My LAST NCL Cruise!

dvrdude

One more thing, when I post a review I always would start off by saying that we've never had a bad vacation and we are very laid back and easy to please. If my steak is similar to Outback's I'd be thrilled as I didn't have to buy it or cook it. People reading my review should then take into consideration that I'm a pretty darn content person and things would have to be pretty horrible for me to give a terrible review. If that's not your type of personality then certainly don't pay much attention. If on the other hand you're happy with a pina colada and a beach chair pretty much anywhere then take note.

This is just so not the case. In my Explorer review mentioned above, there were a number of things that I found less than "perfect." I just didn't carry on like it was the end of the world. I commented that the movie theater was very small and that there was no description of the movies being shown. I made the above comment about the fact that the desk personnel didn't seem to understand the public restroom situation. I commented that some people came into the (fixed-time) dining room as much as an hour late. I said some of the formal pictures were awful because people used busy backgrounds. As I said before, it's how you say it and how you respond when things are not exactly as you would want them to be.:)

Not one person commented that my report was negative. Many thanked me for it.

• Administrators
....with a completely positive review? There are pleanty of reviews and comments that say nothing but good things and the go without challenge-let alone a flame.

I would think the greater danger to the new reader would be an overly complimentary review.

The post after yours says something like "your comments would have been better recieved if you found at least one positive thing to say." Has anyone ever required a negative comment from an effusively positive poster?

Has anyone ever said something like "From your post it is obvious that you are too easy to please and you obviously set your standards too low and you put up with too much - I'm glad I'm not cruising with you."?

Sure seems like a double standard.

There are basically three kinds of reviews: 1) completely positive, 2) balanced (some positive, some negative -- overall they "seem" like a fair review and an attempt to give some helpful information in both directions), and 3) completely negative. The only kind that EVER generates pages of replies is the last category, and they frequently generate replies whose volume and tone are completely out of proportion to the actual usefulness of the information in the review to future travelers.

People who come to a message board to post about their vacation on a multi-million dollar cruise ship and STILL manage to make it sound like they were treated the entire time as if they were a flea on a rat on the Amistad, and that NOTHING positive or good happened during the entire cruise -- for "SOME" reason, those folks generate controversy. :rolleyes:

Do they mean to, as another thread recently suggested? Maybe so. But it doesn't take reading too many pages of any of the "big cruiseline" board threads here at CC to realize that a "tale of woe" will gin up much more interest than a balanced or positive review.

Petesweet, coming from a first time cruiser I'm not coming to this board to be "educated" as the people that are writing are just giving their opinions certainly not facts. I certainly read the reviews both the good and the bad but I can never say afterward that I've been educated about NCL. It's just all so subjective that you mostly just try to find reviews from people that seem to have similar personalities and those are the ones I take something from. My DH and I are very easy to please and enjoy every vacation we go on so I look for reviews from people that seem to have that same outlook. If I read a negative review from someone that seems very hard to please I certainly wouldn't feel I was educated by them. Maybe if they were stating the square footage of the cabin or what food was served in the dining room but certainly not if the cabin was "nice" or the "food" was terrible or good. It seems like NCL is a cruise line for people that have a laid back attitude and don't need everything perfect. If someone needs more attention or a near perfect cruise maybe they should consider another line.

I guess "educated" was the wrong word.:) I had in mind, though, questions and answers about specific things--not reviews. I have learned SO MUCH from these boards. Reviews are different. Sorry.

I guess "educated" was the wrong word.:) I had in mind, though, questions and answers about specific things--not reviews. I have learned SO MUCH from these boards. Reviews are different. Sorry.

I agree. Before my first cruise, I learned about:

Bar set-ups

HD email address

Upsells

Butlers/concierge for which suites

VIP boarding area.

Egg crates

Many have posted pictures, upon requests from posters...

etc., etc., etc.

Never heard anyone ask about a "Drink slinger" but NEVER saw any bartender "slinging" drinks:eek:

I too LEARNED much from these boards and am most appreciative:)

I agree. Before my first cruise, I learned about:

Bar set-ups

HD email address

Upsells

Butlers/concierge for which suites

VIP boarding area.

Egg crates

Many have posted pictures, upon requests from posters...

etc., etc., etc.

