How dressy is dinner on NCL?

LilRhody

I've tried a search, but the function doesn't seem to be working. With the whole "freestyle" concept, I'm trying to figure out just how dressed up people get for dinner on NCL these days.

We love getting dressed up and loved the formal nights on our past cruises, but I've gathered from here that such a thing doesn't exist on NCL. So, are we looking at dress pants and shirts/tops, suits/dresses, or something else?

I'd like to pick up whatever clothing hubby and I might need during all the big Christmas sales.

IME, most folks are very casual on NCL. Capris, casual slacks and skirts for the ladies, golf shirts and khakis for the guys. Also jeans in most of the dining rooms.

I wore a black below the knee skirt and beaded mesh T for the one optional formal night and was among the most dressed up, which was a small percentage.

I chose to dine in the extra charge restaurants each night and dressed up more than most but dressing down is not my nature. NCL was not a good fit for me.

We sailed NCL last July and it really went the full circle. For most nights the ladies were in Capri's (this was a warm weather cruise) and a nice top, men were not wearing jackets or ties, instead long pants and a casual top.

We dined in the specilatly resturant on formal night and although not everybody, many were dressed for the formal night. Most of the ladeis wore cocktail dresses, a few long gowns and a few casual pants. I did not feel out of place in a cocktail dress. Men, jacket and tie for the most part , a few in suits, again some more casual. I think the choice is really yours, whatever you want going from formal to casual, you will see it all with the majority smewhere in the middle.

We were on the Pearl in May (Alaska) and there was a wide variety in clothing. I would say on the non dress up nights we didn't see a huge amount of jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Surprisingly, it appeared that a lot of people tended to dress decently. I don't mean ties and coats, but a lot of buttom up shirts and nice blouses. NCL has what they call "dress up or not" nights. On a seven day cruise there will be two of these. We didn't dress up on those nights, but a lot of people did. We saw everything from long evening gowns, tuxs, cocktail dresses to capri pants and jeans-even shorts:eek: I say if you like to dress up-go for it, you'll fit right in:)

We were on the NCL SUN in January (2007). We did dress on formal night because we enjoyed doing it but other than that - shorts, T-Tops, capris, etc.

You wore this to dinner the other nights that were not formal night? Is that what most people wore?

We are considering a NCL cruise becuase it is to Bermuda departing from Charleston,SC.

The majority of the week will be in Bermuda-so we figured even if we don't like the line we will like the destination and not flying.

I know we flew home from Newark, NJ our last cruise-we debarked ship, a little before 10AM, we then took the shuttle to the airport, but that took awhile, becuase the bus had to be full before the driver would leave, then he went around to the different terminals (it is crazy how the terminals are set up there too-he kept having to get by on the freeway after each terminal and then backtrack to the airport) and ofcourse Delta was one of the last ones. Then we went thru security and then waited for our 1:30 PM flight-we landed a little after 3, then we had to get our bags and take a shuttle to the parkinglot where we had left our car. By the time we got to our home it was almost 5 PM- 7 hours after we debarked ship.

So we felt driving to Charleston, SC would actually be simplier then flying to Boston or NY to take a Bermuda cruise.

I don't like to dress really casual for dinner-as in shorts or capris-but I also don't like to stand out in a crowd, that makes me uncomfortable. I guess I will bring several skirts that have a very casual feel for dinner-as I would not wear shorts to dinner.

Each to his/her own I guess. I did the NCL Bermuda cruise and the only reason I chose this cruise was because of the 3 days in Bermuda. Now bear in mind we knew about the casual dress up front even though we prefer to dress for dinner. We boarded with our eyes open.

We dressed semi formal on formal nights, and I wore capri's,with a nice top, sometimes scarfs, skirts and nice sun dresses in the evening. I did not feel out of place with my choices. It is true some will wear shorts to dinner, but I did not find this to be the majority on our cruise. As it turned out we really enjoyed the cruise, it far exceeded our expectations.... From my point of view I would recommend this cruise if Bermuda is what you want.

