found it FANTASTIC although I get seasick very easily. The one time this tablet let me down was on a light plane trip over the Bungle Bungle, but the plane was very small, and the flight was very bumpy. These tablets last 24 hours, and they cost around $1 per tablet if you can get them. :D

Take about 6 ginger capsules per day when it starts to rock and roll, helped us on Regal in the 40 footers. Washed down with scotch and dry GINGER ALE of course.!

Phenergan in tablet or liquid form great too, but make you drowsy. If you go to the Ship's Doctor with sea sickness, they will usually give you a phenergan injection in the buttocks! Ouch!

Cheers..Les:cool:

Hi everyone,

I get sea sick really easily and just thought I would let you know of my experiences. I need to take one quell tablet everytime I get on a boat. Last year in New Zealand we caught the Interisland ferry to the North Island and I was very concerned that it would be rough so my husband and I took 2 tablets each( never done that before ) after about an hour I started to have vision problems-nothing major , just fuzzy, cloudy vision , had a dry mouth and feeling very lethargic. My dh had the same symptoms and this lasted about 3 hours. We never have any symptoms when we take one tablet. A friend of mine took one quell tablet (had never taken quells before )when she got on a plane with me a while back and she had the same symptoms as I had with 2 tablets. She ended up sleeping nearly the whole flight!

In October on Pacific star I took one quell 1 hour before getting on and one 25mg. Phernagan table that night before bed.It wasnt rough at all only 1 mtr seas. Next day took one quell about lunchtime then didnt bother with anymore tablets at all as it was still calm waters. About 5 days into the cruise, went to bed- about half an hour later started to feel sick. I hadnt drank much alcohol and the seas were still the same so I put it down to something I ate. I took a 25mg phernagan to help fix it. After half an hour I took 2 more 25mg phernagan tablets as I was still feeling sick. This was the max recommended dose. I felt better after 15mins. So I put it down to seasickness. Next morning I was fine but took one phernagan the next 2 nights just in case. Dont know if they make me sleepy as I took them at night deliberately !

Just a note - I hadnt taken phernagan before so I took a half a tablet while I was at home- just in case I was allergic to it. Would hate to find out on the ship !!:eek:

Hope this helps someone

Happy cruising

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Disappointed to find ginger capsules & ginger travacalm was all that was available in the ship's shop on Pacific Star in Dec. We had used up all our kwells & were both quite sick. DH threw up after taking ginger capsules so that's how effective they were for him! We wanted drugs! Bought something called "Sea Legs" in chemist in Suva for trip home but didn't need them. I know I bought Kwells on Pacific Sky in 2004 so don't know why P&O only had natural remedies available this time.

Wow i am so surprised that this thread has risen from the dead!! Thanks to everyone who has put their input in on it. You are all a great help. I think i will try the ginger capsules and if that does not work then go get the jab. I am going to go with the dont stress about it theory.

Cheers,

Kirsten

:D We took enough kwells for the 4 of us last cruise (2 adults, 2 kids) but came back with enough packs for DH and I to take on the next cruise

It was so calm, we stopped taking them after day 2.

We didnt know what to expect being our first cruise- especially with kids!

This time, we will take kwells again, as we are not midship- we are up near the front, and may experience more movement.

BRING ON MAY 3 !!!!! :D

I am planning on taking Stugeron, as mentioned by KaseyOZ. When ever someone heads to the UK when get them to bring a few boxes back.

I have used them on the Cook Strait crossing (can get pretty hairy! and was just about always sick when it got a bit rough) and they are the only things that work.

We (DH and 2 kids) took this on our first cruise last September and found in worked an absolute treat. There were many others that spent a lot of time in their cabins on qued down at the doctor for jabs. The swells were 2.5 - 3m for a lot of the time and this seemed to be enough to knock down quite a few people. My DH gets sea sick on the Brisbane City Cats (LOL - not quite) but you know what I mean and he was fine. We took them the nite before we sailed and then each nite of the cruise just before and bed. Hope this helps and have a great time.

Archived