Never heard anyone ask about a "Drink slinger" but NEVER saw any bartender "slinging" drinks:eek:

I too LEARNED much from these boards and am most appreciative:)

I have to agree with Cosmo on this. I've also learned so much from reading these boards, and it has helped to make our cruise experiences so much fuller. There seem to be many well kept secrets that people are willing to share here.

Thank you to all of the helpful, informative posters.

....I do have one question for you, what do you mean by On board communications? I have never found this a problem. As for food, well that is far to subjective to touch with a 10 foot pole. Entertainment, again, this is a matter of opinion, after 20 plus cruises, all mass marketed lines but one, I have never sailed on a ship with better entertainment. Of course it isn't the same as Vegas or a New YOrk show, I don't think anyone expects this. I do think the Jean Ryan company does an excellant job even though sometimes the music is a bit to contempory for me. The comedians are par for cruise lines, the acrobats are fantastic and there are plenty of on board activities. Again, this is my opinion.

Nita

Hey Nita,

I posted some of Spirit's communication issues in my "fair and balanced" review of our Thanksgiving Cruise out of NOLA. Some of the things I mentioned were:

No communication on the optional formal night (what night what resturaunt).

No communication that at least two of the ports were on a different local time than the ship.

Cryptic and innacurate tendering information.

No communication as to which stairs to use for embarkation and debarkation in the various port of call.

Good deals for kids soda bracelt ($15/wk) not communicated (they push the backpack instead).

Photo shop prices and specials not posted.

I thought the big screens showing resturaunt wait times were a great idea, but thought the menus need to be posted on these screens from time to time so you can decide if the meal is worth the wait - this same info should be on the cabin TV.

On the topic of dining, there are fewer menu choices in the main dining rooms, so there are bound to more unhappy campers. Apparently you can order steak and potato every night, but this is not communicated either. To a degree, food is subjective, but this was a Thanksgivng cruise and the Turkey was BAD, Nita. It was processed and cold and the luke warm gravey was not warm enough cover it up. We sailed Thanksgiving previously on the Voyager OTS and there was a special Holiday menu that was a great souvenir and reminder of a great meal. NCL took the easy way out swapping Monday and Thursday's menu. We had done our "homework" and understood the Lobster dinner to be on Thursday (based on conversations with the resturaunt reservation staff) and went to Trattoria on Monday. So we missed Lobster night, despite our best effort to prevent it and it was because the resturaunts did not communicate with the reservations people. Was expecting Lobster for Thanksgiving and ended up with Cold Turkey. The Turkey was BAD Nita.

On the entertainment front, we thought the production performers were better than most we've seen. But there were few set and costume changes in the first show and no set changes in the second show. Maybe RCCL and CCL have spoiled us, but we expect the production shows to be, well, productions - even if they are centered around SUNY Purchase drop-outs. Our cruise had an accordian player as the headliner two nights out of seven. Thre accrobate family was nice. We liked them alot.

And it was BAD Turkey on Thanksgiving. I think we've had enough Turkey to set some fairly objective criteria on this fairly simple meal.

Hey Nita,

I posted some of Spirit's communication issues in my "fair and balanced" review of our Thanksgiving Cruise out of NOLA. Some of the things I mentioned were:

No communication on the optional formal night (what night what resturaunt).

No communication that at least two of the ports were on a different local time than the ship.

Cryptic and innacurate tendering information.

No communication as to which stairs to use for embarkation and debarkation in the various port of call.

Good deals for kids soda bracelt ($15/wk) not communicated (they push the backpack instead).

Photo shop prices and specials not posted.

I thought the big screens showing resturaunt wait times were a great idea, but thought the menus need to be posted on these screens from time to time so you can decide if the meal is worth the wait - this same info should be on the cabin TV.

On the topic of dining, there are fewer menu choices in the main dining rooms, so there are bound to more unhappy campers. Apparently you can order steak and potato every night, but this is not communicated either. To a degree, food is subjective, but this was a Thanksgivng cruise and the Turkey was BAD, Nita. It was processed and cold and the luke warm gravey was not warm enough cover it up. We sailed Thanksgiving previously on the Voyager OTS and there was a special Holiday menu that was a great souvenir and reminder of a great meal. NCL took the easy way out swapping Monday and Thursday's menu. We had done our "homework" and understood the Lobster dinner to be on Thursday (based on conversations with the resturaunt reservation staff) and went to Trattoria on Monday. So we missed Lobster night, despite our best effort to prevent it and it was because the resturaunts did not communicate with the reservations people. Was expecting Lobster for Thanksgiving and ended up with Cold Turkey. The Turkey was BAD Nita.

