Prinsendam post drydock...???

AWED23

Yeah. I'm gonna call BS as well...

The Prinsendam never would have been allowed to leave dry dock in that condition... by HAL or the dry dock facility...

Additionally, how would a passenger onboard know whether the ship diod or didn't pass the CG inspection? I really doubt the Capt. comes on and makes an announcement about it one way or the other...

Something doesn't add up...

Yeah. I'm gonna call BS as well...

The Prinsendam never would have been allowed to leave dry dock in that condition... by HAL or the dry dock facility...

Additionally, how would a passenger onboard know whether the ship diod or didn't pass the CG inspection? I really doubt the Capt. comes on and makes an announcement about it one way or the other...

Something doesn't add up...

Makes for interesting reading! If true, we haven't heard the end of it:rolleyes:

December 22

Prinsendam

Holland America LineFROM A PASSENGER: The ship was in dry dock for 21 days and they didn’t get everything done. I would say they got nothing done. The ship was late getting to Fort Lauderdale, they did not contact us to tell us it was over 12 hours late and then shoved us into the Westin near I 95. We could have delayed coming as we live in Southern FL but they assured it would just be an hour or so (we were there hours with bad, dried up, cold pasta as our “luncheon”). Lies, lies lies. We did not leave port until the next day! We got on the ship at 7 pm and there were staterooms and public areas devoid of furniture. The hallways on deck 5 and 6 were flooded for the first three days and several passengers have respiratory aliments. They still smell like indoor pools that have never been cleaned. The cabins on those decks are contaminated too. If you have to get out of the elevators on those decks, it hits you every time. They are painting pieces of the ship in the hallways (not the hallways themselves) and noxious fumes are everywhere. The ship did not pass its coast guard inspection and if it doesn’t pass it on January 3 the ship isn’t going anywhere.

Every day large areas of the ship have no working plumbing. The plumbers just drilled into the wall on the second day and flooded another deck. The lido swimming pool is still not filled but they finally filled the aft one, which you have to navigate past the gym equipment to get to. Since we left so late, they change the itinerary so that the first three days were at sea, with no pool at all. The air conditioning isn’t working right in the dining room and it is over 28C/ 80 F at dinner. And people are complaining about the food and the service. The same can be said about several staterooms. They are too hot or too cold. There is dust everywhere on the ship and in the cabins. When we put our clothes in the closet, they got covered with dust because the shelves and hanging bars were not washed down. There are queues of people at the front office howling for justice and relief, and the response is, “the cruise isn’t over yet, it will get better.” I thought how could it get any worse, but it has.

After all the time in dry dock you would think the ship was sanitized. But there are people coming down with Norwalk Virus. And tons of respiratory ailments. The ship has not offered a single dollar worth of credit. They have not offered to clean clothes for people who have placed them in dusty/dirty closets or sat on dirty outside chairs, nor have they offered to provide free of charge the medical care for those sickened by the moldy carpets and staterooms. The ship is on a 16 day cruise of the Eastern and Soutnern Caribbean.

Ahoy!

Nothing current / new posted but example of priors:

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD

PORT STATE INFORMATION EXCHANGE

Vessel Results for Vessel: PRINSENDAM

Vessel Information: Vessel VIN Hull Number Flag Call-Sign Year Built PRINSENDAM87002801246NETHERLANDSPBGH 1988Vessel Particulars: Service Length Breadth Depth Alternate VINs IMO Number Passenger (Inspected)669.3 ft94.8 ft105.9 ftCG021924, 8700280Service Information: Service Status Out of Service Date Last Removed from Service In ServiceN/AN/ATonnage Information: Deadweight Gross Tonnage(GRT) Net Tonnage(NRT) Gross Tonnage(GT ITC) 6150378451405437845Cargo Authority

