Any last minute health 'woes'?

kdinkus1

Can NOT believe this! My mother died in October, my parotid glands swelled up the size of baseballs, I was exposed to MONO (I'm ok!! but was a basket case for a month), and now I am having an allergic reaction to something that has caused my face to look like I have the measles! With only 2 weeks to go, I wonder what's next? Anyone else have 'last-minute' health scares? Please someone pray for me! ugh....:(

Can NOT believe this! My mother died in October, my parotid glands swelled up the size of baseballs, I was exposed to MONO (I'm ok!! but was a basket case for a month), and now I am having an allergic reaction to something that has caused my face to look like I have the measles! With only 2 weeks to go, I wonder what's next? Anyone else have 'last-minute' health scares? Please someone pray for me! ugh....:(

5 days before a cruise (after waiting a year for it) I came down with pneumonia, doc thought it was TB & placed me under quarentine (sp?) and I couldn't cruise. Sadly for us we had to cancel our trip & made the mistake of NOT buying trip insurance. Needless to say we have bought insurance for the last two & I'm getting ready to purchase some for my cruise in January. Good luck to you & consider yourself prayed for!

Hello gammy3gks, The day before our last three vacations my husband has ended up with a weird 24 hour flu like symptoms. The kids and I are convinced it is pyscologically induced! Last cruise he was up all night the night before in the hotel room throwing up. Even threw up while we were waiting to board. Bad Mexican food the night before was the culprit. We boarded the ship and within an hour he was right as rain. So don't worry count your blessings that you are getting it out of the way now! That way you will be ailment free while cruising. Load up on the benadryl, allergic reactions have a short duration and are not contagious so you are good to go. Michele :D

The week before we sailed, I developed a serious complication of this medical problem I have.

Basically, I get a staph infection in the bloodstream about every 6 months.

So--I was sick before we left, taking strong antibiotics-then got sick on the ship because of all the antibiotics.

I guess ***t happens to everybody. :)

Prayers to you.

Pat

Three days before a 7 day cruise, my dh (who had NEVER been sick a day) developed gall bladder symptoms. At 10:pm that night he had his gall baldder removed :eek:

Thankfully he did well with surgery and since I'm a nurse, I loaded up with every possible RX I might need and off we sailed! The first few days were rough for him, I tucked him into bed and did my thing checking frequently with him (I left him walkie talkie). We ate, took little walks and let him relax and heal.

He felt better towards the end of the trip, even went cave tubing in Belize the final port day.:eek: :eek: :eek: I sent a photo to the surgeon (coworker) of him cave tubiing with the caption, "8 days post-op - what a great surgeon" he told me later he glued, tied and zapped his way through the surgery cause he knew I was going to go on that trip!

We did have trip insurance and I did have thoughts/visions of him needing to be airlifted off the ship from the middle of the ocean d/t complications post-op but off we went:p

If I ever have surgery I want to recover on a cruiseship.....hmmmm maybe there's a need for a new type of nurse service???

BTW, dh owes me bigtime on this next cruise, think dancing with the stars stuff here! I'll be calling him twinkle toes on the dancefloor. My turn. Paybacks.

Jan

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. And all your woes. I would be glad to add you to my prayer list! God Bless you!!

While you're on your cruise, I hope you'll enjoy some alone time just staring at the ocean or enjoying a sunrise or sunset. I lost my husband three years ago this month and I think of him during my quiet moments when I cruise. It's very refreshing for me.

I am travelling with my mother in Feb and chose not to get insurance. I figure I'll cruise no matter what and my PVP has said it's only $50 for a name change. I worry about it, tho'. She's prone to falling and her mind is going. BUT, I love her and I'll be happy to care for her while we cruise!

You're in my prayers... And don't forget to post how your trip went!!! I have confidence you'll be fine!!

LK

Thanks for all the kind words, thoughts and prayers!! Means so much.

usgoobers5: My DH loaded me up with benadryl and insisted I put antihistamine cream all over my face this morning... Looking better all ready!!

Zukeeper4: Had my gallbladder out before our last cruise too. More days to recoup and surgery was easy. Don't know that I would have been brave enough to travel so quickly after it but admire those who do!! But you're right... What a way to recoup!! BTW: would LOVE to see some DWTS moves on a cruise ship.

LambKnuckles: Thank you for your kind words about losing my mom. So much has been going on here that I really haven't had time to 'grieve'. Our son is getting married the day before we fly out and with all these health woes.. I'm afraid of crashing! My DH has told me to take this time and sit out on our balcony and revisit all the good times with my mother. I am sorry to hear of your loss as well! Our dear friend just lost his wife last yr at this time and I can't imagine the pain the two of you are feeling! He just returned from a cruise with his 2 daughters in celebration of his wife's life and seemed good. May God be with you too.

For all future posters: Thank you so much for responding!

Hope everything works out for you.

I had a almost issue last year. We had booked for April and I have a bad back and had to cancel. It turned out to be a blessing because one week before we were to leave my DH dropped a shelf on his toe and he ended up in the medical walk-in the week that we were to be on the ship:eek: His toe was infected under the nail (it never broke the skin). He was on antibiotics and could not walk for three days:( He is also a diabetic. It took about three months (and two rounds of antibiotics) and a trip to the foot doctor every other week before it was all healed. I told him if we were on the ship he would have had to spend most of it in bed and in a foreign country they might have cut his toe off:eek:

Archived