On the entertainment front, we thought the production performers were better than most we've seen. But there were few set and costume changes in the first show and no set changes in the second show. Maybe RCCL and CCL have spoiled us, but we expect the production shows to be, well, productions - even if they are centered around SUNY Purchase drop-outs. Our cruise had an accordian player as the headliner two nights out of seven. Thre accrobate family was nice. We liked them alot.

And it was BAD Turkey on Thanksgiving. I think we've had enough Turkey to set some fairly objective criteria on this fairly simple meal.

ok, you answered my questions, some of your wishes for communication, I feel are overboard, nice idea if we all lived in a dream world, but I haven't cruised on any line that communicates all the above. I totally agree about the steak, potato, salmon, etc. Of course it shoud be listed at the bottom of the menues like it used to be. I only know about it cause I asked on our last crusie. So many said the choices were no longer available that I needed to know for myself. My cousin had baked potato every night and I ordered special veggies 2 nights.

Thanks for replying.

Nita

ok, you answered my questions, some of your wishes for communication, I feel are overboard, nice idea if we all lived in a dream world, but I haven't cruised on any line that communicates all the above.

Nita

I was happy to answer your questions. Could you answer some of mine?

If the ship is on a different time than the port, is it important that this is communicated in the dailies, annoucements, and at the gangway?

If the "TIP of the DAY," on the top of the dailies, stays the same all week, isn't that the "Tip of the WEEK?

If you are trying to decide between two restraunts, is your only consideration wait time? Or does the menu matter? Do you think a crew of 1200+ has someone who can use powerpoint?

If the reservations staff is going to tell passengers what meals will be served what night, shouldn't that info be accurate?

If the cashier in the photo area knows there is a special based on the number of photos purchased, should he let the customer know about it before or after he rings them up?

If you are going to dock in Cozumel, should the information they give you on the port say you are going to tender?

If they say tender tickets will be available at 7am at the shore excursion desk, should they show up at 7:10 and distribute tickets at a station across the lobby?

If they advertise the kids backback, why can't they advertise the soda bracelet?

If they post a sign in the stairwell that says.. "Gangway \/" does that mean downstairs or straight ahead? As a followup question, if, after seeing that sign you go down one flight of stairs and see a sign that says "Gangway /\"... What does it mean?

And the Turkey was BAD, Nita. Nothing subjective about it.

I wish I knew how to address these issues by highlighting like some of you, but I cetainly am not computer liberate.

Bad turkey, I can't comment, I wasn't there, but if it was that god awful, why wouldn't others have commented, again food is so subjective. It may have been lousy, my question to you had to do with communication and not the quality of food. Would it have been better for them to post "lousy turkey today"?

The kids soda card not being posted, again, would it have been a good idea (for the cruise line?) probably, but certainly it would never be an issue with most people, same with the photo shop, which BTW is run by a contracting company and has little to do with NCL. This is true on all cruise lines.

Yes, the time issue should be noted, we ran into the same thing on HAL last year; why, they do this I do not know.

Tip of the day, isn't that a little bit of nit picking?

Tender versus docking in Cozumel or anyplace else? What difference does this really make? BTW normally you are advised the night before. Sometimes the docking versus tendering has to do with how many ships arrive at what time. I don't know the situation.

You can't be serious about the tender tickets being across the lobby, we aren't talking about across the street?

The gangway issue, I agree 100% with you.

The only reason I can imagine for wrong advise on the menu would be "they ran out" but that is pretty unlikely. Yes, you should be given the correct menu if you are choosing a dining room for the menu selection. Did you ask, what happened? I certainly would have asked, if I am expecting Lobster and the entrees consist of pork chops, hamburgers and tongue I think I would be rather upset. LOL

NIta

If the ship is on a different time than the port, is it important that this is communicated in the dailies, annoucements, and at the gangway?

This IS always communicated in the dailies, on YOUR PILLOW the night before, on live announcements and also at the gangway on every cruise I have ever been on.