I have a pretty long picture review of this cruise if you would like to see it. Here it is:

http://www.justcruisin-sv.com/CruiseShips/NCL%20PAGE%20ONE.htm

Janie, IME, it was REALLY casual. I was amongst the most dressed up every evening and personally I find it weird to have some folks dressed up and others dressed down.

I did not care for the casual atmosphere at all.

Kim, I won't have high expectations-we still haven't booked- because of Tony's new boss-he can't reserve vacation until after Jan. 1 for 08-we are trying to decide what we will actually book-we thought we might do this in May and then next winter book the Solstice but I learned that ship will hold almost 3000 PAX-so I guess even Celebrity is going to the monster ships.

So who knows what we will end up doing-I don't hae a clue! but I already decided if we book this cruise-we will look as it as a trip to Bermuda and not a cruise.

We dress for dinner every night the way we would dress for a nicer restaurant in our hometown. And on the Majesty last summer, I saw people wearing shorts turned away from the dining room.

Here's how we dressed on the optional dress-up night on the Majesty. We were among the more dressed up but I have no problem with that or what other people choose to wear.

1025382966_Formalnight.jpg.1cd7c097800a3dac25f8a724d278eca3.jpg

We dress for dinner every night the way we would dress for a nicer restaurant in our hometown. And on the Majesty last summer, I saw people wearing shorts turned away from the dining room.

Here's how we dressed on the optional dress-up night on the Majesty. We were among the more dressed up but I have no problem with that or what other people choose to wear.

You look very nice! One thing though I wanted to ask-first do you see many men wearing tuxes? I am thinking maybe my hubby should just bring a suit for this cruise.

Also for the specialty restuarant-do you dress up for there?

I am glad to hear people wearing shorts were turned away.

I figured I could dress causally in some of those bohemian tiered skirts-I have plenty of those for summertime-if we do book this cruise.

If we book a Celebrity or HAL cruise then ofcourse I will dress nicer then bohemian tiered skirts-even on casual nights.

We will book the Majesty though some time-I understand she will be in Charleston, SC for 09 also and will do some cruises going to Bermuda from there also in 09.

You look very nice! One thing though I wanted to ask-first do you see many men wearing tuxes? I am thinking maybe my hubby should just bring a suit for this cruise.

I am glad to hear people wearing shorts were turned away.

I figured I could dress causally in some of those bohemian tiered skirts-I have plenty of those for summertime-if we do book this cruise.

If we book a Celebrity or HAL cruise then ofcourse I will dress nicer then bohemian tiered skirts-even on casual nights.

We will book the Majesty though some time-I understand she will be in Charleston, SC for 09 also and will do some cruises going to Bermuda from there also in 09.

The majesty is a nice cozy little ship, kind of a throwback to cruising 20 years ago. We sailed the 7 day Caribbean at the end of january this year, and there were a large number of mature passangers, so the optional formal night was a little more formal, although I didn't feel out of place in my resort casual attire.

I am not sure if I would like the rest of NCL, but really liked the modest little cruise I had on the majesty, the crew were soooo friendly and warm.

MAC

The majesty is a nice cozy little ship, kind of a throwback to cruising 20 years ago. We sailed the 7 day Caribbean at the end of january this year, and there were a large number of mature passangers, so the optional formal night was a little more formal, although I didn't feel out of place in my resort casual attire.

I am not sure if I would like the rest of NCL, but really liked the modest little cruise I had on the majesty, the crew were soooo friendly and warm.

MAC

I like the older ships and feel sad they are going. That part does not bother me at all. Even though I enjoy dressing up for dinner-I have noticed most do not do this anymore-except for my Celebrity cruises and most of the people on my Princes cruise last year. but I don't even worry about that-really-although I did not like it when people kind've stared at me when I dressed up for the specailty restuarant on RCI a couple of years ago and went down to have my picture made in the PR area.