Vessel Documents and Certifications: Document Agency Date Issued Expiration Date Classification DocumentLR May 30, 2002November 30, 2003ISM - Document Of ComplianceCHAMSMay 30, 2002May 30, 2003Tonnage Certificate, InternationalAN September 6, 2002Tonnage Certificate, InternationalNL September 6, 2002ISM - Safety Management CertificateAN September 24, 2002September 24, 2007ISM - Safety Management CertificateNL November 12, 2002September 24, 2007International Oil Pollution Prevention CertificateAN March 1, 2003November 30, 2003Load Line Certificate (Coastwise)NT March 1, 2003November 30, 2003Minimum Safe Manning DocumentNL November 30, 2003November 30, 2008International Load Line CertificateN/A November 30, 2003November 30, 2008Classification DocumentLR April 13, 2004November 29, 2008International Oil Pollution Prevention CertificateN/A June 4, 2004November 30, 2008SOLAS Passenger Ship Safety CertificateNL November 30, 2006November 30, 2007ISM - Document Of ComplianceLR April 17, 2007March 28, 2012</SPAN>

Summary of Coast Guard Contacts:

Case NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2922420STATEN ISLAND, NY May 4, 2007Vessel Inspection/PSCDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCausePollution Prevention/ResponsePrevention EquipmentDescription of DeficiencyExcessive oily waste in engine room bilge and sludge tanks full.Due DateResolvedResolved Date5/4/2007True5/4/2007Resolution DescriptionDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseFire FightingMeans of EscapeDescription of DeficiencyFire doors 511 and 706B did not close. 706B did not close while glass doors were in open position.Due DateResolvedResolved Date5/4/2007True5/4/2007Resolution DescriptionDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseLifesavingLifeboatDescription of DeficiencyLife boat tenders have numerous locations of hull damage.Due DateResolvedResolved Date5/4/2007True5/4/2007Resolution DescriptionDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseFire FightingMiscellaneous ItemsDescription of DeficiencyTwo flammable lockers with fire protection on aft mooring deck not on fire control plan.Due DateResolvedResolved Date5/4/2007True5/4/2007Resolution DescriptionCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2850510DANIA, FL January 5, 2007Boarding Case NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2849014Miami Beach, FL January 2, 2007Vessel Operational ControlCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2845113Miami Beach, FL December 22, 2006Vessel Operational ControlDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseEngineeringShafting/Propeller ArrangementsDescription of DeficiencyTemporary repairs made to shaft seal liner. LR required permanent repairs, meantime seal arrangement to be monitored by divers and reports submitted to LR.Due DateResolvedResolved Date12/23/2006FalseResolution DescriptionOperation Control Information:Category TypeControl TypeInitiating PortSafetyCOTP Order (Restriction of Operations)Sector MiamiDate ImoposedDate RemovedReason Imposed12/22/2006 8:17:00 PM12/23/2006 3:24:00 PMIdentified Hazardous/Unsafe ConditionCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2840337San Juan, PR December 5, 2006Vessel Inspection/PSCCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2829004Miami Beach, FL December 2, 2006Vessel Inspection/PSCDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseConstruction/LoadlineStructuresDescription of DeficiencyWatertight door 815-deck 4 cannot be closed. Door catching on threshold bolts. Prove proper operation of WTD.Due DateResolvedResolved Date12/5/2006True12/5/2006Resolution DescriptionDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseOperations/ManagementDrills/InstructionDescription of DeficiencyLifeboats were unable to be launched due to bunkering operations along side vessel. Conduct lifeboat drills at first US port.Due DateResolvedResolved Date12/5/2006True12/5/2006Resolution DescriptionCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2561555DANIA, FL January 4, 2006Boarding Case NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2559042Miami Beach, FL January 1, 2006Vessel Operational ControlOperation Control Information:Category TypeControl TypeInitiating PortSecurityCOTP Order (Delayed Entry/Awaiting Exam)Sector MiamiDate ImoposedDate RemovedReason Imposed1/1/2006 9:53:00 PM1/4/2006 11:16:00 AMSecurityCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2554812Christiansted, VI December 21, 2005Vessel Inspection/PSCCase NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2587067San Juan, PR November 28, 2005Transfer Monitor Case NumberUSCG Zone/PortIncident DateActivity TypeEnforcement DescriptionNature of Incident2538944Miami Beach, FL November 24, 2005Vessel Inspection/PSCDeficiency Information:SystemSubSystemCauseAccommodation/Occupational SafetyOccupational SafetyDescription of DeficiencyTailor storage of combustibles is above maximum allowable hieght.Due DateResolvedResolved Date12/8/2005True12/24/2005Resolution Description.....

