Amsterdam/Asia Cruise - The Ports-Part 2

bobpatj

DALIAN, CHINA - This city is northwest of Cheju City and we enjoyed a sea day, in between. It’s a very attractive big city, one that I’d never heard of. Our CSI tour was called Coastal Drive & Kite Flying. We first visited the large and beautiful Xinghai Square, completed in 1997 to celebrate the return of Hong Kong to China. Then we took a hilly road to scenic Beida Bridge, Tiger Beach area, and Labor Park, where we were each given a kite to fly in almost windless conditions. It was fun watching all these grandmas & grandpas trying to get their kite in the air. (We got to keep them.) After lunch on the ship, we took the shuttle into the shopping area where the 8 story Friendship Store was located. We would have walked around more, but the traffic was terrible and no cars stop for pedestrians! We didn’t know at the time that there are underground passages beneath the streets, “subways.” Dalian was a nice introduction to the Peoples Republic of China.

XINGANG, CHINA - This was our port for Beijing. We were docked in an industrial area. It was a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive to Beijing. We were here for two days, and rather taking two day trips back and forth, we decided to take the CSI overnight trip. I’d heard stories of bad air pollution in Beijing and brought along masks to wear there. When our bus arrived, the sky was blue and the air clear! Our first stop was the old residential area, Hutongs. We got there by two passenger pedicabs, a fun but bumpy ride. We visited a family home. Then we had lunch in the Fangshan Restaurant, where food was placed on large “lazy susans” in the center of the table, and you served yourselves from it, using chopsticks or utensils to eat. Next, we toured the Forbidden City, much of it under renovation, in preparation for the 2008 Olympics. What an amazing place! Crowded, too! Next was Tiananmen Square, a short distance away, but it took the bus almost an hour to get there, due to so much traffic, and by then it was dark. It was nice to see the lights on the buildings surrounding the Square. Our group (two busses) had our picture taken here. We then went to our hotel, the New Otani, a Japanese chain. We enjoyed a buffet style dinner with so many wonderful choices. Our room was very nice and sure was a lot bigger than our cabin on the ship!

The next morning, we had to be up early and on the road for more wonderful sites. Our buffet breakfast had many choices and our whole experience at the hotel was very nice. On our same bus with our same guide, a young man who spoke English very well, took us first to the Summer Palace. This day dawned foggy and we had a few sprinkles, while there. The buildings, gardens and sculptures are amazing. We took a boat ride on the lake - wonderful, in spite of the weather. Next we headed to the Great Wall of China. Where we were was not in the guidebooks, but 1000s of people were there, including all the busses from the ship. By the time we got there, the skies had cleared. We only had an hour here, but managed a long steep climb as far as we thought we could go, and were very proud of our accomplishment. The views from the top were beautiful. I’m still pinching myself about being there! Our lunch spot was at a huge Jade Factory, the same “family” style meal as the day before, but not as lavish. Of course there was a huge gift shop here and I’m sure our group made many purchases. We were then back on the bus to the ship. One comment to make about Beijing - there were always hawkers around the bus and foreign visitors, either selling postcards, watches, hats, t-shirts, purses, etc. They always dropped the price, if you walked away and always priced in dollars. Quantity, not quality! We were asked not to buy from them, but many did.

SHANGHAI, CHINA - Due to the tides, we had to dock in the industrial area, about an hour from town. We arrived here after a day at sea, and we had two days to tour Shanghai.

Our tours were with CSI. After lunch on the ship, we took a bus for the MagLev Train Ride & New Shanghai tour. Shanghai is HUGE! Traffic is terrible! You must be very careful if you have to cross the street. The train ride is fun. It’s an 8 minute ride to the Pudong Airport and back, at very fast speed. There are no wheels - you float on an electromagnetic cushion. We then toured the financial center and viewed the city from the 88th floor of the Jinmao Building. After a few more city sites, we went to the Mandarin Hotel for dinner. There were about 6 stations of all kinds of delicious foods - salads, meats, vegetables, pastas, curries, desserts, a chocolate fountain - whew! After dinner, we went to the Shanghai Acrobat Show - amazing!!!

Our second day, we took the CSI tour Shanghai Sampler; Gardens & Temples. This was a real test for me, as the crowds were so heavy everywhere we went, that it was just not as enjoyable. Our first visit was to the Jade Buddha Temple, a very interesting group of buildings and Buddhas statues. There was even a statue of a female Buddha! It is the most famous and busiest working Buddhist temple in the south of China. The Jade Buddha cannot be photographed, but is something to see. Then we went to the very crowded Yuyuan Garden, which was once part of a private home. You enter into a crowded shopping area, from the busy street. Once you can get through the crowds to the small gardens, they are beautiful. We didn’t allow time to shop, which was too bad, because there was something for everyone here! Again, we were hounded by hawkers and saw many beggars on the streets, too.

