How Many Days Before Cruise Do You Pack?

kiraryker

Do any of you use those over the door shoe organizers for a cruise?? I haven't picked one up yet and I'm just debating if it is really necessary.

I do. But two of my last three cruises, my roomie has been a friend, and therefore we each brought all our own stuff; on the third, we had 3 in the room (me, my son & his g/f) so there was "our" stuff and "her" stuff. It was nice to have the room on the bathroom counter, and if I forgot to take something into the shower with me, it was very easy to open the door or curtain a wee bit and grab what I needed.

Regarding packing, I take a spare laundry basket, put it in the corner of my room, and toss trip-related items into it as I see them or think of them. The weekend before the trip, I make sure everything I want to take is clean. But I don't actually pack the suitcase until the night before I leave. Less time for everything to get wrinkled. I have a few packing cubes and they're a little helpful but not so much so that I'd go out of my way to acquire them.

I'm pretty much packed right now for my cruise 23 days from now. I have 13 changes of clothes, including formal stuff. Hopefully I don't add anymore! I have a huge overnight bag that stays packed with shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, mousse, etc. so that is always ready to go!

Wow, you guys are so organized. I'm normally a pack at 11 pm the night before person. But for ym upcoming cruise, I'll probably pack that morning since we're leaving from NY, and we'll be driving there, it's only about 30 mins without traffic. I wouldn't be able to pack early, I have both a dog and a cat, they get too upset when they see the suitcases come out. My dog will get into the suitcase and stare at me with her big eyes. And if I have clothes in there, the cat likes to pull them up and jumble up all my neat packing. But my dog, she's so sweet, she usually puts one of her small toys in the suitcase when we're not looking, we get to the destination and unpack only to find a soggy chew toy.

We leave in two weeks for our cruise. I'll start packing this weekend.

I have a cruise box under the bed that has snorkel stuff, walkies, water safes etc. Also have a dresser in the spare bedroom that holds all my swimsuits and cover-ups - in the bathroom I keep travel bags ready to go:

1st bag holds all my personal items like toothbrush, razor, hair stuff etc

2nd bag has OTC medicine, band-aids etc

3rd bag has contact solution, extra contacts etc

4th bag has all my face stuff - eye, face cream MU remover etc

These bags are always replenished when we return from a trip so all I have to do is put them in the suitcase.

As to make-up, I throw that in the night before we leave.

In my carry-on I always keep the travel alarm, book light etc so again, the basics are taken care of.

I have a "cruise bag" that we use while in port - I pack the suntan lotion, disposable camera, some band-aids etc in it so it's ready to go - first stop each cruise for me is the lido deck!

I try on all the outfits before packing them - if any require accessories/jewelry I find what I'm going to take and put them in plastic baggies and attach them to the hanger. When I think I'm finished packing I can then look at all the outfits, accessories/jewelry and see what can mix & match and decide on shoes.

Gee, after reading my post I think I'll start packing now LOL

Guess this sounds like alot, but it actually goes pretty quickly.

Do any of you use those over the door shoe organizers for a cruise?? I haven't picked one up yet and I'm just debating if it is really necessary.

It's not really necessary unless you have more than 2 people in your cabin....or if you're the type to bring along a dozen pair of shoes :)

I have found that the toiletry bag is the most time consuming part of packing, so many little things and one thing forgotten out of my makeup bag can make a difference. So, several years ago I started collecting "extras" for my makeup kit and now have all I need in the way of brushes, eyelash curlers, mirror, pencil sharpener for eyeliner/lipliner etc..., they are packed all the time. My stuff like shampoo/conditioner/body wash and first aid kit is in travel sized containers that get refilled when we get home, while we are unpacking and putting away. So, my toiletry/first aid kit is ready and waiting to go at a moments notice now, all I add is makeup of choice.

The clothes, I do the rolling rack with everything hung up on it, including accessories to go with each outfit, shoes and PJ's, bathing suits etc... are in folded piles underneath (no critters in our house). Jewelry is in small pouches tied to the hanger, a ziploc baggie would work. I have this stuff ready to go a couple of days prior to leaving and pack either the day before or the morning of if we are driving. The actual packing only takes a few minutes and I do it out of the bedroom, away from the closet so as not to be tempted to throw in any extras.

I used to pack way in advance and I found if I did I either would forget something or pack 2-3 of the same thing, forgetting that it was already packed. My current method is working well for me now as long as we don't get a cat or dog ;) .

