Airport connection question

re7777

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but this is the first time I am flying to another country w/ a connection (that I can remember).

I will be flying thru Miami. I know that I will need to clear customs when I return via Miami. However, my question is whether I will need to claim my bags and do something for my international flight connection in Miami. I don't think so, but I wanted to check. As it is, my flight is supposed to land at 9:45 and my connection is at 11:25 and all week it has been running 30 to 45 minutes late. Just trying to anticipate what I will need to do when I land and try to meet up with my connection.

Thanks. I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but figured I'd ask.

If you are flying on the same airline on both flights or if there are multiple airlines but they have an agreement and you booked it through one airline then they will check your bags through on your first flight so you will not have to worry about them until you arrive in South America. So, as soon as you land just go to your gate for your next flight.

You are correct. On your return back to the USA you go through customs at the first USA airport that you land at. Upon arrival you will claim your bags, go through customs and then check your bags back in for your next flight.

Keith

I had a feeling that was the case, but just had to check. I don't care if I miss my connection in Miami on my way home, since I have family in the area. It's on the way there I was worried about. Both legs are American/LAN Airlines, so I should be fine w/ them checking my bags all the way thru then.

Thanks!

Archived