No waffles for breakfast???

jerzeecruzer

:rolleyes: We sailed on the Crown Princess in October on its repositioning cruise from NY to San Juan. It was a great cruise but we were looking forward to waffles for breakfast. When we asked about the availability of waffles were were given some story about electricity(?) by the Head Waiter. This was suppose to explain why we could not get wafffles...

We loved the Crown and have booked for November 2008 with a group of 25 family & friends. Is there a real reason why we cannot request waffles for breakfast?

Only waffles we have had are the premake frozen type. I would think one reason they do not offer them is the amount of time to cook them. They would need a lot of waffle irons to satisify all the folks that would want them if available.

I thought waffles were always available in the dining room for breakfast. No? One problem with waffles in the buffet is that it doesn't take much for them to become soggy and yucky. :(

Even if you can get waffles or pancakes in the buffet or dining room, the "maple syrup" is absolutely disgusting; it's probably maple-flavored corn syrup which bears no resemblance to maple syrup.

I thought waffles were always available in the dining room for breakfast. No? One problem with waffles in the buffet is that it doesn't take much for them to become soggy and yucky.

You're so right, and that's why Celebrity makes them to order, big Belgian waffles, and serves them with whipped butter, melted butter, fruits and syrups and real whipped cream. They are deadly good. I have to limit myself to one per cruise.

Waffles on ships have 3 problems.

As a distinctly American dish (except for Belgian waffles), most waffle irons (except for Belgian machines) are 120 volts. On international cruise ships, 120 volts must be artificially created with step-down transformers. As waffle irons draw quite a bit of current, a 120 volt waffle iron requires a very large, heavy, and expensive step-down transformer. Many ships have a problem with plugging this equipment into the power grid.

Waffle irons tend to burn themselves out quickly when used at high volume. If you are making several thousand waffles per day on one of those machines, it doesn't last very long. Belgian waffle machines are quite expensive and difficult to replace.

The US Public Health Service takes a very dim view of machines like waffle irons. While not exactly prohibited, they realize that the machine is very difficult to clean to USPH Standards. Ships would prefer not to take the chance of losing points on a USPH Inspection just because they are making waffles. Many ships that call at US Ports will not use the irons. That's why you see the frozen waffles instead.

Archived