Would you pay more for?

standby 06.30

Having made 23+ Cruises on various lines, and for instance, we like the vibrant nature of the mass market cruise lines at night, but I miss some of the quality aspects of the upscale lines.

So if you set a bench mark of a balcony cabin on a mass market ship, that would allow pax within that standard of cabin and above, to pay an surcharge to have areas of the ship for their exclusve use that would gaur,

Better quality food. Strict dress codes. No singing and dancing waiters.

With a senior ships officer at your table on Formal nights.

Room sevice to match.

More interesting days at sea with demonstrations other than napkin folding and ice carving, plus guest lectures.

A pool area with no children, no chair hogs, no drunks.

A separate entrance to board the ship and to leave by.

Exclusive tenders so no long lines

A seperate indoor Bar and lounge with a small dance floor with a quality band, and some good artists.

No smoking

Remember you could still use the other areas of the ship but entrance to these areas would be strictly enforced as would the rules.

We would pay $500 each ontop of your balcony to get this for a seven day cruise? or how much would you pay?

Please add things to it, regards

Don't need it, not paying for it. I might even consider boycotting a line that decided to bring back classes.

Some of the things you list I just find laughable. Separate boarding entrance??

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just apply this extra amount to a sailing on a premium line if the mass market lines (and their pax) are so unappealling as to want your own 'first class' sections of the ship?

The class system was eliminated on most ships years ago. I don't think anyone really wants to go back to that.

I would recommend you try the Princess or Queens Grill cabins on Cunard as there are special privleges associated with them.

All I'm going to say.

Hello,

Oh, to be in England when manners were in full bloom and Bloomsbury, and...

I am not interested in such a scheme. I recommend though that you consider cruises on a Celebrity ship where there is a little less of admittedly slipshod service. Passengers on a Celebrity ship do behave somewhat better than the fervent followers of Manchester United after a loss to anyone.

You will find very few Americans. Canadians, Australians, or anyone else interested in your proposal. The reason...class and the ability to behave in a kindly and respectful manner while traveling by sea, really have no relationship with financial standing.

Thank you for beginning this thread and I am sure that you will get a number of very interesting responses. In closing, perhaps it was because his mother was an American that Winston Churchill drank too much and smoked too much, and took chances that few mortals would try. There were times when he behaved terribly, especially at parties when he had been drinking all day. And yet, there he stands, looking at Parliament in London, remembered by all in England, because he was there in her "finest hour".

Fred

Hello,

I am not interested in such a scheme. I recommend though that you consider cruises on a Celebrity ship where there is a little less of admittedly slipshod service. Passengers on a Celebrity ship do behave somewhat better than the fervent followers of Manchester United after a loss to anyone.

You will find very few Americans. Canadians, Australians, or anyone else interested in your proposal. The reason...class and the ability to behave in a kindly and respectful manner while traveling by sea, really have no relationship with financial standing.

Thank you for beginning this thread and I am sure that you will get a number of very interesting responses. In closing, perhaps it was because his mother was an American that Winston Churchill drank too much and smoked too much, and took chances that few mortals would try. There were times when he behaved terribly, especially at parties when he had been drinking all day. And yet, there he stands, looking at Parliament in London, remembered by all in England, because he was there in her "finest hour".

Fred

Hello,

Fred

Fred thank you for your measured response, my wife is an Ex Celebrity maitre d from the 90s, I have never sailed Princess but Cunard is not unknown to me.

This is not about Class as you stated, but about money and how you spend it, you and I are aware that money does not make people well mannered ( I am slightly dyslexic so forgive any errors) but strict enforcement of rules would.

Most of my suggestions were in response to the numerous op who complain about lousy food, waiting for tenders, smoking, chair hogs etc etc, and even platinum members who complain that other pax give the bad looks as they board, and call them names when they move to the alloted place at the head of a line, so I thought lets see how many will put their money where their mouth is.

To a degree its is already here Chops etc, Consierge clubs, VIP status.

A lot of Brits have a problem with Winny, not for the pionts you raised but because he invented Consentration Camps in the Boar Wars, advocated gasing the Kurds and did, long before Saddam, and also stated, " a Liberal is like a man with both feet fixed firmly in mid air" then crossed the floor to join them when it suited him, but without him in the second world war who know what would of happened, Kind Regards

Having made 23+ Cruises on various lines, and for instance, we like the vibrant nature of the mass market cruise lines at night, but I miss some of the quality aspects of the upscale lines.

