"Naughty Room"

arawak

I'm not sure what this is, but, reading between the lines, I gather that you are taken there to have any liquor you "smuggle" aboard confiscated. If this is what it is, can I ask if your liquor is returned to you at the end of the cruise? If so, that's fine - if not, I would be seriously upset and prepared to contest. My motive in bringing liquor aboard at a port visited would be to take home a "local" brew, not to avoid buying ship's booze. Can someone please advise ?

If you purchase alcohol in port, they will take it but it IS returned to you at the end of the cruise. I've purchased Alaskan beer and it was returned to me.:D

From what I understand, the Naughty Room is where your luggage is taken if you smuggle alcohol onboard at the beginning of the cruise. That is also returned to you after the cruise has ended.

Having been to the naughty room once, I thought I would chime in.

It was on the Star 2 years ago and it was probably the most fun we had on the ship.

If they think you have liqour in your luggage, they will put a note on your door to go to the Library or whatever room they use on your ship to get your bag. You will stand in line with others as they like to take people in one at a time. While in line for our time at the naughty room, we met many great people and developed great friendships for the rest of the cruise. Also while in line somebody from the ship came by and handed out invitations to the free liqour tasting event in the duty free shop later that evening. Rumour had it they were going to use the confiscated stuff.

Once in the room, they will ask you to open your luggage and then will look for liqour. They found a bottle of shampoo in one bag somebody had in front of us. Not sure they will sail on NCL after that experience based on the conversation of ruining their first night on the cruise the people had with the staff.

Anyways, bring it on and if you are caught, enjoy the experieince. You will get it back at the end of the cruise. And if it gets by them, it will taste better after you see the prices they charge for drinks.

Someday they will come up with a happy medium that will work for all. But right now I call it gouging.

And yes now the people who don't drink will chime in with how we are stealing from NCL and the crew.

One of my co-workers went so far as to pour Rum into a Listerine bottle, then use food coloring on it during a spring break trip on NCL.

Any suggestions on good stuff to pack to end up in the Naughty Room? No liquor, but things that look like it

Just went thru this last week on Majesty. We got the standard "report to the naughty room tonight at 7pm to get your luggage. You violated the contract etc..." I could not imagine what sharp object, explosive device or intoxicating beverage we "smuggled" aboard.

Could it be my nail clippers? SMILE!

My hubby was laughing as they searched our bag. They only found a few containers of Pepsi/soda and let him take the soda to our cabin. I guess any type of can or bottle will show up on the Xray. To avoid suit cases arriving late and a wait in the naughty line, my advice.... bring your soda in your carry on bag. I had a water bottle in my carry on and it was never questioned during the security Xray as you walk aboard.

I dont blame people for bringing their own alcohol if they enjoy a drink in their cabin. A "bucket" of 5 beers was $20 on the ship and they add a gratutity charge on top of that. Drinks were $9 I think.

The novelty of going to the "naughty room" is an adventure. If you are called, be proud! Smile and ask them "Does what happens on the cruise ship STAY on the cruise ship??!"

The mouthwash thing doesn't work. Large bottles of ANYTHING will get picked out.

I figured out how to beat the system 100% of the time. I just smuggle it in my body. I drink a BUNCH before I get on and have been able to get past them everytime ;)

But its not just NCL that has liquor laws. But if the prices of drinks were in line with the price of the liquor, there would be a lot less of smuggling on board. I do admit bringing small amounts on board myself. May be 10 oz or so enough for about 5 drinks for the trip....If the drinlks were in a $3.00-4.00 range, I wouldn't bother. But $6.00....a bit much.:)

If you consider the price of a bottle of Vodka at $10.00 and they shoud get about 30 drinks per bottle. OK, 35cents for the vodka, 10 cents for the mixer. Charging $5.85 for the drink. thats a huge labor charge not counting the 15% surcharge on the drink.......OK that's my 2 cents..:)

And yes now the people who don't drink will chime in with how we are stealing from NCL and the crew.

Not stealing...just being dishonest liars who think they are above the rules set for all.

I too like to walk by the naughty room on sailing day. It is great to see who it is so you can make jokes about them to the people you are with when you see the cheaters the rest of the week.....

