Magic experiences 30 foot seas from Olga!

Aprille

My parents (Mom age 78 & Dad age 85) are onboard the Magic. I got an email from them yesterday afternoon reporting 30 foot seas with outside decks closed and stage shows cancelled. :eek:

They appear to have weathered the storm well as Mom reported they were going off to eat after she logged off. :p :D I got another email from them this morning. They are docked in St Maarten and enjoying having the run of the ship as they won't be getting off.

It appears the storm is moving off to the east so hopefully they've had the worst of it. I didn't even know about the subtropical storm out there until I saw it on the news this morning. Anyway, I'm just glad they made it through okay. My poor ol' dad has a hard enough time walking without the ship a'rockin'. Mom reported getting lots of help from "nice folks" and CMs while moving around during the worst of it. :)

Well, I don't post over here on the Disney board (as you can see from my sig, I'm an RCCL gal ;)) but thought I'd share.

those seas would be twice what NOAA has forecast and what they say is being reported by ships and sensors in the area.....
Okay. So if it was only 15 foot swells would they have to close outside decks and cancel shows on Magic??? What kind of rinky-dink ship is this?! :p ;)

I've been in 20 foot seas (as reported by the Captain) in the Gulf of Alaska on Radiance of the Seas and they didn't close any outside decks or cancel shows.

I emailed her to ask her where she got the figure. She's not really one to pull numbers out of thin air so that's why I assumed she heard it through an announcement by the Captain or something similar. Will report back when she replies.

We've encountered 30 foot seas on two Disney Magic cruises. Once on the eastern itinerary and the other going through Hurricane Hilary on the eastbound repo cruise in 2005. Both times they did close the outside decks, but the seas calmed down enough by evening so that they didn't have to cancel the shows.

On all 5 of our DCL cruises, the data they show on the TV channel has always seemed pretty accurate to me.

Just got an email from Mom. She got the info off the TV channel that shows the Report from the Bridge. It showed 20 to 30 foot waves all day yesterday and most of the evening.

I would think that is fairly close to accurate if they had to close outside decks and cancel shows. :cool:

Okay. So if it was only 15 foot swells would they have to close outside decks and cancel shows on Magic??? What kind of rinky-dink ship is this?! :p ;)

I've been in 20 foot seas (as reported by the Captain) in the Gulf of Alaska on Radiance of the Seas and they didn't close any outside decks or cancel shows.

I emailed her to ask her where she got the figure. She's not really one to pull numbers out of thin air so that's why I assumed she heard it through an announcement by the Captain or something similar. Will report back when she replies.

Disney has to be very careful because one "wrong decision" could cost them thousands. people are sue happy thats all i can say. and the Magic is a small ship compared to RCCL, so the waves feel worse on Disney's ships than on a bigger ship

I was on a cruise once, of course it was a long time ago where the ships are not as aqua dynamic (like that!!) and we hit about 15 to 20 ft waves. I personally love this, but the water glasses on the table sloshed back and forth. It was very difficult to walk, everyone looked drunk, so I can see canceling the shows. I was also on RCCL in Oct and we hit very windy conditions, not much wave action, and the decks were closed. Later that night at the show, a wave slammed the side of the ship, not rocking it too bad but the sound it made was scary. The comedian on stage said " I can't believe how calm you are, I think we just hit a rock. I hope we don't get a flat!"

I was on that cruise and sat and watched the mickey pool for a while every time the boat would rock the water would run out and when it went the other way it would fill back up. I bumped into a few things walking around but thankfully never felt sick but those first few nights the dining rooms were pretty empty when we had breakfast there were maybe 5 tables with people eating. Even though it was a full ship it felt pretty empty the first few days because everyone was in their room sea sick.

Hi it's me - Aprille's mom. Must say the Magic is a very well stabilized ship even though it's much smaller than most of the other cruise ships. I was quite surprised that we were able to move around with the help of hand rails and walls to lean against. And many helping hands along the way.

When it finally calmed down I stepped out onto our deck 6 verandah into a couple inches of water - and it didn't rain. CM's started coming by with water vacs to suck up that water. Those high waves didn't spoil our trip at all. Actually, it was quite an exciting experience. I'm just relieved that we both tolerated it well even though Glenn confessed after we got home that he got a bit queasy.

I was also on the ship last week. They did close the pools, but not the jacuzzi, so my DD was able to watch High School Musical out on the Ariel View screen.

As far as the show, they just switched nights for movie night "Enchanted" with the Cinderella Twice Charmed live show.

The only inconvenience we had was the sliding door into our bedroom in our suite. I had to keep it closed and locked or the doors kept banging back and forth into each other :-)

I was on that cruise as well. Unfortunately, I did get rather seasick, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the cruise!

I took some pictures of the waves splashing around in the Quiet Cove pool. If I can find them when I get home, I'll post them.

Other than that bit of weather, it was an awesome cruise!

Beth

Beth,

I am so sorry to hear you got sick. I can too confirm the stateroom television listing seas as 20-30 foot. We really bounced around from Monday noon on. The waves out of the Goofy and Quiet Cove pool really showed the ships movement.

We started taking Bonine on Friday and were fortunate not to get sick. There were a lot of people missing from Animator's Monday night though.

Beth,

I am so sorry to hear you got sick.

Thanks to JsMom2, I tried eating green apples to keep my stomach settled. They worked fairly well, and with the addition of sea bands (those wrist bands) I wasn't as miserable as I could have been!

I'm chalking it up to experience, and having a great time telling the veteran cruiser here in the office about it. He says that he would jump overboard and drown himself before he'd go through that kind of a storm:eek:!

Beth

Archived