Can I talk money for a moment?? Help with upgrade..

jadexx

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

If you don't do a full suite for your honeymoon it could be something to look forward to for an anniversary! They are definately worth it for us since we spend a lot of time in our cabin, but I wouldn't put myself in debt for it!

We had a tiny oceanview cabin for our honeymoon, on the Nordic Empress (Royal Caribbean). It had its benefits...;)

Although I would upgrade to the mini, if money is tight, stick with the balcony. The cabins are quite nice, and since this is your first cruise, you'll have something even more exciting to look forward to.

My wife and I did a balcony for our honeymoon last April and loved it. She doesn't drink, so we opted not to pay for any of the special packages. We looked at and discussed ad nauseam about moving up to a minisuite for our trip this next april, but in the absence of a third party member, or having friends that would likely be joining us in the cabin (we're traveling as a lone couple, not a pair of couples or as a group) we opted to save the money of upgrading to a minisuite. Though, we did spend the extra hundred or so to book a BB category balcony on the Caribe deck (which has the larger balconies with a table, 2 chairs, and 2 loungers). This still allows one to comfortably eat on the balcony -though we did NOT do any of the dining or celebratory packages).

Depending on where your TA currently has you, it might be worth paying the extra little bit to move up to the BB or BA category balcony to get the extra space (assuming you're on the ships where BB/BA categories get larger balconies such as Star and Crown Princess). Enjoy and congratulations on the upcoming honeymoon!

I prefer the mini- We stayed in a mini on the Grand and then visited a balcony cabin on our last day. So we could really see and feel the difference between the 2 catagorys.

We are also going on CB in May. We appreciate the extra space since we do spend alot of time in our cabin just relaxing, and I prefer the bathtub to the shower. Especially since this is a 9 night cruise.

I also felt there was more storage space in the mini.

For myself, I relate this to being a moderate resort on land. I can't afford the deluxe, and don't like the values. So I always choose the moderates.

So maybe you can ask yourself what you would choose on a land hotel, and you will probably be happy with the same on the ship.

congratulations! I am sure you will have a wonderful time no matter what you select in the end.

Thank you all again for your help.. now I have another decision to make.

Im currently booked in a Balcony Guarantee, my TA states it will be a BD or higher.. I know absoultly nothing about room choice, and felt that with a guarantee I might get upgraded to a mini-suite and that was worth it. But now the more I think about rooms, the more I feel it might be better to know exactly what Im getting.

How are the BD rooms? As for Mini-suite vs Balcony room.. Id perfer a bigger balcony and smaller room.. Id perfer a party covered Balcony one I can get some sunlight. Knowing all this, where do you think I should be?

And just incase I can come up with the money for a full suite, are the balconys bigger as well or just the rooms?

Thanks again!!

Balcony size is more by deck level, not nessarily room category. The largest balconies are on the aft ~10 x 10 or Caribe deck, about 9 x 9. The mini suite balconies (Dolphin, Emerald) are about 9 x 7. The standard balconies are about 5 x 9 (Lido, Riviera, Aloha, Baja). The full suites are different, and there are a few odd extended or slanted balconies depending on ship and layout.

and felt that with a guarantee I might get upgraded to a mini-suite and that was worth it.
It is very very rare to get an upgrade out of the general category you are booked in; if you book a balcony GTY, you will in all likelihood be assigned a balcony cabin. If you care about balcony size or room location, book a specific cabin. If balcony size is more important to you than room size, book a BB or BA category on Caribe deck. Some of these are on Lido deck so be careful.

Archived