QM2 bar prices are too cheap

David2115

Puzzled by this post.

Ordered glass of Pinot Gigio, price was over $8, (bill submitted by wine waiter) but what really made me annoyed was that the glass was LESS than half full. I questioned the amount ( personally think he used the last of the bottle and could not be bothered to open another) He assured me that the amount in the glass was correct. I informed him politely but firmly that no where else had I ever had so small an amount for a so called "glass of wine" Next night when he enquired I replied, "Absolutely not , when I buy a glass of wine I want a glass of wine, not less than half" . Since 15% is added to the bill as a tip, he lost out for the whole of the voyage.

Cheat me once shame on him - if I let him cheat me twice shame on me.

Another night I bought a glass of champagne in the champagne bar, cost me $20. - hardly cheap.

I'm not sure I understand. If you have a good wine, you don't want the glass full. Part of the wine's appeal is the nose.

I've had perfectly satisfactory measures on the few glasses I've had - but they've none of them been full.

Matthew

I'm not sure what other lines Trulli has been on, but I have sailed HAL, RCCL, Cunard, Premier (RIP) and Carnival. everyone of them had posted that they pour exactly one and a half ounces of liquor to a standard drink. I have seen this sign, or in the program (usually a sign at the bar) on every ship I have been on so far. There may be lines that pour in line with what you get in an American bar (we like to overserve both drinks and food here!) Also in the bars on QM2, they had a glass of wine on the top of the bar showing exactly what a pour was.

Matthew. I thought nose only counted in reds. Is there a nose with white wines? As you can tell, I am not much of a wine aficionado. Especially whites.

I have never felt that the drinks I got were any less than satisfying. If anything, if one has a larger drink (and savors it instead of throwing it back quickly) then it tends to get watered down if too big! Sure, I pour myself larger drinks when I am doing the mixing. But I often do end up with a watered down drink as a result, which makes up for the heavy wrist on the pour!

I think the drink prices are just about right. Less than the bar I usually frequent locally, and I have gone to plenty of places that charge more AND the glass is more ice than anything else. If they pour a measured jigger, then I have no problem, as I know what I am getting, and I am getting what I pay for. It is consistent.

Karie,

an average drinker

(not too much, but I do like my drinks!)

Is it safe to assume that Trulli suffers from multiple personalities?

Talking of drink prices, I think their prices for claret are excellent. Really good. d'Yquem isn't a rediculous price either - unlike Cristal.

I'd rather have a half of d'Yquem than a bottle of Cristal.......

Matthew

$8 for LESS than half a glass of Pinot Grigio! A wine drinker at the table commented that she had ordered the same wine at one of the bars on board and got the same size glass almost full. Everyone agreed the wine waiter was cheating.

For the Champagne , I asked for a demi sec, (not being an expert) , it tasted very good, but $20 is not a price I would pay too often.

Hate Pol Acker, gave it back to the cabin stewardess, perhaps the staff used it.

the glass was LESS than half full. I questioned the amount

The bars all have one or two glasses set up on them with what looks like blackcurrant cordial in them - these have the correct pre-measured amount in them so its easy for the bar staff (or if you want - you) to check that the correct amount has been poured.

It generally is the practice in Europe to fill a wine glass to between a third and a half full to allow a bouquet to develop - I hate it in restaurants when 'helpful' waiters fill glasses to the brim.....

Is it safe to assume that Trulli suffers from multiple personalities?

Talking of drink prices, I think their prices for claret are excellent. Really good. d'Yquem isn't a rediculous price either - unlike Cristal.

I'd rather have a half of d'Yquem than a bottle of Cristal.......

Matthew

Beloved is partial to Pink Cava. Do they do this?

I have to agree that filling wine glasses to the brim is uncivilised, for 5 or 6 reasons of taste and practicality. Though if paying by the glass, it will be everything to do with the corporate wine measure economics, and nothing to do with noses, eyes, bouquet or Dikwems.

I have to agree that filling wine glasses to the brim is uncivilised, for 5 or 6 reasons of taste and practicality. Though if paying by the glass, it will be everything to do with the corporate wine measure economics, and nothing to do with noses, eyes, bouquet or Dikwems.

A privilege to hear an expert in his field.

Haec. Jane

HAEC:Human Artificial Episomal Chromosome ???

epi: on

soma: body

on the body????

Can't find a font for Greek script, mercifully perhaps.

Please enlighten, M-L, or we will be back to Walloon, (but not the dialect of French that is spoken in Wallonia.)

:) :) Jane

my main complaint if the glass was filled to the brim....would be spilling a single drop ;) it would be my luck for it to dribble down my fluffy shirt or inside my upside down cummerbund and thus soaking the crumbs :eek: i would be saving.

Brian

How do you think they polish the metal?;)

Looking forwards to tasting this Paul Acker stuff......it will save me having to explain why i want to take several tins of metal polish onto the Ship...

For those of you travelling on 10th March 08 i will post my cabin number and will gladly accept any unwelcome bottles via the stateroom steward :rolleyes:

I intend to take a couple of items of silver to test the Acker -v - metal polish and publish the results in due course...:D

Brian

Merci beaucoups. I have looked further, and am not much the wiser, but it does indeed seem to mean on, or perhaps in, the body in the context of genetic material.

I prefer:

Have An Excellent Christmas.

:D Jane

AAHNY.

As in "And bonny Aahny Lawrie.........."

Archived