If the "TIP of the DAY," on the top of the dailies, stays the same all week, isn't that the "Tip of the WEEK?

IS that a big detriment to your enjoyment of the week? Would it matter if it WAS the tip of the week instead?

If you are trying to decide between two restraunts, is your only consideration wait time? Or does the menu matter? Do you think a crew of 1200+ has someone who can use powerpoint?

The two main restaurants share the same menu each night. The menus are POSTED in the hallways in front of the entrances and can be viewed all afternoon long. It is not hard to stop as you are passing one of them to glance at the menu for the evening sometime during the day. The specialty restaurant menus are the same every night.

If the reservations staff is going to tell passengers what meals will be served what night, shouldn't that info be accurate?

Usually this information is accurate, however, these are POEPLE, they can sometimes get just as confused as you can as to which day it is and what will be served. I have never been given incorrect information but I can imagine that once in a while it might happen.

If the cashier in the photo area knows there is a special based on the number of photos purchased, should he let the customer know about it before or after he rings them up?

It might be a good idea to ASK as well.

If you are going to dock in Cozumel, should the information they give you on the port say you are going to tender?

This can change in Cozumel on a daily basis. It is a decision made by the port, and usually only 24 hours prior to arriving. On my cruise last week on the Sun we were supposed to tender, but we were pleasantly surprised (and informed in advance) that we would be docking, which is far better.

If they say tender tickets will be available at 7am at the shore excursion desk, should they show up at 7:10 and distribute tickets at a station across the lobby?

Are you serious? You actually had to cross the lobby? Heavens forbid.

If they advertise the kids backback, why can't they advertise the soda bracelet?

They do, and all you have to do is ask a bartender ANYWHERE on ship and they can tell you ALL the programs available for kids.

If they post a sign in the stairwell that says.. "Gangway \/" does that mean downstairs or straight ahead? As a followup question, if, after seeing that sign you go down one flight of stairs and see a sign that says "Gangway /\"... What does it mean?

If the sign is in front of a STAIRCASE, I would guess, being somewhat deductive, that it means down, and if it is in front of a HALLWAY, I would deduce it means to go forward. In any case, in 14 NCL cruises I have never need assistance in finding the gangway. The locations are announced verbally every ten minutes once the ship is cleared, as well as posted in your daily.

And the Turkey was BAD, Nita. Nothing subjective about it.

OK, so there were 3 or 4 other items on the menu, change your entree. Not a big deal. Ask your server for an alternative... there are always standard items you can order (like a grilled chicken breast or something) if nothign else on the menu appeals to you.

I wish I knew how to address these issues by highlighting like some of you, but I cetainly am not computer liberate.

I would be rather upset. LOL

NIta

I can't multi quote either (or spell check with my blackjack).

RE Bad turkey, many folks said the Turkey on the TXG cruise was bad. Check the thread I started on "promised review of NCLs first (SPIRIT) cruise out of NOLA". Or just about any other Spirit related thread since that cruise and you will find other folks joking about it.

I give on the soda card thing.

W/ respect to the Photo company NCL contracts with, you note that all the lines do this. I know, thats why I'm surprised it was so bad on the Spirit. We were going to do a Christmas card with them, but the guy didn't know the prices told DW to come back tomorrow (It was the last sea day).

The tender guy being late and then setting up shop someplace else almost resulted in a riot in the Atrium. There was quite a line and the back of the line tried to become the front of the line when the guy set up shop near the back of the line.

Since the tender ticket thing was such a cluster in Belize, I got up early for tickets in Cozumel only to find out we would dock. In NCL's defense, the Daily did say we would dock (in the middle of page 4), as they woman at the pursers desk pointed out to me instead of appologizing for the misprint in the first sentence of the first page of the port cut sheet.

With respect to the Lobster/Turkey thing. I will walk you through it. I go to the resturaunt reservations desk the first sea day to find out what night will be the best night to try the Italia place:

"I don't want to miss Lobster Night"

'Lobster is Thursdays'

"I would have thought they'd have Turkey for Thanksgiving"

'Turkey is on the Menu Tonight'

"Sounds like tonight would be a good night to make a reservation at the Trattoria.."

