see any green monkeys?

Thoth

We will be taking our 4th cruise, first with the kids--twins age 4. We want to do the preserve excursion, but the info. on the RC site says 5 and up. We will be traveling with grandparents too and the info regarding the mobility issue was a bummer. So, here are my questions:

Is the 4x4 a truck/jeep or an orv? (I understand the age/mobility if it is an orv but not if it's a truck.)

Is the preserve appropriate for kids under 5?

How else could we get to the preserve if it is appropriate for the kids to be there but not via 4x4?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Stampincheryl

How big is your group? If it's big enough, you can probably arrange a personalized tour with one of the commercial tour companies, such as Glory Tours, http://glorytours.org/. If the URL is X'd out, Google Glory Tours Barbados.

We took the Touch of Splendour tour, which included a drive to the scenic east coast, the Wildlife Preserve, and Orchid World. If Harrison's Cave is open, that will replace Orchid World. (The cave should be much more exciting for four year olds than beautiful, but tame, Orchid World). The cost, assuming Harrison's Cave is included, is $56 U.S. per adult and $28 per child, with a $5 per adult and $3 per child reduction for a group of 4 or more. Yes, we did see Green Monkeys. See our post, above.

Glory is great (and no, we have no connection with the company other than that we're satisfied customers). With a group of 6 or 8 people (you indicated grandparents), you can probably arrange anything you want, such as the Wildlife Preserve, lunch, and a beach.

BTW, Glory uses SUVs and large vans, not open jeeps. As for age, we saw babies in strollers and in carriers. If your kids can be quiet so they don't scare the animals, they should be OK.

I did this excursion last month through the ship and had a great time. The 4X4s we were in were sort of a cross between a jeep and an SUV - half enclosed. The trip back did get quite bumpy, as we cut through a giant sugar cane field, so that might be something to consider with small children. Also, I think the reason for the "age 5 and up" suggestion is that the monkeys will bite if touched, and it sometimes hard for kiddies to keep their hands to themselves where cuddly-looking animals are concerned. I guess we lucked out with the timing of our visit, because the place was lousy with monkeys when we were there. They were all over - inches away, even sometimes pulling at people's sleeves and trying to get into their bags. It was awesome. We also stopped at a gorgeous beach in Bathsheba after the reserve and were there for about half an hour.

How big is your group? If it's big enough, you can probably arrange a personalized tour with one of the commercial tour companies, such as Glory Tours, http://glorytours.org/. If the URL is X'd out, Google Glory Tours Barbados.

We took the Touch of Splendour tour, which included a drive to the scenic east coast, the Wildlife Preserve, and Orchid World. If Harrison's Cave is open, that will replace Orchid World. (The cave should be much more exciting for four year olds than beautiful, but tame, Orchid World). The cost, assuming Harrison's Cave is included, is $56 U.S. per adult and $28 per child, with a $5 per adult and $3 per child reduction for a group of 4 or more. Yes, we did see Green Monkeys. See our post, above.

Glory is great (and no, we have no connection with the company other than that we're satisfied customers). With a group of 6 or 8 people (you indicated grandparents), you can probably arrange anything you want, such as the Wildlife Preserve, lunch, and a beach.

BTW, Glory uses SUVs and large vans, not open jeeps. As for age, we saw babies in strollers and in carriers. If your kids can be quiet so they don't scare the animals, they should be OK.

Did you book from home prior to the cruise or while on Barbados?

I did this excursion last month through the ship and had a great time. The 4X4s we were in were sort of a cross between a jeep and an SUV - half enclosed. The trip back did get quite bumpy, as we cut through a giant sugar cane field, so that might be something to consider with small children. Also, I think the reason for the "age 5 and up" suggestion is that the monkeys will bite if touched, and it sometimes hard for kiddies to keep their hands to themselves where cuddly-looking animals are concerned. I guess we lucked out with the timing of our visit, because the place was lousy with monkeys when we were there. They were all over - inches away, even sometimes pulling at people's sleeves and trying to get into their bags. It was awesome. We also stopped at a gorgeous beach in Bathsheba after the reserve and were there for about half an hour.

It's great to hear you booked through the ship and had a great time. I'm all booked for April. Also for the heads up on the monkey behavor. I'll keep that in mind.

Went on a private tour with Glory Tours 2 weeks ago and were able to get up close and personal with the green monkeys at the Nature Reserve. Because our tour was private and with a fabulous and knowledgeable tour guide, Sarah, we were able to go and stay as long as we wanted (and not shoveled in and out as the ship's tour guests were). Sarah also personalized our tour so that we specifically visited when the monkeys returned to the Reserve for food, and believe me, the monkeys were everywhere!

• 3 months later...

