Tour Guide Recommendations

taegan

We went with Marva in April and there were 4 of us..2 adults and 2 kids. We asked to have a private tour and Marva was happy to do that for us. We were given a fantastic tour by her son Javia. He took us to DRF and tubing, then shopping!! What a great guy.

As far as the price, it was a bit more because we wanted to be alone, but I still think it was a real deal. We paid $60/adult and $50/child. This included admission into DRF and Tubing. Javia took care of everything for us. He treated us like royalty:D !!

I am looking at other cruise's or vacations to Jamaica so we can have him show us around some more!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used many guides in Ocho Rios, but there is one that I highly recommend… Richard Tucker. I have traveled across America, Europe, Africa and Australia…. And still, my day with Richard in Jamaica is my very favorite adventure…. because of HIM!!!!! Why???

I wanted a tour that just didn’t exist, and that was based on my obsession with Blue Mountain Coffee. No problem….. Richard took out a map and designed an adventure that went FAR beyond my wildest dreams. We traveled coastlines, toured cities, stopped for all sorts of food, fruit and special sites, and drove up the most impossible roads to the top of the Blue Mountains… where I was delighted to savor a cup of freshly hand roasted Blue Mountain coffee. The trip back was equally entertaining with stops at Bob Marley’s place and Hollywood in Kingston!!

BUT… another complication about the trip, I wanted to take my mother-in-law and aunt along, both of whom are “mature” and have difficulty with walking. No problem….. I tell you, every mother should experience the graciousness that Richard gave to my mother-in-law and aunt!!! He was so very kind, polite and assisted them with every step of the journey. Third issue, I have an insatiable thirst for information about the economics, politics, social structures and educational systems of countries. No problem…. When I am with a group tour, I do not feel free to ask questions, but since this was a private tour, poor Richard endured eight plus hours of constant questions from me. He was amazing!!! Not only did he have the information I was seeking, he discussed each topic I raised with a genuine keen interest, as if he was chatting with a long lost friend. He even introduced me to Cricket!! Our discussions were so very precious to me!!

Most importantly, Richard is just such a wonderful, gracious, kind person… a real gentleman. I just really can’t say enough good things about him. Not only would you have a good time, you could trust a teenage daughter or an elderly parent with his care!

Lastly…. But importantly, his driving skills are really spectacular!!! If you want a tour, or transport to an airport, or any part of the island, Richard will take very good care of you. To contact him, call 867.468.8747 or email his wife at beverleybailey@hotmail.com …. and by the way, the name of his company name is appropriately, “No Problem Bus Service.” ;-) I don’t know fees, since the fuel prices have gone up so drastically this past year, and I don’t want to give bad info. Tell him Janet says “Hi!”</SPAN>

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glady you had a wonderful tour with Mark. We just booked out group with him for January. If you don't mind what type of pricing is on the pottery? I'm not that familiar with pottery so wouldn't know a good deal if I saw it. I would just kinda like to know a price range of some of the pieces so I could share with the group.

I'm very interested in the prices as well. Anyone know?

Im seeing that Carnival goes into Montego Bay, and many including A-Z dont go to Dunns River from that port.

Also, Im assuming most dont include the price of admission into Dunn's River, how much extra does that cost??

One more question, can I bring a old pair of tennis shoes to walk up the falls with in a backpack? (or do I have to rent the water shoes they have there?)

thanks in advance

Hi all,

My family and I are stopping in Ocho Rios on our cruise January 2009. We are looking for a simple tour and I was thinking about DRF and then Margaritaville. I posted this in a different thread however, I have not received any information. I am looking for any comments about a tour group call ochoriostour.com and they have a trip that does exactly what I am looking for.

Has anyone ever used this tour group and if so, did you enjoy it and would you recommend it to a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids - 10 & 12).

Any input would be greatly appreciated:)

We used Ionie McBeam for our tour in Ocho. We did DRF, river tubing and then were dropped off at Margarittaville. Lewis , her husband, wanted to take us shopping but we declined. Our tour was 55 pp. We had a really good time and would highly recommend them.

Just returned last night our vacation. Our stop in Ocho Rios was great because of Marva Shaw! She took us to Dunn's River Falls, Tubing, shopping, a quick stop at a beach, then back to the ship. We had a great day and felt completely safe because we were with a respected local. Marva had a wonderful, clean, air conditioned van, stayed with our things at all times, and had terrific guides for us on the river. She also arranged a birthday surprise for one of our party. He had balloons tied to his chair where we stopped for lunch, a floral centerpiece in front of his plate, and a birthday cake! What fun. I highly recommend Marva to anyone.

I was in Ochos Rios last week, and had a fabulous day. We hired a private tour guide who geared our tour around our wishes and showed us a great time. We went to Fern Gulley, Bob Marley's home, a private waterfall, a primary school, and then shared a delicious lunch. Ken was very informative and funny, and I would highly recommend him. You can contact him directly at KenDaye000@hotmail.com.

I'm bringing a large group (80) with me and have read many excellent threads on tour guides but can anyone tell me of one that can handle the number of people that I will have with me.

Thanks

Our most wonder trip to Jamaica was because of MARK's TOURS of Jamaica. He and his group are the BEST. They gave you a complete tour with a personal touch. Best memories in ANY port.:D

mew1

I'm bringing a large group (80) with me and have read many excellent threads on tour guides but can anyone tell me of one that can handle the number of people that I will have with me.

Thanks

Before our itinerary on the Conquest was changed for the Cruisin' With the Crazies from Western Caribbean to the Bahamas I had been in contact with Marva Shaw. She said that she would customized tours for any number up to the 250 that are sailing with us. She should be able to handle your group nicely.

I've heard nothing but good things about her and her email responses were always prompt.

