Art Auction "Prizes"

joll

When is a prize not given to the winner? On board a cruise ship Art Auction!

Recently at an art auction on the Sapphire Princess, passengers attending were told to put their name and cabin no. into a barrel to go into the draw for a raffle prize at the end of the auction. My name was drawn out and I had the choice of 4 lithographs supposedly worth $200. When I went to collect my prize I was told they were not kept on board and that it would cost $50 USD to have it shipped from the US to Australia (other countries were more expensive). Needless to say I thought this was a bit suspect, a bit like the Nigerian Lottery scam or the US Bait and Switch scam which are illegal. My comments and complaints to the auctioneer were unsuccessful and I wrote a letter to the Customer Services Manager on board. He responded very quickly saying there was nothing he could do and that my letter would be forwarded to Head Office. Needless to say 2 months later I haven't heard any more.

I understand that if you buy art there is an additional cost for handling and shipping but a prize should be given out on the day. They are not framed and can be easily rolled into a cylinder. Or if they have to come from a warehouse the shipping should be gratis.

It makes me wonder if the the winners of the bottles of champagne that were handed out by the Captain at the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party had to pay $15 corkage fee to drink their prize at dinner. (I don't think so!!!)

Wait?! You are saying the art auction was not up front about it's prize and details. I. am. shocked. They absolutely do not appear to be some sort of shady snake oil consortium. And here you are accusing them of some kind of chicanery?! Shocked, I repeat shocked.;)

When is a prize not given to the winner? On board a cruise ship Art Auction!

Recently at an art auction on the Sapphire Princess, passengers attending were told to put their name and cabin no. into a barrel to go into the draw for a raffle prize at the end of the auction. My name was drawn out and I had the choice of 4 lithographs supposedly worth $200. When I went to collect my prize I was told they were not kept on board and that it would cost $50 USD to have it shipped from the US to Australia (other countries were more expensive). Needless to say I thought this was a bit suspect, a bit like the Nigerian Lottery scam or the US Bait and Switch scam which are illegal. My comments and complaints to the auctioneer were unsuccessful and I wrote a letter to the Customer Services Manager on board. He responded very quickly saying there was nothing he could do and that my letter would be forwarded to Head Office. Needless to say 2 months later I haven't heard any more.

My goodness -- next you will be telling me you didn't get a free diamond charm worth $250 when you visited the "recommended" jewelry stores, either? Where is the reputation for honesty of famous tourist traps the world over? I too am shocked.;)

We've won several of these prizes at the art auctions. Our shipping cost is only $20 as we live in the USA. However before we complete any paperwork we ask ourselves is it worth the shipping expense plus the additional expense of having it framed. In most cases probably not. The first couple of times we took the pictures and later ended up donating them to the Cancer Society to sell in one of their stores. However we did win 2 art pieces that we had framed that we absolutely love. At each auction the auctioneer has been very upfront regarding the shipping costs.

We've won several of these prizes at the art auctions. Our shipping cost is only $20 as we live in the USA. However before we complete any paperwork we ask ourselves is it worth the shipping expense plus the additional expense of having it framed. In most cases probably not. The first couple of times we took the pictures and later ended up donating them to the Cancer Society to sell in one of their stores. However we did win 2 art pieces that we had framed that we absolutely love. At each auction the auctioneer has been very upfront regarding the shipping costs.

I agree, the auctioneers spend quite a bit of time at the beginning of each auction going through the policies, including shipping. By the way, part of the reason its shipped to you rather than given to you on the ship is the duty issue, not just keeping stock. I go to the art auctions and have bought a few pieces, and I am not foolish enough to think I am getting the great bargain they say you are getting (although I have priced identical pieces on land and they are usually more expensive). If I like the piece, have a place for it at home, and I like the price, I buy it, if not I don't - that simple.

We have won a couple of these also and usually get to choose between the 3-4 pictures they have displayed. We have always just had them rolled up and we carry them off the ship. The one time we didn't, they didn't have the one we wanted and they shipped it to us, framed, for the inconvenience for no charge.

Just have to be carefull and listen to the specifics. On our last cruise my daughter won a framed $5.00 bill for $3 and carried if off the ship. She was very happy with her loot and the $15 frame she got for $3. This was the auctioneers way to get everyone involved in the bidding process.

Archived