So we go to dinner at the Trattoria, (It was no where near as good as the Star three years ago) and realize along the way that "Photos with the Captain" means that its the optional formal night. The next morning, at the pool, we hear from folks that the Lobster was pretty good in the main dining room. So I was not surprised when the Turkey was on the menu Thanksgiving - seemed like a smart thing to do - just wish they would have told the reservations folks they were doing it. And it was BAD Turkey.

The reason I bring up the "tip of the day thing" is It seems like a good place to put things like:

Buy your kids a soda card for $15.

Tonight is optional formal night, Join the Captain for a Lobster dinner.

Pick up your tender tickets for Belieze at the port side of the lobby at 7am.

The gangway for port "so and so" will be on deck 4 and can be accessed most easily from the foward and central stairs.

Photo specials.....

We will Dock in COZUMEL.. Plan to get off the ship early as access to the pier is limited as other ships tie up.

Instead, every tip of the day reminded us to Sanitize our hands - which became very funny to us during the "fountains" show.

This IS always communicated in the dailies, on YOUR PILLOW the night before, on live announcements and also at the gangway on every cruise I have ever been on.

NOT ON THIS ONE, I doublechecked the dailies. It may have had something to do with it being the first cruise after a late daylight savings time.

IS that a big detriment to your enjoyment of the week? Would it matter if it WAS the tip of the week instead?

I EXPLAINED IN MY POST TO NITA

The two main restaurants share the same menu each night. The menus are POSTED in the hallways in front of the entrances and can be viewed all afternoon long. It is not hard to stop as you are passing one of them to glance at the menu for the evening sometime during the day. The specialty restaurant menus are the same every night.

IF YOU MAKE A RESERVATION FOR A RESTURAUNT ON DECK 12, ARE YOU REALLY GOING DOWN TO DECK 5 TO DOUBLE CHECK THE OTHER MENUS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TRUST THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO YOU?...KEEP IN MIND THAT BOTH OF THE MAIN RESTURANTS CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED BY TRAVELING DOWN TO THAT DECK AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE DOWN THERE.

Usually this information is accurate, however, these are POEPLE, they can sometimes get just as confused as you can as to which day it is and what will be served. I have never been given incorrect information but I can imagine that once in a while it might happen.

WE DOING SOMETHING DIFFERNET BECAUSE OF THANKSGIVING IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMMUNICATED (IMO).

It might be a good idea to ASK as well.

LOT OF GOOD THAT DID ME WHEN TRYING REAL HARD NOT TO MISS LOBSTER NIGHT.

This can change in Cozumel on a daily basis. It is a decision made by the port, and usually only 24 hours prior to arriving. On my cruise last week on the Sun we were supposed to tender, but we were pleasantly surprised (and informed in advance) that we would be docking, which is far better.

FINE THEN POST "WE DON'T KNOW. PREFFERABLY IN THE TIPS OF THE DAY SECTION." AS A POINT OF FACT NCL DID KNOW AND THEY GOT IT RIGHT IN THE DAILY. THEY PROBALY DIDN'T PROOF THE PORT CUT SHEET WHEN THEY REPRINTED FROM LAST WEEK.

Are you serious? You actually had to cross the lobby? Heavens forbid.

SEE MY REPLY TO NITA. IT ALMOST RESULTED IN A RIOT.

They do, and all you have to do is ask a bartender ANYWHERE on ship and they can tell you ALL the programs available for kids.

YES, BUT WE ALREADY HAD THE BACKBACK THAT INCLUDED THE SODA BRACELT.

If the sign is in front of a STAIRCASE, I would guess, being somewhat deductive, that it means down, and if it is in front of a HALLWAY, I would deduce it means to go forward. In any case, in 14 NCL cruises I have never need assistance in finding the gangway. The locations are announced verbally every ten minutes once the ship is cleared, as well as posted in your daily.

I WAS ON DECK 4 SO I PRETTY MUCH GOT OFF WHEN I WANTED TOO. BUT I DID HELP MANY PEOPLE WHO WERE CONFUSED BY THE NCL SIGNAGE.

OK, so there were 3 or 4 other items on the menu, change your entree. Not a big deal. Ask your server for an alternative... there are always standard items you can order (like a grilled chicken breast or something) if nothign else on the menu appeals to you.

