Piraeus Port To Athens Airport

Acrusa

We are on the July 7th Istanbul to Athens,Delta just changed our flight time from 1:25 pm to 10:35 AM. On our arrival into Greece on the 19TH.According to our itinerary on the Oceania web site ,we dock at 4:00 aM. I would think we would have pleanty of time to make our flight back to JFK.Hope I'm right.How far is it to the Athens airport.

Thanks

It does depend a lot on what time Immigration comes on board the ship. Being a 4am docking, I doubt if they will be on board before 7am and being in Greece, who knows when they will arrive.

Piraeus is about 20 minutes in good traffic from Athens and the airport is about 40 minutes to an hour on the other side of Athens. I actually think you are not leaving enough time to get your flight as these days you need at least 2-3 hours for check in at European airports for International flights and the traffic in Athens can be horrendous.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans but it is better to be safe than sorry and I would hate to be worrying whilst still on your cruise about getting off the ship so that you can catch your flight home.

Jennie

It does depend a lot on what time Immigration comes on board the ship. Being a 4am docking, I doubt if they will be on board before 7am and being in Greece, who knows when they will arrive.

Piraeus is about 20 minutes in good traffic from Athens and the airport is about 40 minutes to an hour on the other side of Athens. I actually think you are not leaving enough time to get your flight as these days you need at least 2-3 hours for check in at European airports for International flights and the traffic in Athens can be horrendous.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans but it is better to be safe than sorry and I would hate to be worrying whilst still on your cruise about getting off the ship so that you can catch your flight home.

Jennie

Think Ill have to stay an extra day in Athen's

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up about the flight time change. I'm on the same cruise, but we had planned to spend one night post cruise in Athens; now it appears to have been a good decision. Think you should be able to make your flight. They would get you off the ship by 7AM, and since it is Saturday, there shouldn't be much traffic. Maybe arrange for a cab to be ready at the pier that morning.

Seems Delta changed all the flights from 1:25 pm to 10:25 am 'cause we are booked on the 13 May flight from Athens. It would appear that Oceania is aware of this change - got a sched change from them - so it must be O.K. Probably just means leaving the ship earlier - make that much earlier!!! Looks like some of us will be getting up very early on arrival in Athens!

We were on the Athens to Atlanta flight at 1:25 in July - the airport was a zoo. We were under a heightened security alert that period as well. We left the ship at 8:30 am, there was a terrible car accident with lanes closed on the freeway and we arrived at the airport at 11 am.

Oceania was so organized that they had our luggage lined up for easy picking out on the curb and it was secured. We were allowed to check in at the first class line because of timing; we had to clear customs and get a VAT refund, we went through 3 security checks - one as we are used to to get into the airport and a second screening in the international terminal and one by hand check of luggage as well. We barely had time to sit for a few minutes before we boarded. We were surprisingly pleased with Oceania's airport transfer. There were only about 25 on the bus which sat 40 or more.

Acrusa,

That is one advantage of an early flight, though you will still have to be out at the airport at least 2-3 hours before the flight due to all the security etc. It does make flying so much harder these days.

Jennie

We figure that where packed and ready to get off the ship and get right home.

We live about 15 min. from JFK on the island,and that we will be home for dinner and maybe a good CB/Pastrami sandwich and a kinish LOL.

We live about 15 min. from JFK on the island, .

Acrusa - since you live near JFK - we have the Delta flight connecting to a Cathay flight that doesn't leave JFK till 11 pm, is there anything to do or see in the 5 or so hours we would be sitting at the airport????? Can we leave the airport or is it too risky to try to go anywhere and get back to go through all the security again???

Thanks

Cathi

Thanks, Acrusa. I hate the thought of 8 hours or so waiting in an airport!!! sure wish Delta hadn't changed the flight. Then it would have been only 5 hours. Sure hope there are some decent places to get something to eat. At least that can eat (LOL!!!) up some of the time!

Cathi,

I do feel for you. We had to wait over 8 hours on New Years Day in L.A. airport for a connecting flight to Miami after flying 13 hours from Hong Kong in 2006. It was the hardest day of our life.

Our flight arrived earlier than was scheduled, we could not get moved to an earlier flight to Miami because it was New Years Day and it was completely booked out, apparently that is the busiest day at L.A. airport. So instead of a 6 hours wait which we expected, it became an 8 hour one. It was hard after a very long flight to try and stay awake.

Jennie

I wonder if JFK has an in-airport hotel where we could get a day use room. Anyone know if they exist at JFK? We've used them in several airports where we have a long wait after a long flight and I really appreciate them. Nice to be able catch a quick hour or two and be able to grab a shower after flying 10 or 12 hours.

I wonder if JFK has an in-airport hotel where we could get a day use room. Anyone know if they exist at JFK? We've used them in several airports where we have a long wait after a long flight and I really appreciate them. Nice to be able catch a quick hour or two and be able to grab a shower after flying 10 or 12 hours.

OK here are some suggestions.There is no hotel in Kennedy ,but about 4 rband new hotels outside about 2 min away.Call the hotel to have a shuttle pick you up.

Next you can hire a guide to take you to Manhattan.If he meets you when you arrive its about 30 to 40 min into the city.Lets say you leave JGK at 3:30 Arrive in midtown at 4:15 the latest.You can have a 3 to 4 hr tour of the city.But make sure you leave yourself at least 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min to get back to Kennedy.

Anyother ? just ask

Archived