latest update on IVAN....

curly4dana

Dana, Darlin...I wish I could say that this is the best reason that you and SH need to come here to Ala-freakin'-bama to stay here, but I really think that Ivan is going to slow way down after devastating Jamaica and the DR, and hit the FL and AL panhandles. If that's the case, please UPS me your shutters, plywood, nails, bottled water, and SH (to take care of things). I'm thinking that Ivan is going to hit the northern Gulf. (That SOB!!)
This is what I'm thinking too! I'm in Pensacola. :eek: I've been debating all day long whether to buy some plywood "just in case" but if we get a direct hit with a Cat 4, will it really make any difference?! :confused: :( I've been through a Cat 3, that was bad enough and if it's a 4, I'm outta here, already have my hotel picked out in northern AL. Where are you in AL? I'm trying not to worry but it's really hard. :eek:

I've all ready crossed over and become obsessed with this! I can't believe the latest graphic on NOAA straight over Florida! Can you give us a break!!!!http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/090853W5.gif

Well if it would hook a little more to the east maybe it would just miss us altogether. I keep praying.

Hurricane hunter plane this morning found a 210 mph wind near the center of Ivan.:(

Central pressure is 921mb. That is lower than Andrew when it hit Homestead! :eek:

Sounds beyond scary.... but a lot can happen in the next few days... Frances was a Cat4 just a day or two before she made landfall as a Cat 2. (At least I think she was a Cat2 at landfall... o gee they are all starting to run together in my mind!)

i just watched the tv news and that cat5 looks like someone in south florida is going to get it again!!! whether it's us here on the east coast or the poor folks over on the west coast...one way or another we're in the soup again!!! we don't even have our power all back on yet!!!! holy crap! i watched the news and i have to tell y'all, i started to cry. i don't want to have to go through this again. i don't want anyone to have to go through this again.....

ivan looks bad...yes flamingo...worse than andrew.....oh s**t!!!! if we all prayed before, now's the time to pray harder!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in Sarasota and people in town are pretty much shell-shocked! When I was out running errands people were making nervous jokes about being like kids out for summer. We were locked in our houses for 3 days before Frances fnally made it to us! The stress is really taking it's toll in fla. Wish things would calm down for awhile. We haven't even had a chance to catch our breaths. Just left the windows boarded from the last one and left all supplies sitting on a table ready for whatever. Keep the prayers coming, I think we are going to need them. Deb

I just read that Ivan is now a Category 5!!!! Is this true??

It looks like Jamaica is due to take a direct hit, but according to the graph, there is only has a 20-50% chance.

Believe it or not, Frances remnants has caused my kids school to be closed today (only the second day of school here), as our entire village is flooded from heavy sustained rains, and it's not expected to stop anytime soon. In the center of our village, there are two feet of standing water, that is unheard of here. I know it's nothing compared to FL, but it's an indication of how far reaching the hurricane is.

This is what I'm thinking too! I'm in Pensacola. :eek: I've been debating all day long whether to buy some plywood "just in case" but if we get a direct hit with a Cat 4, will it really make any difference?! :confused: :( I've been through a Cat 3, that was bad enough and if it's a 4, I'm outta here, already have my hotel picked out in northern AL. Where are you in AL? I'm trying not to worry but it's really hard. :eek:

If there's a chance the hurricane may hit you, BUY THE PLYWOOD! Trust me on this. I had to stand in line for 5 hours and 400 people at Home Depot and pray one of their trucks with plywood would make a store delivery 3 days before Francis hit. Unfortunatly, after I got the plywood they were sold out of screws to put the plywood up.

Now I know, anyone who has a house in Flordia without shutters should already have pre-cut, pre-drilled plywood and screws stored somewhere in case something like Ivan pays a visit. Especially anyone who lives in North Florida where the building codes aren't anywhere near what they are in South Florida.

