The Odysses' First T/A!

B-2-Bs Best!

hi Jim And Jane !! we are Chris and jeannie also staying at the parador on the 29/30 from the UK see you there chris at follybridge dot co dot uk

Hi Chris & Jeannie,

We look forward to meeting you! Shall we take a cab together to the party? We are thinking of booking the car or taxi service to the ship that Martita mentioned. Have you made plans? See you soon.

Jim & Jane

Jim and Jane

I know of 3 additional Odyssey Sailor's that have reserved rooms at your parador hotel, Oct. 28th-30th. I'll be in contact with them and will relate your staying there as well.

Looking forward to meeting and being with you at the Don Curro Hotel get together.

Martita B.

Look forward to meeting you in the parador . Taxis should be plentiful so we will just get one when we are ready . Jeannie appreciates the comments and hopes that she can live up to them Chris and jeannie

I checked the Funchal, Madeira "ships in port" for Nov. 2nd. Good news! The Odyssey will be the one ship in port that day, a Monday.

The Old Town market will be open. We'll be in Funchal from 8 am to 2 pm.

The last fews times I've visited Funchal there were so many BIG ships in port I'm happy we'll be the 'lone vessel ~~

I don't think our Ex. Chef Cockburn will be planning to shop in Funchal but maybe we can ask.

MB

Good news ~~had word from David E. saying he will be aboard the Odyssey Oct. 31st. Barry Hopkins will be there as well.

I don't play Trivia but for those that do enjoy the game, you may want/need to "bone up" as David E. can really come up with impossible questions!:eek:

Have a great weekend

MB

• 3 weeks later...

Have we sailed together? I don't reconize your username. Hints?:p

These are the Odyssey Sailor's that are embarking in Istanbul;

N&P B; B&J K; S & D; T&D; D&J D; J&D D; B&G F; D&B; A&S

and YOU! AW will be aboard as well ~~starting from Ft. Laud on the Pride last Jan.

Looking forward to our grand Maiden Transatlantic!

Martita B.

I'm sure I'll know you when I see your "clues!"

Our 2003 Pride "Passage to Portugal" was fun that March ! 'Ole

Master Leif Rodahl was at the helm ~~and Guy Sharp was the Hotel Manager. Laurent (Lulu) was Maitre'D and Cheffy Lambrechts cooked for us! Dr Herra and Nursey were aboard as well. (they will be with us on the Odyssey Crossing)

Looking forward to seeing you in Malaga!

Martita B

Regarding trivia on the Odyssey. Being that the ship holds more than twice as many passengers, and that trivia is wildly popular on the crossings, how do you think they will handle the crowd? Surely they can't have 24 or so teams playing, as that would take all day. Maybe they should have a morning trivia and an afternoon trivia? This would eliminate the vast crowds for bloodsport for bookmarks! :D

Host Dan

Dan

I had mail from David E. and he's not sure as to how Trivia will work on the Odyssey ~~he'll board next week and let me know what they decide.

I'm wondering if Captain Dexter will hold a "Rememberance Day" service on Sunday, Nov. 8th. Last year his service was most memorable.

Martita B.

Martita,

Yes the poppies are worn with pride.

Not too sure of the history-dates back to poppies in the battle fields in WW1.

The Royal British Legion have an annual remebrance service at the Royal Albert hall. A poppy falls in a very moving service for every British life lost.

Have mailed you a photograph at your home.

If you have chance do look at a lovely poem by John McCrea-In Flanders fields-

We will bring some.

Kind regards

Tony

Dr.John McCrae (Cdn spelling),was from Ontario Canada. His parents emigrated here from Scotland. The battlefields where they were fighting at that time were full of poppies. The poem was written when John had to preside over the burial of his friend (and former student). John actually discarded the poem, which was kept and later submitted to a Brittish magazine called "punch". The rest, as they say is history.

He died in 1918 from pneumonia, and complications due to meningitis. I believe he's buried in France.

His story is part of the school curriculum here.

I didn't know that the Brittish people also wore poppies. This would make sense as we were Brittish subjects and flew the Union Jack flag until 1965, when we got our own. We are still close to the monarchy.

I think it's greeat that they have a rememberance day/verterans service on board. I was in the naval reserve for several years whilst in school/college.

We are having our labour day, and the Brittish, their banking holiday today.

Hope you all are enjoying this long weekend.

Denise

I've been aboard a Seabourn ship in Oct./Nov. the past few years and I've enjoyed the "Remembrance Day" services but last Nov. Capt. Dexter's memorial was superb. I was happy to see so many guests attend ~~~I'm sure this year's service will be as special.

MB

I'm looking forward to this.

Since this will be my first T.A., what other special things do they do? It seems like everyone really enjoys the T.A. cruises. Please tell me why, so I can be excited too!:p

Denise

The Crossing's are truly magical......one reason has to be the guests.

Most are seasoned Blue Water sailors and enjoy being on the ocean.

Most Crossing guests are fun folks, kind to one another and considerate. This is not always true aboard a ship.

We stay busy as bumble bees ~~many passengers plan private parties ~~cocktail and dinner. There are lots of ship activities if one wants to join in. Some prefer to lay low ~~read, relax and do nothing ~~on some TA Crossing's there are guests that seldom come out of their suites ~~I'm very social so don't understand their choosing to stay "cooped up." ~~but "each to his own."

I know you'll love what we call, "those lazy, hazy, crazy sea days!"

The Sailor's that I know who will be aboard are grrrreat ~~ I so look forward to being with them.

Look forward to a few most grand days doin' just what YOU want to do!

That's one of the secrets of a Transatlantic Voyage!:D

See 'ya in Oct.!

MB

Denise

My day starts with the sweet Night Bell Captain tip-toing in at 7 a.m. He doesn't knock or ring the doorbell ~~(I make a standing order for coffee each day with room service) He slips in, places my coffee tray on the sofa table and leaves. I have my coffee, bubble bath and dress for the day ~~~usually go to the dining room for breakfast ~~then meet shipmates up in the Sky Bar for our "Ocean Liner bouillon." Chat ~~Lunch in the dining room ......more chattin'! I don't play Trivia but most Crossing sailor's wouldn't miss one day!

Afternoons are lazy ~~4 pm, tea time! Around 6 pm, dress for cocktails and dinner ~~~some evenings we meet for the show. Then it's The Club for a nightcap. More visitin' !

Everyone does exactly what/when they want to do. No rules! It truly is a marvelous relaxed holiday ~~

My favorite Seabourn toast is: "The best Islands in the world....they float and move. Their names are the Pride, the Legend, the Spirit and the Odyssey!" Salute

MB

Archived