Christmas & New Year cruises

cruzadict

We are thinking of booking the QM2 for Xmas and New Year 2008 leaving from Fort Lauderdale. As this will be the first time that we have been away from the family, 4 children and 9 grandchildren, could someone please let me know what the atmosphere is like over this period. We have decided on this ship as with it being British we thought that it would have a more traditional atmosphere. Are there carol services etc. Looking forward to some replies and would like to book it before long.

Marilyn

We are thinking of booking the QM2 for Xmas and New Year 2008 leaving from Fort Lauderdale. As this will be the first time that we have been away from the family, 4 children and 9 grandchildren, could someone please let me know what the atmosphere is like over this period. We have decided on this ship as with it being British we thought that it would have a more traditional atmosphere. Are there carol services etc. Looking forward to some replies and would like to book it before long.

Marilyn

we did just that last year the QM2 cruise was magnificent in every possible way the best cruise we ever had by far and was the 4th sailing with cunard

we have had many cruises and always wanted to do the 18 day xmas cruise with cunard but were hesitant due to missing the family for the holidays

Xmas morning we called home to wish every on a merry xmas on the telephone yes there were a few tears( cost $ 150 well worth it)

we were very glad that we did the xmas sailing even i couldnt find anything to complain about it was perfect

go enjoy we are sure you will find the same wonderfull experience that we had

bon voyage jim from new jersey

Thanks for the reply Jim, I know there will definately be tears from our cabin, mine of course. Hubby is far more realistic. Did they have carol concerts and midnight mass? Were there many children on the cruise? What was the foremat for Christmas Day, the itinerary for 2008 shows us as being at sea. Thanks for your help.

Marilyn (from wet and windy Wales, UK)

Matthew, Bah, Humbug! <G>

cruzadict,

While I have not sailed Cunard for Christmas, I have sailed HAL for the holidays, and read others' reports from last year, here on CC.

I am not a big holiday celebrant, thinking it has been way too commercialized, and would be happy to never hear "Grandma got run over by a reindeer again!"

What I found is that you have 24/7 holiday spirit, music, and decor. The QM2 was done up quite beautifully for Christmas (Find Penny's posts with the pictures of the decorations they had up on her Dec 2 sailing last year) Look for patwell's posts.

IIRC, last year, someone posted the Captain did a midnight mass. We have had discussions on here is there a mass said every day? The answer was yes. Christmas is certainly no exception, and I am certain is most beautifully done.

There was also Christmas Carol singing in the lobby/atrium last year (I don't remember this on my HAL trip, unless we missed it) People raved over how wonderful it was and the Christmas spirit. There were gifts and Santa for the children (also on HAL) Even though a British ship, the passengers are half Americans usually. And I think you will find the holidays very well celebrated. New Years, apparently there were several parties, in several locales (I think I remember on deck, G32 night club, and Queens Room. Likewise, QE2 had several parties going on at once..

I think you will have a marvelous time, with even more closeness among passengers than most cruises.

Book it. Have a wonderful time!

And I think they deliberately plan a sea day, both because everything is closed on most islands and tourist areas on the holiday and becasue of all of the wonderful things planned for the passengers. Believe me, if you have never seen Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas completely deserted and everything closed, it is a wonder to see! That is when you will see it! (Although I suspect more things would be open if a ship were scheduled in- Money is money, after all! I flew over there one year- on a DC3, at that!!)

Christmas dinner is generally something special and traditional.

I think someone posted a menu here somewhere, but darned if I know where!

Have a wonderful time!

Karie

Thanks for the reply Jim, I know there will definately be tears from our cabin, mine of course. Hubby is far more realistic. Did they have carol concerts and midnight mass? Were there many children on the cruise? What was the foremat for Christmas Day, the itinerary for 2008 shows us as being at sea. Thanks for your help.

Marilyn (from wet and windy Wales, UK)

marilyn:

yes they had carol concerts and carolling thru out the ship with dickens attire and yes there was midnight mass with everyone in thier finest attire tuxs and gowns. Magnificent decorations everywhere and ginger bread houses every where as well. yes there were some children on board all well behaved

p.s there is a reason the xmas/newyears cruise is the most expensive and its worth every penny!!

see karies thread above very accurate details for our cruises as well best regards jim

If you're going to miss the family then why on earth go?

I'm not sure that the Queen Mary 2 is British. Yes, she sails the Red Duster, but I think she is more of a foreigner's (in this case the USA) view of England.

My wife suggests that those worried about leaving the family shouldn't be so tight and take them with you......

Matthew

We sailed on her last year for the Christmas sail and will again in 2008. Beautiful decorations, lovely music, and the carol singing around the tree was so very international. Paper hats and noise makers which are unusual for us seemed to delight even the aged among us. Staid gentlemen in tuxedos wear paper hats. Well, I never. We wore ours also. So much staid.

We are off on QV World voyage in three short weeks. No paper hats this year, but can't wait for next year.

We sailed on her last year for the Christmas sail and will again in 2008. Beautiful decorations, lovely music, and the carol singing around the tree was so very international. Paper hats and noise makers which are unusual for us seemed to delight even the aged among us. Staid gentlemen in tuxedos wear paper hats. Well, I never. We wore ours also. So much staid.

We are off on QV World voyage in three short weeks. No paper hats this year, but can't wait for next year.

Unless Cunard have done something about the drawer space on QV, you may be reduced to paper clothes you can throw away. Never mind paper hats.:) Jane

Archived