One thing I do like about this cruise is we arrive around 9 AM on a Tuesday and leave noon on Friday- so we have a good bit of time in Bermuda-and we dock at St. Georges instead of the dockyard and that is a plus to me. I prefered St. Georges and Hamilton to the dockyard.

I like the older ships and feel sad they are going. That part does not bother me at all. Even though I enjoy dressing up for dinner-I have noticed most do not do this anymore-except for my Celebrity cruises and most of the people on my Princes cruise last year. but I don't even worry about that-really-although I did not like it when people kind've stared at me when I dressed up for the specailty restuarant on RCI a couple of years ago and went down to have my picture made in the PR area.

One thing I do like about this cruise is we arrive around 9 AM on a Tuesday and leave noon on Friday- so we have a good bit of time in Bermuda-and we dock at St. Georges instead of the dockyard and that is a plus to me. I prefered St. Georges and Hamilton to the dockyard.

I see that you've been on the Zenith (our favorite ship). The Majesty is about the same size and will remind you of her. I was on the Majesty in Feb. on a spur of the moment inexpensive cruise. The Majesty has some issues but nothing to get one's knickers in a knot about.

I wore a long black evening dress for the optional formal night and did not feel out of place even though I was definitely in the minority. All the NCL people will tell you that's what Freestyle is all about...do what YOU want.

We will probably go on the Majesty to Bermuda since that is our destination of choice and like you have noted, it has the best intinerary, i.e. most time there. We loved docking in both Hamilton and St. George but just docking in St.George is not a bad thing. After next season, ALL ships will dock only at the Dockyard.:(

Even though we loved the Zenith and the little extras that Celebrity provides we also loved the Empress of the Seas this year (1st time on RCCL), sorry to see her being moved. If the Majesty can take us to Bermuda, we'll be happy as we just go with the flow.:)

I see that you've been on the Zenith (our favorite ship). The Majesty is about the same size and will remind you of her. I was on the Majesty in Feb. on a spur of the moment inexpensive cruise. The Majesty has some issues but nothing to get one's knickers in a knot about.

I wore a long black evening dress for the optional formal night and did not feel out of place even though I was definitely in the minority. All the NCL people will tell you that's what Freestyle is all about...do what YOU want.

We will probably go on the Majesty to Bermuda since that is our destination of choice and like you have noted, it has the best intinerary, i.e. most time there. We loved docking in both Hamilton and St. George but just docking in St.George is not a bad thing. After next season, ALL ships will dock only at the Dockyard.:(

Even though we loved the Zenith and the little extras that Celebrity provides we also loved the Empress of the Seas this year (1st time on RCCL), sorry to see her being moved. If the Majesty can take us to Bermuda, we'll be happy as we just go with the flow.:)

Yes we loved the Zenith and felt there was nothing wrong with her-even though on her we had an obstructed oceanview.

but I did feel most PAX made an effort on her to dress nice. tha tis why I like Celebrity and Princess-you want to dress up and look nice because others dress up and look nice.

As far as the freestyle policy-since Carnival and RCI do not have that policy but still most ignore suggested wear and wear whatever they want-I think I prefer that at east on NCL people are not "breaking the rules." I just find that disrespectful and I feel I will be able to "go with the flow" better there as I will know I am not breaking any rules or going against suggested wear.

Carnival Tropicale wasa small ship but my absolute favoirtie of small ships was the old Pacific Princess-600 PAX max-that is the ship that took us to Bermuda before-and we actually went to St. Georges, Hamilton, and the dockyard.

I liked St. Georges and Hamilton much better then the dockyard-so I guess we really should go back to Bermuda while we can still do those ports.

One thing though I wanted to ask-first do you see many men wearing tuxes? I am thinking maybe my hubby should just bring a suit for this cruise.

I saw one or two tuxes. Most men do not wear suits even on optional dress-up night but my DH wears at least a dress shirt and tie every night. We dressed up a little more for dinner at the specialty restaurant.