My wife and our 3 children would like to do Dunn's river falls and water tubing followed by lunch on the beach somewhere. We are an active family with 3 boys 13, 11, and 9. Looking for a tour guide to do a private tour with us. I would appreciate any recommendations for guides or place to eat. thanks

We were just in Jamaica at the end of June, using Carnival Cruise Lines. I booked a private tour through knowjamaica.com which is run by Marva Shaw. She was wonderful to work with prior to our arrival. She met us off the ship and introduced us to our tour guide, Michelle. We were taken to a very nice van. Our trip was customized for us and we had an absolutely fantastic time. Michelle's love of Jamaica was obvious and we would absolutely go back and use their services again. We also met Marva's son after our tubing ride and he was just as personable and enthusiastic as his mother and Michelle. What a wonderful group of people! They are making a good name for Jamaica where for us, everything was IRIE!

Before our itinerary on the Conquest was changed for the Cruisin' With the Crazies from Western Caribbean to the Bahamas I had been in contact with Marva Shaw. She said that she would customized tours for any number up to the 250 that are sailing with us. She should be able to handle your group nicely.

I've heard nothing but good things about her and her email responses were always prompt.

You are completly right;fast response from both Marva and Mark and both can handle the size of my group;now the big decision??? Both get great reviews.

That's awesome that Marva can handle the large crowd! We had such a wonderful time in Jamaica because of her and her warm, positive, welcoming attitude. Marva treated us like long lost friends instead of customers. I can't wait to see her again! (She's kept in touch with us since our tour - that says a LOT about her.)

That's awesome that Marva can handle the large crowd! We had such a wonderful time in Jamaica because of her and her warm, positive, welcoming attitude. Marva treated us like long lost friends instead of customers. I can't wait to see her again! (She's kept in touch with us since our tour - that says a LOT about her.)

Wow. You guys must have really hit it off. My experience was nothing compared to what you have described in your posts. That's great for you but not everyone should expect this kind of service. I don't want anyone to be disappointed when they don't also receive this kind of response.

Good point. :) From all the reviews I read (pre cruise) about Marva, she followed up quickly, usually called to confirm and answer pre-tour questions, then gave a great tour. Some reviews stated that she would call after the tour just to 'check in.' We were one of those groups who received the "outstanding" tour. I'm sure her business has picked up from Cruise Critic members (her name is mentioned SOOOO much more in the past year than it was before we cruised) and I can't imagine it is feasible for her to call every customer to follow up; however, I never expected it from her (or from any tour guide) and it was a pleasant and welcome addition to our tour.

In the very least, I hope you had a good experience with her tour or, if not, I hope you mentioned to her so she could improve upon what dissatisfied you.

Good point. :) From all the reviews I read (pre cruise) about Marva, she followed up quickly, usually called to confirm and answer pre-tour questions, then gave a great tour. Some reviews stated that she would call after the tour just to 'check in.' We were one of those groups who received the "outstanding" tour. I'm sure her business has picked up from Cruise Critic members (her name is mentioned SOOOO much more in the past year than it was before we cruised) and I can't imagine it is feasible for her to call every customer to follow up; however, I never expected it from her (or from any tour guide) and it was a pleasant and welcome addition to our tour.

In the very least, I hope you had a good experience with her tour or, if not, I hope you mentioned to her so she could improve upon what dissatisfied you.

Actually our day in Jamaica was a disaster (and yes it was directly in the hands of J). I couldn't mention it to her until after we got home due to the circumstances. I did receive what I believe was a sincere apology. I'm not here to bash Marva or her crew. I just wanted to point out that not everyone receives that kind of personal touch. I didn't want someone looking for recommendations to build up unrealistic expectations and then be disappointed when it wasn't delivered. I'm actually undecided about whether I'd use them again. I'm thinking I'd probably give them another chance but I'm almost positive my dh would throw me overboard once he found out. :eek:

Actually our day in Jamaica was a disaster (and yes it was directly in the hands of J). I couldn't mention it to her until after we got home due to the circumstances. I did receive what I believe was a sincere apology. I'm not here to bash Marva or her crew. I just wanted to point out that not everyone receives that kind of personal touch. I didn't want someone looking for recommendations to build up unrealistic expectations and then be disappointed when it wasn't delivered. I'm actually undecided about whether I'd use them again. I'm thinking I'd probably give them another chance but I'm almost positive my dh would throw me overboard once he found out. :eek:

I take it J is her son.

I don't think I'll be using her; she sounded a little iffy(unsure of herself) to large groups but haven't made a firm decision yet; was very quick to respondd and pleasant enough and eager to please.

That's too bad and so disappointing. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience - it can be a big damper on your vacation. :( At least you let Marva know so she can fix the problem(s) you had (hopefully!).

I've booked a tour for 22 with Mark Morris for August 1. My father-in-law will be using a scooter (he's 86) and Mr. Morris has assured me that this will be no problem. We have ages ranging from 11-86 in our group, so I'm hoping he'll be able to provide something for everyone. He has been very prompt and accomodating in his e-mail responses to me. So far, I am very impressed. I will post again when we get home (we're sailing on the Triumph out of Miami on the 27th) and let everyone know how the tour goes.

I've booked a tour for 22 with Mark Morris for August 1. My father-in-law will be using a scooter (he's 86) and Mr. Morris has assured me that this will be no problem. We have ages ranging from 11-86 in our group, so I'm hoping he'll be able to provide something for everyone. He has been very prompt and accomodating in his e-mail responses to me. So far, I am very impressed. I will post again when we get home (we're sailing on the Triumph out of Miami on the 27th) and let everyone know how the tour goes.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you booked any other private tour operators?

If you need some other suggestions, I have used many and would be glad to share a few names if I knew which ports you were interested in.

Archived