IF WE KNEW THE ALTERNATE WAS AVAILABLE WE WOULD HAVE. ALTERNATES WERE NOT COMMUNICATED ON THE MENU OR BY THE WAITER WHO KNEW WE WERE DISSAPOINTED WITH OUR THANKSGIVING DINNER

My responses are imbedded in your quote IN caps. Please don't interpret the caps to be shouting, its just the best way for me to differentiate text on my Black Jack.

Hey Cliff, I did not say I had a bad time on my cruise. I was asked to elaborate on some things I thought could be better. Kindly step off your high horse.

all I can think of when I see this is the movie set in Baltimore after WW 2 when uncle Ben comes in complains about the traffic sees that they started the meal without him and says "they cut the turkey without me" repeats it and turns around and leaves.....

nealstuber, I tried to warn you.But you are doing a good job of defending yourself.Did you enjoy the cruise,where you just pointing out some things you didnt like or would you say the cruise was a total bust.I just dont understand why your comments would bother some people so much.There your expieriences and opinions.

all I can think of when I see this is the movie set in Baltimore after WW 2 when uncle Ben comes in complains about the traffic sees that they started the meal without him and says "they cut the turkey without me" repeats it and turns around and leaves.....

...we should have turned around and left. Came to find out there was much better Turkey at the Buffett.

None of this was a big deal for us, but I'm stuck on the Turkey thing because every time I see a food complaint, I see it answered with something like "subjective."

That may be so in most cases, but the standard for a good TXG dinner is pretty well understood. NCL charged a huge premium for this Thanksgivng cruise. The least they could do is put a little effort into Thanksgiving Dinner.

I can almost understand why the tip of the day was 'sanitize' every day... but I agree it wasn't much of a 'daily tip' after the first one. :)

I can tell you my experience with the kid's backpack/kid's soda card thing. Last year when we sailed on the Dream, I looked up what we could get for our daughter on the ncl website and it listed both the backpack and the drink bracelet. I bought the backpack, so I can't tell you what I would have found out about if I hadn't, but they didn't really seem to be promoting either on the ship. I remember choosing it because the difference in price between the bracelet alone or the backpack was, to me, worth the backpack and sunglasses and stuff because my daughter liked them so much. I hope yours liked the stuff at least! As I said, I had already bought one, and perhaps all the other parents had gotten theirs in advance also. All I can tell you is that in the one place I looked for the information, both were there. I did make a point to look though... next time ask if you can get the drink card separately - it's a good question on any ship or theme park or anywhere they sell similar things.

I sympathize about the tender line thing. That must have been a very upsetting situation. You get up early, go stand in line and ensure that you have a spot to hopefully guarantee the best tender time... and the tickets show up at th BACK of the line? I can understand how it could have gotten really UGLY, really FAST. I gather from your statement, though, that the front of the line got their place... I hope so!!

I'm looking at the conversation that you had regarding the turkey, and I can't help but wonder if the person you were speaking to celebrates American Thanksgiving. If not, while I'm sure all the crew were aware that it WAS Thanksgiving, they may not have been aware that traditionally that means 'turkey day', and so if someone hadn't specifically anticipated the question and made certain that she knew they would be serving turkey on Thanksgiving... she wouldn't have thought of it. If I were doing the job in a culture different from my own and someone asked me, I would just assume the menus stayed the same as they do for most of the year. :)

I'm a bit confused by your answer about the choices on the Thursday... surely turkey wasn't the ONLY thing on the menu that night?

Interesting about the restaurants and the menus. I've never been on a ship where you didn't just stroll by (or very close to) the main dining room numerous times a day. I understand the Star is like that, so I guess I'm going to get the opportunity! I actually would prefer to have it posted at the top of the stairs, though, than on the tv. I know it would never be on the screen long enough for me to decide... and I'd get frustrated waiting for it to show again!! :p As I said, I agree that they should have it more conveniently available.

Oh... the photo people. I've read more than one thread about these guys 'allowing' people to pay and THEN telling them something... but there are no refunds or exchanges so it's too late... I think that might be written in extra fine print at the bottom of your receipt... which you don't get until after you pay!! I'm very wary of professional photos anywhere like ships or theme parks, because they are always ridiculously expensive. So, I'm overly cautious all the time when it comes to deals. On our last cruise, my mother was aware that latitudes members get a discount near the end of the cruise, so we waited until then. Otherwise, they would have happily sold us one at a time at full price!! Then again, it's a business. I may wish they wanted to be more generous, but they're there to make a profit. It's a bit of a 'buyer beware' situation. The more questions the better!