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Ahoy!

I failed to include the web site where one can find current CG Certs on any vessel :

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Merry Christmas!

Santa:)

:D It would appear to me that everything aboard Prinsendam is AOK as per usual. The reports above are quite ordinary and routine as anyone who has been to sea as crew would know...Our USCG is very detailed in their inspections and the cruise lines in general respect and comply ASAP with their findings. Experience has taught me this. It would appear to me that the adverse review was "One of those...."...Perhaps we shall hear from someone aboard...Copper John is correct in that if things are as reported in that blog then we will hear a good deal more. thanks again Bob and a Merry Christmas to you and yours...Rob :)

I have had some confirmation from a staff officer that there were hot and cold water problems, leaks and that some of the bathrooms weren't finished.

:D Can you get us a more complete update on the conditions aboard?...Thanks for your postings. They are truly appreciated. Rob..:)

I have had some confirmation from a staff officer that there were hot and cold water problems, leaks and that some of the bathrooms weren't finished.

I too would appreciate any new information. My sister-in-law and her family are on the ship and we have not heard from them and are concerned if this is what they are facing. Thanks

We were on the 2005 world cruise on Prinsendam and that cruise was the first one following a drydock. For the first week or so, there were many cabins with A/C problems and hot/cold water problems. There were areas that didn't get finished during the drydock and the work continued as we cruised. Minor inconveniences? Yes. Disaster? Hardly! But we are happy that there is a "shakedown" cruise before we get onboard for 68 days Jan 3, 2008. I hope the post drydock problems were not too severe and quickly resolved. I know the crew would be doing everything they can to get the "Elegant Explorer" back in tiptop condition.

Grumpy...... You are soon off for another wonderful adventure!!

Will you be doing one of your 'from aboard' threads?

Happy New Year and

Bon Voyage.

Have a fantastic time.

Fair Winds and a Following Sea....

We were on the 2005 world cruise on Prinsendam and that cruise was the first one following a drydock. For the first week or so, there were many cabins with A/C problems and hot/cold water problems. There were areas that didn't get finished during the drydock and the work continued as we cruised. Minor inconveniences? Yes. Disaster? Hardly! But we are happy that there is a "shakedown" cruise before we get onboard for 68 days Jan 3, 2008. I hope the post drydock problems were not too severe and quickly resolved. I know the crew would be doing everything they can to get the "Elegant Explorer" back in tiptop condition.

Exactly! I wish all cruisers had your good attitude.

Exactly! I wish all cruisers had your good attitude. I also wish I was sailing with you next week!

Mr.Grumpy, which way are you heading/what's your itinerary?
Well, John, we leave Fort Lauderdale on Jan 3 and return to Fort Lauderdale 68 days later. Does that make it a Cruise to Nowhere?:D We will wander through the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, down the west coast of South America, dodge icebergs ( I hope we dodge them) in the Antartic, sail around the horn and up the East coast of SA to the Amazon, about 600 miles up the Amazon, back to the Caribbean, stop at Half Moon Cay and back home again.

Oh, yeah, we do make a couple of dozen stops along the way, including some overnights and 3 days in Rio

Hello,

Does anyone have new info on this cruise? My parents are on this and called me 2 days ago. At that time they reported many uphappy passengers. Bad food and not enough activities were the complaints they were hearing. I hope things have improved.

Hello,

Does anyone have new info on this cruise? My parents are on this and called me 2 days ago. At that time they reported many uphappy passengers. Bad food and not enough activities were the complaints they were hearing. I hope things have improved.

Did your parents mention water problems or hallway flooding? How about shipboard illness?

No, they didn't. They think people on cruises are pretty lucky and shouldn't be complaining for the most part. This is why I am getting very little news from them and was hoping that someone else may have more news. The fact that they told me some passengers were complaining of boredom probably says a lot.

Does anyone have more up to date info?

Archived