Incorrect first name on BC, will I have problems?

tallford78

I leave for a cruise on the 15th and was submitting my fun pass and realized I might have a problem. My birth certificate has my first name as Ryan whereas it should be Bryan. All other information is correct. My drivers license and SS card have my name as Bryan as well as every other document I can think of. Since I leave in less than a week I don't see any way to correct this other than just hoping they let me board. Does anyone have any experience with this situation or know what I can do?

I leave for a cruise on the 15th and was submitting my fun pass and realized I might have a problem. My birth certificate has my first name as Ryan whereas it should be Bryan. All other information is correct. My drivers license and SS card have my name as Bryan as well as every other document I can think of. Since I leave in less than a week I don't see any way to correct this other than just hoping they let me board. Does anyone have any experience with this situation or know what I can do?

Since you have other ID with the correct name it could work..but I am just curious why after all these years did you only notice the misspellling on your BC NOW:eek:

Actually all these years you thought your name was Bryan... it's really Ryan. :)

Don't have an answer but just curious... how did you manage to get a driver's license and SS card if your bc is wrong?

I'm only 24 and have known about it for years now but never thought about it as a problem. I have no idea how my mother got me a social security card but she did. I only wish she would have corrected the spelling before I became old enough to have to worry about it myself =). Anyways Im going to have one mad fiancee on my hands if they don't let me on.

I too am curious as to why you have waited til a week before you are sail to check & confirm you Documentation ?

The name on your Passport should match your Birth Certificate & the name your Travel Agent Booked you under should "ALL" agree. I believe that will be your passage to the gangway. Your TA should have made sure that your Documentation is in order. But not to Flame you here ..... BUT..... this is your responsibility also to make sure your are ready to go.

My TA has always asked me to check & confirm my Cruise Documents when they arrive... which has been about 3-4 weeks prior to the sail date.

Your Passport & the name that Carnival has as your Booking name must agree with you Drivers License.

Wow......... Good Luck. I would be talking to your Travel Agent tomorrow "ASAP"

I'm only 24 and have known about it for years now but never thought about it as a problem. I have no idea how my mother got me a social security card but she did. I only wish she would have corrected the spelling before I became old enough to have to worry about it myself =). Anyways Im going to have one mad fiancee on my hands if they don't let me on.

"NEVER THOUT ABOUT IT AS A PROBLEM............" Welcome to the age of terrorism

I do understand it's my responsibility to have taken care of this matter in advance so if I can't go, I can't go. I have never had an issue with this but also never went through such a strict inspection such as the DHS. Just one of them things I will learn from. I don't have a passport so my birth certificate is what I would be needing to use as my proof of citizenship.

I do understand it's my responsibility to have taken care of this matter in advance so if I can't go, I can't go. I have never had an issue with this but also never went through such a strict inspection such as the DHS. Just one of them things I will learn from. I don't have a passport so my birth certificate is what I would be needing to use as my proof of citizenship.

You've never had an issue because you've never traveled outside of the U.S. Except for Canada and Mexico (and Carribean) if you had ever traveled you would have known you had a problem.

Yes we booked through a travel agent. A passport, as I was told is not required since we are driving to New Orleans where we will depart and return to and no air travel is involved. This will change on 1/1/2008 where a passport will be required for all entries or exits to and from U.S. The cruise is a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the ship Fantasy.

Yes we booked through a travel agent. A passport, as I was told is not required since we are driving to New Orleans where we will depart and return to and no air travel is involved. This will change on 1/1/2008 where a passport will be required for all entries or exits to and from U.S. The cruise is a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the ship Fantasy.

Your cruise documents need to match the name on your ID.. sorry I misread the other post..

You need to talk to your Travel Agent 1st thing in the Morning. She will talk to Carnival. I would ..... IMHO....... get Documentation of your meeting with her..... and take it with you to the Port there in N.O.