I'm glad you didn't let these little annoyances (actually, the tender thing could have been much worse) interfere with your enjoyment of the cruise!! :)

nealstuber, I tried to warn you.But you are doing a good job of defending yourself.Did you enjoy the cruise,where you just pointing out some things you didnt like or would you say the cruise was a total bust.I just dont understand why your comments would bother some people so much.There your expieriences and opinions.

I posted a "Fair and Balanced Review" and gave the cruise 4 blue ribbons.

Ironically, I got into this by challenging the assertion that the only reason that OP was attacked was becuase he did not say anything positive.

I just wanted to go on record that I'm not trying to argue with Neal here. I'm just relating my experiences and perspectives for similar situations. I think everything Neal mentioned is legitimately annoying (or worse), and I appreciate him explaining it all while still acknowledging that he had a great trip.

I think a lot of what comes across as 'flaming' or 'defensive' is often more like shock... that the trivial thing someone is complaining about has 'ruined their trip'. Everyone continuously acknowledges that it's not so much about what you say as how you say it... To me, someone saying that there were some things they wish had been different but they didn't let it spoil their fun is honest. To say that not meeting your steward face to face and too many chilled soups on the menu made it the worst trip of your life and you are mortified to have been trapped on such a sorry excuse for a ship is entirely different. :) Okay... that might be slightly exaggerated... :p Hopefully you see my point!

I can almost understand why the tip of the day was 'sanitize' every day... but I agree it wasn't much of a 'daily tip' after the first one. :)

I can tell you my experience with the kid's backpack/kid's soda card thing. Last year when we sailed on the Dream, I looked up what we could get for our daughter on the ncl website and it listed both the backpack and the drink bracelet. I bought the backpack, so I can't tell you what I would have found out about if I hadn't, but they didn't really seem to be promoting either on the ship. I remember choosing it because the difference in price between the bracelet alone or the backpack was, to me, worth the backpack and sunglasses and stuff because my daughter liked them so much. I hope yours liked the stuff at least! As I said, I had already bought one, and perhaps all the other parents had gotten theirs in advance also. All I can tell you is that in the one place I looked for the information, both were there. I did make a point to look though... next time ask if you can get the drink card separately - it's a good question on any ship or theme park or anywhere they sell similar things.

I sympathize about the tender line thing. That must have been a very upsetting situation. You get up early, go stand in line and ensure that you have a spot to hopefully guarantee the best tender time... and the tickets show up at th BACK of the line? I can understand how it could have gotten really UGLY, really FAST. I gather from your statement, though, that the front of the line got their place... I hope so!!

I'm looking at the conversation that you had regarding the turkey, and I can't help but wonder if the person you were speaking to celebrates American Thanksgiving. If not, while I'm sure all the crew were aware that it WAS Thanksgiving, they may not have been aware that traditionally that means 'turkey day', and so if someone hadn't specifically anticipated the question and made certain that she knew they would be serving turkey on Thanksgiving... she wouldn't have thought of it. If I were doing the job in a culture different from my own and someone asked me, I would just assume the menus stayed the same as they do for most of the year. :)

I'm a bit confused by your answer about the choices on the Thursday... surely turkey wasn't the ONLY thing on the menu that night?

Interesting about the restaurants and the menus. I've never been on a ship where you didn't just stroll by (or very close to) the main dining room numerous times a day. I understand the Star is like that, so I guess I'm going to get the opportunity! I actually would prefer to have it posted at the top of the stairs, though, than on the tv. I know it would never be on the screen long enough for me to decide... and I'd get frustrated waiting for it to show again!! :p As I said, I agree that they should have it more conveniently available.

Oh... the photo people. I've read more than one thread about these guys 'allowing' people to pay and THEN telling them something... but there are no refunds or exchanges so it's too late... I think that might be written in extra fine print at the bottom of your receipt... which you don't get until after you pay!! I'm very wary of professional photos anywhere like ships or theme parks, because they are always ridiculously expensive. So, I'm overly cautious all the time when it comes to deals. On our last cruise, my mother was aware that latitudes members get a discount near the end of the cruise, so we waited until then. Otherwise, they would have happily sold us one at a time at full price!! Then again, it's a business. I may wish they wanted to be more generous, but they're there to make a profit. It's a bit of a 'buyer beware' situation. The more questions the better!