So if you set a bench mark of a balcony cabin on a mass market ship, that would allow pax within that standard of cabin and above, to pay an surcharge to have areas of the ship for their exclusve use that would gaur,

HAL currently has some of the characteristics of your list. They have just now begun a "suite amenities" package that goes further. It is so new that no one on the HAL board had ever heard of it, so the details are very uncertain. It is for passengers in a non-Deluxe suite (the Deluxe suite passengers have a separate package that they can purchase). For two people on a two week cruise, one person was quoted $549. Here are the benefits:

Suite Amenities Package

(all other suites, excluding deluxe verandah suites) includes:

Complimentary Laundry and Pressing

Holland America Line bathrobe with monogram of choice

In-Stateroom High Tea or Daily Canapes

DVD Selection

Confirmed Dining Room Seating

Fresh Flowers

Special VIP Debarkation Procedures

Special VIP Debarkation Lounge

Pillows A La Carte Menu

Initial Stateroom Beverage Setup

Explorations Café Coffee Card

Pinnacle Grill Dinner

The CruiseCritic thread (with more questions than answers at this point) is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=670647

NCL also has the specialty restaurants that you pay a surcharge to go to that are more intimate, no dancing waiters and much better food. If in a suite with a butler they will give you priority reservations. All restaurants on board have no waiters dancing and singing. Also you eat anytime you want. More relaxed dress code in regualr restaurants but the pay ones seem to have people much better dressed.

Also you can pay to use the Spa Pool for the week - I think is was $75 for the week and you have this exclusive pool at your use. Most times it isn't used at all.

Hope this helps - also if you want you can buy a Garden Villa on NCL which gives you the top half of a deck to yourself with your own courtyard and sundeck.....

Debbie

I'm hope I am not a snob but I would pay extra to have a few perks such as:

More interesting days at sea with guest lectures. (About $25.00 if it is someone that I would like to meet such as my favorite authors. But only if I know that I would not have any other chance to meeting them other than on the cruise.

Tenders leaving the ship. I hate being crammed in a room with several other hundred people waiting for a tender and hoping I don't miss the tour that I stupidly booked at an early hour. (about $30.00 for 4 islands). But in my defense I do not mind waiting for a Tender to go back to the ship.

No "children gone wild". Its one thing to make sure your children has a good time on "their" vacation but its another thing when they are allowed to run up and down the staircases literally knocking people down. Knocking on all the doors at 2 or 3 in the morning. Have food fights in the buffet area or throwing ice or ice cream at each other in the pool area. ($200)

So all in all I would be probably pay around $250 -300, give or take a little, for a few perks.

Room sevice to match.

More interesting days at sea with demonstrations other than napkin folding and ice carving, plus guest lectures.

A seperate indoor Bar and lounge with a small dance floor with a quality band, and some good artists.

No smoking

Remember you could still use the other areas of the ship but entrance to these areas would be strictly enforced as would the rules.

We would pay $500 each ontop of your balcony to get this for a seven day cruise? or how much would you pay?

You are born too late. 50 years to be precise where you have the snobbish class separation and the old British Empire.

Every thing that you mentioned are available on balcony and especially admiral class except the cordened off area for what used to be call first class on the ships.

No $500 wont do it but if you travel admiral class you can get as close as being snobbish as you like.

IF I had the money, I MIGHT...to feel elegant again, as I did my first cruises in the 70s. But I don't. It is a question of one upscale cabin every couple of years, or three steerage cabins a year on a mass market line. Guess what I choose. EM

Don't need it, not paying for it. I might even consider boycotting a line that decided to bring back classes.

Some of the things you list I just find laughable. Separate boarding entrance??

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just apply this extra amount to a sailing on a premium line if the mass market lines (and their pax) are so unappealling as to want your own 'first class' sections of the ship?

Do you boycott airlines that have facilities? regards

You are born too late. 50 years to be precise where you have the snobbish class separation and the old British Empire.

Every thing that you mentioned are available on balcony and especially admiral class except the cordened off area for what used to be call first class on the ships.

No $500 wont do it but if you travel admiral class you can get as close as being snobbish as you like.

That is your choice, as it is you that wants to make comparisons with a bygone age not me, you seem more interested in your own agenda, mine is not about class destinction, it is about money, and how you could use it, if this product was on offer.

Airlines seem to have used this method, also trains, do certain lines not create areas for large groups with some of the examples from my post. regards

Room sevice to match.

No smoking

You have defined the multi-class ships of years ago.... I only sailed one (SS France) in those times.... (first class) and find many of the amenities and standards carried forward today.

