college fjord cruising: what time to get up?

kGCAL

I am doing a B2B this coming May and one of our cruises also comes into College Fiord at 6a.m. and you better believe we will be ordering room service coffee and enjoying every bit of the fiords. :D

Marilyn

Actually earlier than 6am in my opinion. I'm out about 1/2 before dawn. The entire area is scenery, which ends into a "sea day" when you cross the Gulf. So it is always important to me to see the most I can. :) However, if you plan on staying in your balcony, do realize that most of the glacier viewing is port side. On the way out, the ships I have been on, don't even slow down and are farther out.

I agree with BQ on tis one, I'd get up before dawn if possible. This is one of my favorite areas and the scenery can be spectacular. My favorite times to be out on deck are at dawn and dusk in Alaska, its so peaceful and you may have some great photo ops. Every time I'm surprised at how few people are out on deck enjoying it.

Doug

It's actually scenic all the way out of Whittier through Passage Canal, into Port Wells, and up to College Fjords. It's not a long trip and ships tend to slowly work their way to the fjords due to the short distance.

If the ship leaves from Seward, you go through a beautiful area of Prince William Sound on the way to College Fjords that also contains great scenery.

Sleep when you get home. During the summer in Alaska I tend to run on 4 to 5 hours a night. Who wants to miss the best part of the year....

I think that's what we will end up doing. Just want to make sure the kids can get up early with us so they won't miss anything.

Budget Queen, what do you suggest? If 6am arrive College Fjord according to ship schedule. Should I head out around 5am. We have a Port side balcony. Do we still need to go out to open deck so not to miss anything? Thanks

I think that's what we will end up doing. Just want to make sure the kids can get up early with us so they won't miss anything.

Budget Queen, what do you suggest? If 6am arrive College Fjord according to ship schedule. Should I head out around 5am. We have a Port side balcony. Do we still need to go out to open deck so not to miss anything? Thanks

On the Coral - I went to the very front of the Baja or Caribe deck for full frontal viewing.

Also on the Coral you can go to the aft of the ship on the Baja and Caribe decks to get a different prospective. We did that as we were going through the panama Canal. Spectacular.

Marilyn

As I mention above, I am out 30 minutes before dawn. This time will be posted on your nightly newletter. Front viewing- sees the most, since it's expansive, on the way out, consider the aft. But I wouldn't be aft on the way in. My preference only.

Archived