Alright I've competed the 4 x 4 and Green Money encounter tour. Did I see monkeys? YES most definitely ! They were in this little park in which they were fed right after the tourist arrived ( surprise surprise) and the creature came to dinner. I got lots and lots of pictures of monkeys. PLENTY of monkey pictures...even enough to share.

I think I enjoyed the 4 x 4 part of the tour better. Our guide would "take a shortcut " through the sugar cane fields and would hit every mudhole he could find. That was more fun that watching the monkeys eat.

We did Sarah's Glory Tours - best of barbados tour - and went to the wildlife reserve and saw tons of monkeys - in fact we lost track of how many. This was definitely a highlight of our vacation, but we're real wildlife lovers.

• 2 weeks later...

First time in Barbados for one day with cruise. We are scenic people, discovering and learning the flavour of the island peoples way of life. We're arranging a private tour with Ville Greaves. Musts are Bathsheba for lunch, and a walk along that stretch of beach. I've read the interior is not to be missed and also North Point. As it would take too long to do it all what would you suggest we ask for?

I’ve have to leave for a few days, so I thought I’d give you a 4-5 hour day in Barbados. It is refreshing to find a tourist that wants to see the land and the people. That’s exactly how we ended up living on the island for part of the year.

I may hear arguments, but our East Coast is without match in the Caribbean. You chose wisely.

Please remember that Barbados is a relativity small island but we have an abundance of attractions. To attempt to visit them all in a day doesn’t do them, or you, justice. Your visit to our East Coast will hopefully whet your appetite and you will return for a longer stay.

I’d leave the terminal in B-town and travel SE. Some of the most breathtaking scenes occur between Green point and Ragged Point on our SE coast. Follow the East Coast Road North to St. John’s Parish Church. A breathtaking view and 400 year-old history abound.

North again to Tent Bay, Bathsheba, Cattlewash. Pick your beach to explore in this area. These are the beaches in the travel magazines and the pride of Barbados.

Your lunch is here, too…. It should be about noon, or so. After lunch you should be about 4 hours into your adventure.

Proceed NW up the EC HWY. Follow the HWY as it turns West at Lakes Beach and becomes HWY 2 as I remember. This will take you through the Scotland District, a beautiful part of the island.

Eventually the road will terminate at Speightstown on our West Coast. Proceed south to the terminal passing our West Coast beaches and US$4,000 a night resorts. Without lengthily stops or traffic jams, you'll be about five hours, maybe a little more.

You’d probably need another hour to see North Point. If that’s what is important to you and you don’t have the time, I’d reverse the itinerary and start North from the dock instead of south. Doing it this way, you’d have to return after lunch and would miss a very beautiful part of the island.

As you can see, most day-visitors must compromise.

That’s why we have the most return visitors of all the Caribbean Islands. ;)

Enjoy! :)

"...but our East Coast is without match in the Caribbean. "

Totally agree that the East Atlantic coast is beautiful and well worth the trip from Bridgetown. It has chunks of rock out in the water and might remind some of the Oregon Coast or the baths of Virgin Gorda.

I’ve have to leave for a few days, so I thought I’d give you a 4-5 hour day in Barbados. It is refreshing to find a tourist that wants to see the land and the people. That’s exactly how we ended up living on the island for part of the year.

I may hear arguments, but our East Coast is without match in the Caribbean. You chose wisely.

Please remember that Barbados is a relativity small island but we have an abundance of attractions. To attempt to visit them all in a day doesn’t do them, or you, justice. Your visit to our East Coast will hopefully whet your appetite and you will return for a longer stay.

I’d leave the terminal in B-town and travel SE. Some of the most breathtaking scenes occur between Green point and Ragged Point on our SE coast. Follow the East Coast Road North to St. John’s Parish Church. A breathtaking view and 400 year-old history abound.

North again to Tent Bay, Bathsheba, Cattlewash. Pick your beach to explore in this area. These are the beaches in the travel magazines and the pride of Barbados.

Your lunch is here, too…. It should be about noon, or so. After lunch you should be about 4 hours into your adventure.

Proceed NW up the EC HWY. Follow the HWY as it turns West at Lakes Beach and becomes HWY 2 as I remember. This will take you through the Scotland District, a beautiful part of the island.

Eventually the road will terminate at Speightstown on our West Coast. Proceed south to the terminal passing our West Coast beaches and US$4,000 a night resorts. Without lengthily stops or traffic jams, you'll be about five hours, maybe a little more.

You’d probably need another hour to see North Point. If that’s what is important to you and you don’t have the time, I’d reverse the itinerary and start North from the dock instead of south. Doing it this way, you’d have to return after lunch and would miss a very beautiful part of the island.

As you can see, most day-visitors must compromise.

