Should I cancel NCL airline booking?

retiredAF

:confused: I have read a number of posts and also requested some opinions on whether or not to go with NCL booking my air line reservations or doing it on my own but after some discussion, my DH said he would be more comfortable with letting NCL make the reservations so we went with that. We are flying cross country for an Alaskan cruise next summer and can get direct flights for close to the price NCL is charging so l thought that is what they would arrange for us. After reading some posts though, I started to wonder if my "assumption" was wrong and contacted NCL to ask this. They told me it was too early to book the air and they could not give me any other information at this point but did confirm I could cancel the air portion if I so desired. I have purchased travel insurance through NCL but my husband is still very focused on the fact that if we book air through NCL, they will hold the ship until we arrive not matter how they route us. Can anyone tell me if they book air through the cruise line if it was in fact a direct flight when that option is available or is the economy travel route more the norm? I would plan to get in very early before the cruise but if something goes wrong and I booked on my own, the insurance still covers that correct? We drove to the port on the only other cruise we have taken so this is new for us. I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thanks!

Well just to dispel one myth, they will NOT hold the ship for you if you are delayed even if you book your air through the cruiseline.

Also, they will put you on whatever flights are least expensive for them at the time they book the flights (generally 60 to 90 days before the cruise). It might be the direct flights, but it is just as likely to be flights with multiple connections leaving at an inconvenient time for you.

If you really care about your flight times, and can purchase flights you would be happy with for the same price as cruise air, cancel cruise air and book on your own.

You can also pay for an air deviation and request the flights that you found. Once you do this, NCL will tell you the total cost for the deviation...it may be different from what they are quoting you now. You have til final payment to cancel your flights.

It is very important to understand... if your flight is seriously delayed, there is no way in he-- that NCL is going to wait for you. They have places to go. Plain and simple. Sure, they may find a way to get you to the next port... if there is even a flight to get there.

Let me add another note about insurance. If you miss the boat, all the money in the world is not going to get you on that cruise. At this point, money is not the issue, but the missed sail-away and who knows how many ports.

Most posts about NCL air are not positive, but instead negative. If you can book your own, DO IT! And, I would surely get there at least one day early. Enjoy that port. Reduce the chance of a missed or canceled flight.

It is not unusual for NCL to wait until 30 days out to book a flight which then reduces your seating options, and increases your stress.

All of this reminds me of some favorite STUPID sayings.

If NCL screws up my flight, they better wait for us or else!

(or else what?)

If we miss the flight, the insurance will take care of us.

(sure, with a few bucks, but you are still not ON THE SHIP, are you?)

I don't want to deal with it. Let NCL do it.

(you will still be dealing with it, waiting for flight information and you still have to deal with tickets, airports, etc)

Why should I fly in a day early? We have insurance!

(think people, think!)

It's not always practical for everyone but we book our own flights and always arrive 1 day before leaving. First of all, if anything crazy happens flight wise, we have 24 hours to get there. In addition, we are so much more relaxed on day 1 of the cruise without having gotten up at God knows what time to make a flight. I do not think weather will be a problem to Alaska in the summer :) but there is always delay possibilities. Grab an early flight, enjoy a city for a day and wake up ready to go on a fabulous trip.

if all go s as plan d..once u drop your luggage off at the airport..then next time you see it will be outside your stateroom..when debarking the same, the next time you see your luggage is at the luggage pick-up area..

you have to be pretty trusting for all to go without a hitch..:confused:

i had ask d my carnival agent about this same program..they have it..but, she was honest and said she s tried it and it s not something to be trust d..further, she said i could get airfare s and hotel reservation s cheaper online..

if you have an extend flight time..i suggest coming a day early..spending many hr s

on a flight the day there are the possibilities of a number of delay s that could

cause you to miss the sailing..whether you choose to book yourself or have NCL do it the

same delay s could be happen..

i want d to add:o

since your flying cross country..to relieve stress whether you be in seattle in time..come in a day early..

though it does nt happen often during that time of the yr..it doe s happen on occasion..and i would just hate to be part of that 1%:confused:

My husband and I booked the November 7, 2007, Norwegian Dream 14 Night Chilean Fjords and Straight of Magellan cruise. NCL also arranged the air transportation, the transfers, and the insurance. I was worried that not enough time was scheduled for us to change planes in Dallas, but on the day of our departure, we easily convinced an American Airlines representative to put us on an earlier flight out of St. Louis. In Dallas, waiting for our 9:00 PM flight to Santiago, we were startled when the overhead screen indicated that our flight was postponed until 8:00 AM on November 7. There was little chance that we would make it to Valparaiso, Chile, before the ship pulled away. To make a long story short, three bus loads of us did not make it to Valparaiso in time, but we were taken care of and reached the ship the next day in Concepcion. Since the delay was the air carrier's fault, all of us were taken back and forth, put on planes to Concepcion, etc. The fact that we did or did not arrange air through NCL and did or did not pay for transfers seemed to make little difference.

Archived