HONG KONG - After two sea days, we arrived here on a hazy and warm morning. Our dock is on Kowloon, and from our cabin, we had a wonderful view of Hong Kong Island. We were here for two days. Our first day HAL tour was Hong Kong Island Sightseeing. taking us first to Victoria Peak, by the funicular tram ride, to view the harbor and city. Then, our bus met us for a drive to the south of the island to Deep Water Bay and Repulse Bay, and then to Aberdeen. Here we got to ride on a sampan, viewing houseboats, the Jumbo floating restaurant and sites along the waterfront. There was a huge shopping mall at the pier and we walked through there and around the shopping streets, in the afternoon. At 8 pm, there is a music and light show, on the buildings on both sides of the harbor, which we watched from deck 9, and hearing no music, we really missed out on the entire experience.

Our second day, we took the CSI Lantau Island’s Big Buddha tour. We first stopped at the Tsing Ma Bridge viewing area for great views and upon reaching Lantau island, we had to change busses. Only Lantau busses are allowed to tour the island. The cable car to the Po Lin Monastery was not working, so our tour was all by bus. We stopped at Cheung Sha Beach and then Tai O fishing village, quite a contrast to the BIG cities we’ve visited. Then, to the Monastery and the giant bronze Giant Buddha Statue, We had a vegetarian lunch at the Monastery, “family: style,” then a stop at the Ngong Ping 360 village to experience, “Walking with the Buddha.” Back to the ship, we made a point of watching the light show where we could hear the music, and it was wonderful!

SINGAPORE - Two days at sea followed and then we arrived in Singapore, our last port on this wonderful cruise. HAL offered a Panoramic Singapore & Airport Transfer tour to passengers disembarking the ship. That helped to take away the sadness of leaving the beautiful Amsterdam, and the majority of the passengers continuing on their way for the remaining 32 days of the voyage. Our bus took us to the highest point, for views of the city and the port, a Gemstone Handicraft Factory and store, then to the Singapore Botanical Gardens, to walk through the National Orchid Garden. We visited the Arab Quarter, Little India, and Old Chinatown. The bus took us to the airport and we readied ourselves for the long flight(s) home.

A word to the ladies - I was quite concerned about using the “facilities,” in Asia, as I’d heard, from various sources, what to expect. Happily, every “pit stop” we made always had at least one “western style” stall. If it had a handicapped sign on it, you knew it was “western.”

This was a wonderful trip, and we found cruising Asia as a perfect way to visit.

Thanks so much Pat for sharing your experiences with us. I am booked on next year's Grand Asia/Australia cruise and every little bit of information about the various ports helps me so much in the planning, but more importantly in the excitement leading up to the cruise.

I did the first half of the Amsterdam's GWV much earlier this year and got to visit some incredible ports, several of which I had known about but never in a million years thought that I would ever get to see, and I had such a great time that I signed up for the 2008 Grand Asia/Australia cruise as soon as I got home because this particular cruise would take me back to some ports I absolutely loved and also to some that I have never visited and am so looking forward to experiencing.

Honestly, I learned a lot from your posts so once again, thank you.

Valerie:)

Hi again Pat:

I was re-reading your post on Petropavlovsk and noticed that part of your tour there was a stop at the local market. Is this the market where one can buy the gorgeous flowers that Nick (Foxpaw) mentioned in one of his posts? I would really like to buy some flowers there to brighten up the cabin.

Earlier this year I bought some gorgeous flowers in both Papeete and Pago Pago - enough in both places that my cabin steward was laughing at me - that is until one of the arrangements tipped over and dumped water all over the floor. He wasn't so happy with me then!

Valerie:D

Valerie,

I don't remember seeing flowers, there. There was a lot of fish, caviar, canned goods, some fresh fruits & vegetables. Nick may have bought flowers there, but because there was wet snow, that morning, I really doubt it. Check with him. :)

Valerie,

I don't remember seeing flowers, there. There was a lot of fish, caviar, canned goods, some fresh fruits & vegetables. Nick may have bought flowers there, but because there was wet snow, that morning, I really doubt it. Check with him. :)

Thanks Pat for your reply. Nick took the same tour you did and didn't mention buying flowers but said that some of the passengers had gone to the market and came back with gorgeous flowers. He didn't say which market but I will check with him.

How are things in Cleveland Heights? I used to live right behind Shaker Square, on Buckeye Road waaaaay back when. I have very fond memories of Cleveland and of the people who live there but I don't miss the snow for one moment:eek: .

Valerie:D

• 1 month later...

Archived