Do you gain when you cruise?

Anni_M

It doesn't matter how many days we cruise for - I ALWAYS gain 10 pounds. As a matter of fact - a couple of years ago we did an 11 day, and I came home (no lie) 20 - yes thats TWENTY pounds heavier than when we left! I about died! (the cool thing was I lost 9 pounds between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning after we got back LOL) I even walk the ship, never take the elevator, and run stairs. Before each cruise I diet, and take off 10 just so I can gain it back. (that's so stupid I know, but I want my clothes to fit) This time we're bringing diet lemonade mix so we won't be consuming all that sugar. Hopefully that will help. How much do you gain?

A~

Usually 2 lbs, but once we sailed with a couple who thought of the food as free, and made sure we went to every seating, two entrees, midnight buffets, and late meal (remember the 1:30 offerings?)

I came home 10 lbs heavier, and said NEVER AGAIN!

Yet, somehow I'm now 60 lbs heavier than when I started cruising! :eek:

How much do you gain?

A~

I've been on 5 cruises and have never gained more than 1 or 2lbs! For ME, I don't try to diet or anything while onboard, but when i eat things that aren't that good for me, I try to balance it out by eating fruit, yogurt, etc. I walk on the walking trail and take the stairs whenever possible. So far, all that has worked for me!:)

Well, if you are talking about lbs (think you are!), I actually went on one cruise and lost several pounds. This was not from the norovirus...it was a very active cruise involving a lot of hiking and BBQ's up on deck.

So much exercise with all the swimming, hiking and talking the stairs ...coupled with grabbing grilled fish and salads while on deck instead of the obligatory burger and fries...the weight just fell off. There were clothes I brought that I didn't wear because they were just too big by the end of the cruise....NO...I am not making this up!!

What I did gain was the ability to go back to work for another few months until my next cruise!! yeah....

we went nov 17th -22nd i lost 1 pound i only ate my 3 meals a day and walked the stairs to everywhere we went plus used the gym for a 30 min treadmill walk daily.the food was good but not good enought to over eat any. we never ate any late nite meals after our dinner we were full for the nite.p.s. i only tried the melting choc cake once and 2 spoonfuls were enought.

I did gain about 10 pounds on my first cruise. However I lost 8 of those pounds within 2 days. I think most of the weight gain was water retention and on my next cruise will pay more attention to salt and sodium intake.

I usually enjoy every bit of food offered on a cruise, but no matter what I lose. I think it is because of all the swimming, hiking, running etc that I do on excursions. Since I don't have to travel far to get to the jogging track I usually will while crusing when I don't do it often at home.

I have the same problem, no matter how much I eat, my weight always hovers around 93-95lbs. Oh btw, I am 5'6". Hubby says be happy, he is 6'4" and 245lbs and growing bigger. lol

I hear that from coworkers, "Be happy not gaining weight", but i would really like to gain about 10 more pounds, i feel better around 120.

Lose. I think it's all the walking to get from one place to another. Lost the most (clothes got looser) on Star Princess 26 day cruise...Also have a salad at lunch and dinner, usuallu avoid dessert. Not because I am consciously NOT eating dessert, but they just don't attract me. That said, I AM overweight, and since I lose weight on cruises, do you think the doctor could write me a prescription for an around the world cruise??? Would insurance pay for it? Cheaper than lipo or bariatric surgery...(Okay, I'm not THAT overweight...)EM

I usually lose a pound or two or stay about the same, I guess. I don't own a scale. Usually book on a lower deck and always, always, always take the stairs. I get more excercise on a cruise than I do for the rest of the year!

Just because there is lots of food doesn't mean one has to try to eat it all. You can sample just about everything there is to offer. The trick is to sample it, not eat an entire plateful of every item.

I spent the first 32 years of my life trying to gain weight. I'm 5'10" and weighed 117 when I graduated from high school. I still weighed only 122 when I got pregnant at age 32! Those 47 pounds I gained then never quite went away.

And then this stupid middle-aged female weight gain thing! It's so frustrating. From mid-ribcage up and knees down, I'm still too thin. If all anyone saw were my arms, they'd think I could still be a supermodel! :p

Ah well. Been trying to lose the 5 pounds I've gained since last year (not due to the cruise) simply because I don't want to have to buy any new clothes. I still have a week to drop those last couple of pounds! Wish me luck!

I usually over indulge on the ship, but yet at the end of the cruise I am usually about 2 pounds lighter than when I got on. I think this may be because I walk A LOT at the ports and such. There is usually no down time when the ship is docked for me.

I normally come home around 10 pounds heavier and lost 6 or 7 of those pounds within a day or so of coming home. By the end of the week I'm back where I started. I really think most of it is the salt (particularly in the water I drink all week on the ship) and the alcohol. It comes off really quickly. We just came home from a week on the NCL Spirit and I'm up 8.5 pounds - I swear it must just be all those long island iced teas, because it SURE wasn't the food. Didn't compare to Carnival on ANY level.

Archived