Your skirts sound perfect for dinner. I would say the average person on regular nights in the main dining rooms wore what I might wear to Chili's in the summer. I enjoy dressing up a little on my cruises and most nights wear a dress or nice skirt and blouse.

Enjoy yourself!

Barb

I saw one or two tuxes. Most men do not wear suits even on optional dress-up night but my DH wears at least a dress shirt and tie every night. We dressed up a little more for dinner at the specialty restaurant.

Your skirts sound perfect for dinner. I would say the average person on regular nights in the main dining rooms wore what I might wear to Chili's in the summer. I enjoy dressing up a little on my cruises and most nights wear a dress or nice skirt and blouse.

Enjoy yourself!

Barb

well Barb, I do believe we will probally book the Majesty-ofcourse we still can't do it for almost 2 weeks-as my hubby's new boss won't approve vacation time until after the first. But this sounds good for us and my hubby really wants to scuba dive in Bermuda.

Our last trip he just snorkled as he was not certified then-but he loved Jesse James there and I am sure he will book a scuba with them.

Kim, we still want to go to San Juan and Turk and Caicos but that will wait until 09 and as we learned the Solstice is as big as it is-we will probally go with HAL, as we just not heard enough positive things about Costa-besides the one Costa ship (Fortuna) is the size of the Solstice.

well Barb, I do believe we will probally book the Majesty-ofcourse we still can't do it for almost 2 weeks-as my hubby's new boss won't approve vacation time until after the first. But this sounds good for us and my hubby really wants to scuba dive in Bermuda.

Our last trip he just snorkled as he was not certified then-but he loved Jesse James there and I am sure he will book a scuba with them.

We loved Bermuda and snorkeled with Jesse James. We would definitely go back to Bermuda and liked the Majesty, although we like the Dream better and that is doing the Boston-Bermuda run next season. When our DD is at camp if we can get a good rate on that cruise (probably last minute) we would do it again. We liked being in St George. We also like the smaller ships. Cruising in the summer for us is not such a thrill as cruising in February because we live in NH and I find the weather here great in July and horrible in February.

On our Majesty cruise we met a couple who has done many, many cruises and that was their first NCL one and they said it was their favorite cruise ever- the most relaxing and with the friendliest passengers. We met another couple which had done several cruises and loathed the Majesty one and went on at very annoying length about what a crappy vacation it was. So it's all what you expect and what you enjoy. Give me a good place to sit and read and watch the water and decent service and I am happy.

Barb

We loved Bermuda and snorkeled with Jesse James. We would definitely go back to Bermuda and liked the Majesty, although we like the Dream better and that is doing the Boston-Bermuda run next season. When our DD is at camp if we can get a good rate on that cruise (probably last minute) we would do it again. We liked being in St George. We also like the smaller ships. Cruising in the summer for us is not such a thrill as cruising in February because we live in NH and I find the weather here great in July and horrible in February.

On our Majesty cruise we met a couple who has done many, many cruises and that was their first NCL one and they said it was their favorite cruise ever- the most relaxing and with the friendliest passengers. We met another couple which had done several cruises and loathed the Majesty one and went on at very annoying length about what a crappy vacation it was. So it's all what you expect and what you enjoy. Give me a good place to sit and read and watch the water and decent service and I am happy.

Barb

Barb, I would think Boston would be much more closer to New Hampshire. so it makes sense you would pick the new ship both for convience and the fact the ship is newer.

I am just happy there is finailly a ship going to Bermuda from the southern states. You know, if you look at a map, Bermuda is about level with North Carolina/Virginia so I never understood why most Bermuda crusies left out of New york.

Last night we had dinner with friends and we were telling them we were planning on booking this and they want to go too.

On second thought.....I wouldn't worry that much about what to wear....I'd worry about THE FOOD ! Lets hope it stays down.

Good Luck !

I plan to eat off ship in

Bermuda for dinner the nights we are there so I am not worried about that.

Yes I would love it if Celebrity or Princess did a crusie out of Charleston SC to Bermuda but they do not do that-so I will go with the line that does do it.

Archived