Our trip is in 5 loong weeks - our clothes are in our spare room ready to pack - our important papers are together in one spot - we'll pull everything together a few days before. Then we'll put a before dod in our hand and look at old cruise pics and start our vacation a little early:D

Our trip is 2-10-08 and I have begun putting cruise items in our spare bedroom. There's a ledge in front of the window and I'm laying everything out there. I had to buy quite a bit of new stuff for the cruise, so when I get home from shopping I automatically go and put it in the stack to go. I know I am WAY early, but it's my first cruise and I am SO EXCITED!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also going on my frist cruise in alittle over 10 days from now. My formals are hanging in my spare bedroom and I have started to set aside stuff I want to wear. In my bathroom I have my first aid kit and a bag of stuff I see and think that needs to go I also have another bag of stuff to help me pack.

I like alot of others have to be wary of the cat he sometimes has a fit he knows I am leaving and becomes all lap cat which is good but he also likes at time to show his disapproval. I am guess I am lucky this time my husband is not going which is a bummer but that means the cat will act alittle more normal he seems to be able to tell if we are both leaving or just one what can I say he is a siamase.

I do have everything written down in a very detailed list that I will check off when I do the final packing which will be next week on Wed. after I have a dinner party at my house.

Anyone with a nervous cat should be careful! Just read one of the weirdest travel stories of 2007...a woman who owns a cat was packing for a transoceanic trip and before she closed up the suitcase, her cat apparently snuggled in without her knowledge. The cat jumped out at the other end of the lengthy trip...apparently in good health!

I don't pack more than a few days in advance as it just gives the clothes more time to get creases. But I try on clothes that have not been worn for a while to make sure of the fit. Also select all the proper underclothes for what I'll be wearing...don't want any surprises at the last minute.

My packing list is invaluable...everything that is on the list goes into the suitcase and gets checked off. If I'm interrupted during the packing process, I know exactly where to continue. The packing is easy once you figure out what you are bringing. My basic toiletries case is always stocked and I only throw in some last minute things.

My sis and I went to Alaska. She started packing a month ahead of time and kept watching the weather. Anytime the prediction changed, she unpacked and repacked either warmer or colder clothes.

I packed the morning we left. I was fine, she had clothes that were too warm. :cool:

Dh and I are going on our second cruise in April, this time I hope to get packed a few days before. On our first cruise it was our honeymoon and we got so busy with the wedding we had to pack after our wedding at like midnight Sat and leave for the airport at 4am. It was a little crazy, the only item we forgot was our camera charger which a bit inconvienent but not unbearable.

I am so impressed that most of you are so organized--but a little intimidated. Do you all change your clothes several times a day? I went on a land tour of the South Pacific years ago with a roommate who took five suitcases with her for a fifteen day trip--she changed at least four times a day. People, I don't have that many clothes! Do I need to go out and buy a ton of stuff for a 12-day Caribbean in February? I sure hope not--help?

I just started today packing for my first cruise which leaves on 1/19/08. I've been accumulating a "must pack" list for several months, adding things as I read the tips on the boards, but I finally decided it was time to put the plan into action. And thank goodness I did, because I realized that we could not fit everything (for DH and I) in the one suitcase and garment bag as planned. I have a bigger suitcase, but I'm afraid to use it with the weight restrictions. The solution we came up with is that DH will take a duffel bag as his carry on in which we'll put bathingsuits, some of his shorts, snorkel equipment, etc. My carry on includes reading material (I' an English teacher, and I am having difficulty narrowing it down to 4 books. Of course if DH brings books I want to read, I can always grab his! :D ) meds, sunglasses, etc. Will the airline let me bring on bottled water? Can I purchase it in the airport after passing through security? Also, is there any reason to need sneakers on a 7 day carribbean cruise? I'm bringing crocs, water shoes that are a bit like sneakers, casual sandels, and dressy sandels. We will be doing a great deal of walking, but I don't intend to visit the gym. This is the only problem with packing in advance; there's too much time to second guess packing decisions.

I've been putting together a list and I plan on doing the dress rack thing starting tomorrow. I'm trying to keep my clothes in two different color schemes so that things can coordinate. Um........I still don't have a suitcase though since ours were in our storage unit that burned :(

i'm leaving on january 18 to drive to our cruise port in south carolina and i just have my things hanging in the closet i'm gonna take i have been working on my toiletries bag getting stuff together buying last minute things for it like dramamine and sea bands i'm bringing both don't know if i'll get sea-sick:eek: never been on a cruise ship so i'm not sure we live on lake michigan and i've been on that in a little boat and have been fine and have been when the weather is bad and haven't gotten sick:eek: so just gonna be prepared i have a dog and she never worries when she sees the suitcase's thankfully she knows that she usually goes to her aunties house and gets spoiled rotten:D i'm so excited i can't hardly stand it maybe i'll go pack:D

Archived