You might be OK...... it all depends on who you talk to and what mood the Folks from Carnival are in. All I can say to you is,,,,,, be prepared...... be prepared ..... be prepared...... Be nice..... & ready to answer & have answers to their questions. There will be questions that Carnival is going to ask. Just have the answers.

But...... "PLEASE"..... talk to your TA in the morning.

Good luck

I wrote about this on another thread recently...In 1960, my mother was accompanying my sister's girl Scout troop to Mexico and needed a birth cert. to get a visitors card. She was 49 at the time, born 1910. When it came, the name on it said Harriet Louise, instead of Olive Louise (they are family names). Apparently, since she was born at home, the doctor had to file for the cert. and he didn't remember correctly...Her mother was still alive, and wrote an affidavit saying what her name should be, and they sent it to the state of Ohio and got it changed. EM

Essiesmom..... you gave me a great Idea.

tallford78..... you might be able to contact your state Capital & get a Birth cert. with your Correct Name. You can get these sometime within 24 hours. Explain you situation..... they will probably be able to help.

I thought Passports were required for ALL Cruises.
This will change on 1/1/2008 where a passport will be required for all entries or exits to and from U.S.
Not exactly...RT from the US cruises for US citizens will only require a BC and DL, same as today. Even after 2008.

As for the BC name difference, usually a one letter misspelling is not an issue at the port, but since the first letter is what is missing, do bring additional ID records showing that the correct name is Bryan, not Ryan. You should be OK as you are ahead of the verbal declaration deadline of 1/31/08. But DO get your BC corrected as soon as you get home. That will probably take some time, but it will save you many future headaches.

Good luck at the pier, I'm not sure how it's gonna work out, but I can offer this for future reference. If everything works out for you to go, when you get back from your trip, go and have your birth certificate amended. My so's birth certificate had Dwyan on it. (I think it was supposed to be Dewayne), anyway, all of his life, everything he did including his military paperwork, income taxes, driver's license, etc. he did using the name Wayne. Well, on our 1st cruise, he went to the local driver's license office and had a State I.D. issued to match his birth certificate (yes they had to change his license too), we cruised with no problem. When we returned, he went to the local courthouse and paid to have his birth certificate amended to read Wayne instead of Dwayn. It took 3 months or so, (was supposed to only take a few weeks), but he finally got back the amended birth certificate. Once he got that back, he applied for his passport, and got it, no problem. I would get that straightened out when you return as soon as possible. In the meantime, why don't you take your birth certificate and have the state I.D. made to match it? Now where we live, you simply go down, have it done and walk out with the license/i.d. not sure about where you live. You may wind up having to re-do your license also, my so did, and yes it was a pain, but when he got the amended birth certificate back, he just went back down, and had everything changed to match. He had to explain everything, but there was no problem. Whatever happens, good luck, and let us know how you came out. Quick question, does the name on your docs match your driver's license or your birth certificate? If the name on the docs matches what's on your license, then never-mind about having the state i.d. issued to match the birth certificate. Of course you could still do it, and tell them it was a spelling error that wasn't caught until it was too late.:rolleyes: Whatever happens, good luck, and let us know.:)

I wouldn't just hope they let your board.

Either go and get your SS card and drivers license changed to Ryan or get your birth certificate changed.

Your TA can't help because customs and immigration don't give a rip about what a Carnival rep will tell you and they don't play around!!

Go TOMORROW and get your birth certificate fixed.

I think that I would follow Bubles advise. Get the DL changed tomorrow to match the BC. Call Carnival tomorrow and tell them that you discovered that they mis-spelled your name (should be Ryan not Bryan to match all your documentation) and see if they will correct your name for free on your cruise docs BUT if they insist that you pay the $50 for a name change to correct it I would pay the $50 to insure that you can get on the ship next week. Good luck and please update us after your trip.

On my birth certificate my first name is spelled Paul (they left the a off the end) it should have been Paula. I have never had any problems with getting Social Security, Driver's License or Passport, so you shouldn't have any problems either. Happy Cruising!

Archived