If there's a chance the hurricane may hit you, BUY THE PLYWOOD! Trust me on this. I had to stand in line for 5 hours and 400 people at Home Depot and pray one of their trucks with plywood would make a store delivery 3 days before Francis hit. Unfortunatly, after I got the plywood they were sold out of screws to put the plywood up.

Now I know, anyone who has a house in Flordia without shutters should already have pre-cut, pre-drilled plywood and screws stored somewhere in case something like Ivan pays a visit. Especially anyone who lives in North Florida where the building codes aren't anywhere near what they are in South Florida.

BootyDaddy - It was the same story here on buying plywood. Same story on screws as well.

RE the storing of plywood. In Florida's humid climate, stored plywood warps easily, and provides a nearly irresistable feast for termites and other assorted undesirables. That's why many of us don't do that.

BootyDaddy - It was the same story here on buying plywood. Same story on screws as well.

RE the storing of plywood. In Florida's humid climate, stored plywood warps easily, and provides a nearly irresistable feast for termites and other assorted undesirables. That's why many of us don't do that.

If you can't find plywood and the storm looks like it's heading your way, another option would be to buy T111 siding sheets. More expensive, but it would probably work in a pinch.

Dittos on storing the plywood. That's why we have to replenish our supply each year too.

I'm surprized that all of you who live in Florida don't have custom-made storm shutters. I realize they're costly, but with fairly regular severe storms, doesn't it come with the territory? :confused: Couldn't you add their cost into your mortgage? Friends of ours who have a beachfront condo on Sanibel Island had all the glass changed to the storm-proof type a couple of years ago. Yes it was very expensive, but they weathered Charley with virtually no damage.

Beth

angelsil -

The evacuation orders were mandatory for Keys visitors and tourists as of 9 am this morning.

A mandatory for residents of the Keys and Flamingo, FL may be ordered as early as first thing in the morning. 6 or 7 am would be my guess.

Anyway, that's the last we heard on our local news station. Earlier, they had indicated that a mandatory for residents would begin at 6pm this evening.

Takes a good 36 hours to evacuate the Keys.

It's great that they are evacuating the keys and I agree that all visitors need to leave now, but where in the world do you evacuate too? It looks like the whole state is going to be run over by Ivan...I'm seriously beginning to think about evacuating to Colorado! No hurricanes there. I can't believe this state is going to get run over AGAIN!!!:mad: :mad: ENOUGH ALREADY, IVAN GO PLAY SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!

I'm surprized that all of you who live in Florida don't have custom-made storm shutters. I realize they're costly, but with fairly regular severe storms, doesn't it come with the territory? :confused: Couldn't you add their cost into your mortgage? Friends of ours who have a beachfront condo on Sanibel Island had all the glass changed to the storm-proof type a couple of years ago. Yes it was very expensive, but they weathered Charley with virtually no damage.

Beth

The new Florida building code that was adopted after Andrew requires that either the windows can withstand 140 mph winds or storm shutters are required to accompany the new windows. However, unless you have installed new windows since then, the old windows are not up to current code and there isn't anything that says you have to install replacements. My house for example still has the original windows that were put on in 1978.

builderman...my house was built in 1956 and i have no code anything! we were ok during frsnces but ivan will take us out for sure. we're in palm beach county and we were hit pretty bad. i can not even imagine another one as strong as ivan is. we have 6 cats and 2 dogs and no where to go! so we're boarding up and we're going to ride it out. we lost all of our trees and the garage and carport were damaged, but we have an adjuster on his way. i just hope he gets here before ivan does...

manditory evac for the keys and now they are asking all tourists to return to where they came from. mu dh is on his way to button us up. we have power, but the foks across the street don't yet. we lent them our generator so they can have some cold food and cook.

ok kids...if y'all prayed before...pray harder!!!!! we really need it!!!!!!

I put in new sliding glass doors about 4 years ago... needed an odd size, had to have them custom made. Rated for 140mph winds. Just over $1100.00. During Charley, the water still seeped in through those fancy new doors. My old (late 60's) windows throughout the rest of the house and front door didn't let any water in at all. Go figure.

Archived