My dad had his traveling companions in stiches this past July 15 cruise on the Star everytime he saw this "smug guy" (as he called him) who was in the line.... if you were on the Star this July or the Dawn in June 06, you probably had jokes told about you if had to go to that room.....

Not stealing...just being dishonest liars who think they are above the rules set for all.

I too like to walk by the naughty room on sailing day. It is great to see who it is so you can make jokes about them to the people you are with when you see the cheaters the rest of the week.....

My dad had his traveling companions in stiches this past July 15 cruise on the Star everytime he saw this "smug guy" (as he called him) who was in the line.... if you were on the Star this July or the Dawn in June 06, you probably had jokes told about you if had to go to that room.....

Hmmm.... wouldn't it make more sense to enjoy all the facilities of the ship, instead of lurking around the "naughty" room, just so you can make a few jokes later?

Or they could have had dive knives, fuzzy handcuffs, competition firearms meant for the ship's armoury, loose tobacco, bottle of something other than alcohol, or even an allowed bottle of wine.

All of these things are items that I know people have been pulled for. So just assuming that someone is smuggling really does mean the joke is more on your Dad than the possible smuggler.

Now THERE's someone who is seriously fun-challenged! :D Remember, not everyone in line will be a liquor smuggler. Some will have shampoo, REAL mouthwash and soda in the checked bags.

As for the listerine trick, I played spin the bottle on one cruise, with some friends who smuggled liquor in an old minty green listerine bottle. You CAN'T get the minty fresh taste out of the bottle - any liquor you put in there will taste like MOUTHWASH! Yecch.

We packed three bottles of wine in our bags. Did not get sent to the naughty room.

A friend of ours met us at one of the ports and gave us two bottles of wine as a gift, not knowing it would be confiscated. Of course, they took it and we were able to get it the last night of the cruise around 7 p.m. We had already had some wine. We did not want to take the wine home, so we left it for the cabin attendants.

If you want a drink in your cabin, can't you just buy a bottle at the duty free store and drink that?

No... they hold any purchases until the last night or disembarkation day. However, if you order in advance, you can order a bar set-up for your cabin and have drinks in your cabin.

No... they hold any purchases until the last night or disembarkation day. However, if you order in advance, you can order a bar set-up for your cabin and have drinks in your cabin.

We enjoy a drink on our balcony or in our cabin before we go down for dinner. Can you advise us how to order a bar set-up for our cabin? Thanks.

GG

Why not just smuggle in your carry-on? That way if your bottle is confiscated it happens immediately instead of having to take time to go to some room, stand in line, and waste your vacation time! We always bring some wine and champagne, it's always in our carryon, have never had a problem on other lines. Plus, it's too risky (breakage) to pack in checked luggage - they literally throw the bags around and I've witnessed luggage falling off the carts onto the dock!

We were called into the naughty room when we were on the Star last week. :) We did have a bottle of champagne in our luggage that they found, and our friends had bottles of water that they got called in for.

For our champagne, we just paid the $15 uncorking fee and got the bottle back. For our friends, they just shook the bottles of water and gave them back to them.

We also had bottles of tequila that we bought in the ports that were taken and given back on the last night. No big deal, we knew they would take them.

Best bet though for anything you want to smuggle in (or off of) the ship - put it in your carry on bag! :)

But its not just NCL that has liquor laws. But if the prices of drinks were in line with the price of the liquor, there would be a lot less of smuggling on board. I do admit bringing small amounts on board myself. May be 10 oz or so enough for about 5 drinks for the trip....If the drinks were in a $3.00-4.00 range, I wouldn't bother. But $6.00....a bit much.:)

I guess it depends on what you're used to. If you're from [someplace where drinks are $3] then the $6 onboard seems like a lot.

If, on the other hand, you're from someplace where the drinks are typically more expensive (e.g. Manhattan, "The Land of the $12 Martini"), then they don't seem so bad......

We enjoy a drink on our balcony or in our cabin before we go down for dinner. Can you advise us how to order a bar set-up for our cabin? Thanks.

GG

Email your ship's coordinator at least two weeks prior to your cruise, and arrange the bar setup thru them. Typically, the email address will be shipcoordinatorxxxxx@ncl.com, where xxxxx is he name of the ship. Our cruise departs this weekend on the Pearl, and I arranged this a couple of weeks ago. Each bottle was $40.00 - pricey, but still nice to have in the room.

Archived