Some of the things you propose are available on the mass market ships and certainly on the upscale lines.

I do know I would not want to sail steerage.

That is your choice, as it is you that wants to make comparisons with a bygone age not me, you seem more interested in your own agenda, mine is not about class destinction, it is about money, and how you could use it, if this product was on offer.

Airlines seem to have used this method, also trains, do certain lines not create areas for large groups with some of the examples from my post. regards

If it is only about money then just travel admiral class if you can afford it.

But the "product" that you describe clearly shows "snobbish class separation" of yester years and it is no longer available on cruise ships today.

Somebody else use the word "steerage". What is that.

If it is only about money then just travel admiral class if you can afford it.

But the "product" that you describe clearly shows "snobbish class separation" of yester years and it is no longer available on cruise ships today.

Somebody else use the word "steerage". What is that.

To you maybe, I take it you would, fly an airline that provides this type of product?

Also if I were a "snob" would I respond to you? kind regards

Ps as a friend from the US who read some of these posts and phoned me said.

Steerage has anyone seen the riviera deck on a Carnival ship, his words not mine, I cannot comment as I have not. regards

to echo many of the posts above...no...not sure that would be the best idea...I think it would actually turn away more people than it would attrct
This is only an option that you could buy into if you had the bench mark cabin.

If you did not want to pay the extra fee then you would not gain entrance,rather like on an aircraft, if you dont want to pay for First class, that does not seem to stop people flying economy. regards

I would pay more to have it be all-inclusive, like an island resort. I loved my trip to Jamaica where I didn't have to worry about a bar tab.

Dressier? No thanks. I am going to Alaska next summer, and although I will bring clothes for formal night and not wear jeans the other nights, this is an inconvience for me - I am backpacking for a week after that, so I'm bringing two sets of completely different clothes, and will have to carry around my "fancy" stuff for a week while I'm living in a tent.

I WOULD like a hot tub that didn't get filled up with teenagers. :)

Let me start by saying that I've tried a number of cruise lines but generally cruise with Princess, which is certainly smack in the middle of mass market cruise lines.

I have not experienced a singing/dancing waiter in years, nor have I encountered chair hogs or children on the loose. The quality of food isn't gourmet, but it's still pretty good considering how many meals the galley is turning out.

I have plenty of money to spend on vacationing (my issue is lack of time) but would not pay extra for the things you've mentioned primarily because they aren't things that have ever bothered me or that I would value.

I also travel overseas somewhat frequently (business and pleasure) and have only once traveled first class. I do fine in coach -- really.

Dressier? No thanks. I am going to Alaska next summer, and although I will bring clothes for formal night and not wear jeans the other nights, this is an inconvience for me - I am backpacking for a week after that, so I'm bringing two sets of completely different clothes, and will have to carry around my "fancy" stuff for a week while I'm living in a tent.

OT-to avoid carrying around all your clothes, send the excess home via the USPS in Anchorage. Buy a box at U-Haul and for about $50.00 and Priority Mail, you can loose all the clothes you don't need.

You betcha I would pay extra for most of your perks. And your airline analogy is spot on. I fly first class about 90% of the time (an AA perk due to elite status). I REALLY appreciate the separate security line, the Admiral's Club, first on and off the plane and all the little extras.

I don't believe the OP's ideas are snobbish. Since when is it snobbish to want the rules enforced and some different venues of entertainment offered?

There is nothing snobbish about wanting to hear a lecture on literature instead of a hairy man's contest. It is simply a different venue. The OP did not say better or worse...just different.

Many of the OP's ideas are already in play. And yes, people already pay more for the priviledge. It is their money, I say go for it!!!

I don't believe the OP's ideas are snobbish. Since when is it snobbish to want the rules enforced and some different venues of entertainment offered?

There is nothing snobbish about wanting to hear a lecture on literature instead of a hairy man's contest. It is simply a different venue. The OP did not say better or worse...just different.

Many of the OP's ideas are already in play. And yes, people already pay more for the priviledge. It is their money, I say go for it!!!

Thank you, you understand the point I am making, Kind Regards

Room sevice to match.

No smoking

You think 500$ would cover for all this???? talk about 4-5 times this amount and a cruiseline MAYBE interested in cattering to such a crowd.

Even Cunard Queens Grill doesn't have a separate lounge with its own quality band that I know of.

And how can they ensure nobody will get drunk by the pool?????? Oh, do they do another of these areas for smoking people???? (I'm not a smoker by the way).

OK, I'll stop at that.

Archived