That’s why we have the most return visitors of all the Caribbean Islands. ;)

Enjoy! :)

For some reason I couldn't reply w/o using the Quote feature.:( Barbados, thank you so much that's exactly the kind of input we were looking for. I'll forget about North Point this time around. I've printed your suggestions and will run them by the tour operator we're looking at Ville Greaves. Again, thanks soooo much.:D

The park I visited is called Barbados Wildlife Reserve. That's where I saw all these monkeys. According to the brochure given..." The monkey's are free to leave and often spend the afternoons in the nearby GrenadeHall Forest. They usually return into the wildlife reserve by 3pm-4pm and are best observed at that time when they are provisioned with fruits, vegetables, etc. "

This reiterates my earlier point....be there at feeding time.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from a week in Barbados and saw green monkeys every afternoon about 4 pm at the tennis courts of the Divi Southwinds Resort in St Lawrence Gap. There are monkeys at Graeme Hall Sanctuary but we visited early in the day and didn't see any.

They say that there are 15,000 Green Monkeys on Barbados.

I think there are twice that.

Just plant anything in your garden and they are there, or try and play the GM at Sandy and you'll see them everytime on 16.

They've been known to steal golf balls!

They are 'protected' now, so they are braver.

Please take a few home with you.... ;)

greenmonkey.JPG

Just plant anything in your garden and they are there, or try and play the GM at Sandy and you'll see them everytime on 16.

They've been known to steal golf balls!

They are 'protected' now, so they are braver.

Please take a few home with you.... ;)

greenmonkey.JPG

thanks for the offer....but NO THANKS

• 6 months later...

Hi:) I was thinking of booking this tour with the cruiseline

next month.

Lots of opinions...overall, it looks good and something

different too:)

I am not big on the beach stuff so was thinking of doing

either this or going in the direction of

"Barbados Finest Blends" tour;)

To the OP, I sail solo as well and normally use the cruiseline

excursions too.:)

Hi:) I was thinking of booking this tour with the cruiseline

next month.

Lots of opinions...overall, it looks good and something

different too:)

I am not big on the beach stuff so was thinking of doing

either this or going in the direction of

"Barbados Finest Blends" tour;)

To the OP, I sail solo as well and normally use the cruiseline

excursions too.:)

The monkey park was pretty good in that if you want pictures of the critters, there's your chance. In think I enjoyed the 4x4 part much better.

Not into beaches? Me neither ! If I want to get wet, I'll do that in the ship's pool. One time I took a swimming tour and found it a pain in the neck. There wasn't anyone to watch my wallet, for one thing. That's the life of a solo traveler for you !

The monkey park was pretty good in that if you want pictures of the critters, there's your chance. In think I enjoyed the 4x4 part much better.

Not into beaches? Me neither ! If I want to get wet, I'll do that in the ship's pool. One time I took a swimming tour and found it a pain in the neck. There wasn't anyone to watch my wallet, for one thing. That's the life of a solo traveler for you !

Hi, I booked the tour yesterday:)..looking forward to both,

the monkies and the 4 x 4!

As for solo, I have done beach excursions before through the

cruiseline and maybe I have gotten lucky but I have always

ended up with friendly people,:D we sat together and someone

was there to watch all the accessories:)..all the time.

I bring more than a wallet on beach type tours....usually

a beach bag supplied by the ship.

Anyway, I enjoy sightseeing more than water excursions

(Unless it is something really different:D)....I like to try

new things as well.

Thanks for the reply!:)

Hi, I booked the tour yesterday:)..looking forward to both,

the monkies and the 4 x 4!

As for solo, I have done beach excursions before through the

cruiseline and maybe I have gotten lucky but I have always

ended up with friendly people,:D we sat together and someone

was there to watch all the accessories:)..all the time.

I bring more than a wallet on beach type tours....usually

a beach bag supplied by the ship.

Anyway, I enjoy sightseeing more than water excursions

(Unless it is something really different:D)....I like to try

new things as well.

Thanks for the reply!:)

I think you will enjoy yourself. As for friendly people, that's one of the merits of a ship's shore excursion. I rarely get lonely in that crowd.

• 4 months later...

What we want to do is see the green monkeys in their natural habitat in the wild.....instead of a nature reserve.

We want to do this on our own via maybe a taxi or rental car.

Can anyone recommend to me where we can go, where we WILL see some without having to do a tour?

I totally forgot to post on here when I got back from my cruise

in January....:eek:

The Green Monkey excursion in Barbados was FABULOUS:D

Our Tour Guide was wonderful and not bad on the eyes either;)

I would definitely recommend this tour:)

Sorry, can't help you with doing it independently. I sail

solo and many of the tours are alot of fun and its a great way

for me to meet other folks as well:)

Archived