I'm glad you didn't let these little annoyances (actually, the tender thing could have been much worse) interfere with your enjoyment of the cruise!! :)

We did like the backpacks and we probably would have still bought them instead of the stand alone bracelet. We found ourselves explaining to a lot of people that, from our perspective, the backpack and the stuff in it was free as it was about the same price as a fountain card on CCL or RCCL.

One of the things that made this cruise fun for us was that the fantail was a good place for us to meet up with families our age. Some of them had "tweens" and the backpack was really not for them. These parents felt like they were had.

With respect to the "Lobsky-gate" I understood that the girl at restraunt reservations did not know about TXG. I think they should probably train all staff and crew to say "Hoppy Thanksgiving" to their American passengers and give them a 5 minute blurb on what, if anything, they are doing different to accomodate the holiday. This happened on our RCCL thanksgiving cruise.

The Monday and Thursday menus were swapped on our cruise to serve Turkey on Thursday. The Monday menu (which we saw on Thursday) is weak compared to the other days - it would have been a good night to try the Italian joint.

The thing about the photos did not happen to us. It happened to a very nice older gentlemen in line in front of us. We gave up on trying to do a Christmas card with them when they told us to "come back tomorrow" on the last full day. We put down the two $18.95 5x7 photos we were intending to purchase and walked out when we saw how they treated that man.

The tender line thing worked out because the folks at the front of the line scared the heck out out of the folks in the back. The ticket guy just stood there with a "its not my fault" look on his face.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise and wish you happy holidays.

One final thought on overly effusive reviews. I really talked up the Embassy Suites in my review of the Spirit. Our overall experience there was so positive that it seemed nit-picky to mention that the Valets do not know about the Sleep and sail deal. We had a few minutes of uncertainty from the time we parked till the time we checked in where we thought we were going to be paying $27/day for parking. By the time we got back, I had forgotten about this episode and did not mention it in the review. I have since recieved e-mails from two separate parties while they were on the ship. They were nervous that they would be charged $189 for parking on their return. I felt bad that I did not give "the bad" along with "the good."

We did like the backpacks and we probably would have still bought them instead of the stand alone bracelet. We found ourselves explaining to a lot of people that, from our perspective, the backpack and the stuff in it was free as it was about the same price as a fountain card on CCL or RCCL.

One of the things that made this cruise fun for us was that the fantail was a good place for us to meet up with families our age. Some of them had "tweens" and the backpack was really not for them. These parents felt like they were had.

With respect to the "Lobsky-gate" I understood that the girl at restraunt reservations did not know about TXG. I think they should probably train all staff and crew to say "Hoppy Thanksgiving" to their American passengers and give them a 5 minute blurb on what, if anything, they are doing different to accomodate the holiday. This happened on our RCCL Thanksgiving cruise.

The Monday and Thursday menus were swapped on our cruise to serve Turkey on Thursday. The Monday menu (which we saw on Thursday) is weak compared to the other days - it would have been a good night to try the Italian joint.

The thing about the photos did not happen to us. It happened to a very nice older gentlemen in line in front of us. We gave up on trying to do a Christmas card with them when they told us to "come back tomorrow" on the last full day. We put down the two $18.95 5x7 photos we were intending to purchase and walked out when we saw how they treated that man.

The tender line thing worked out because the folks at the front of the line scared the heck out out of the folks in the back. The ticket guy just stood there with a "its not my fault" look on his face.

I not Married to a power point presentation for menus. A menu by the screen would be a good start. I understand that all of the menus are posted on TV on some of NCL's newer ships. That would be best from our perspective.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise and wish you and you family happy holidays.

One final thought on overly effusive reviews. I really talked up the Embassy Suites in my review of the Spirit. Our overall experience there was so positive that it seemed nit-picky to mention that the Valets do not know about the Sleep and sail deal. We had a few minutes of uncertainty from the time we parked till the time we checked in where we thought we were going to be paying $27/day for parking. By the time we got back, I had forgotten about this episode and did not mention it in the review. I have since recieved e-mails from two separate parties while they were on the ship. They were nervous that they would be charged $189 for parking on their return. I felt bad that I did not give "the bad" along with "the good."

Archived