Air booked with RC question

Bethee99

For my cruise in July I booked by air through Royal Caribbean. Usually I do my own air but when I was looking up prices it was actually cheaper plus you get the added bonus of transportation. Anyways, I will be going from Los Angeles to London. I'm a little nervous about not knowing any details about my flight until 60 days before especially since with the time change it will be like a 24 hour deal. Has anyone done air through RC? Will they put me on a non stop or will I likely have a few stops on the way? I just hope I don't get a flight at some awful hour that stops several times. Can anyone put my mind at rest or should a get custom air?

thanks

They will put you on whatever is least expensive for them when they book your flights. It could be the nonstop with good flight times, but it is just as likely to be the multistop flight with the not so great times. If you really care about your flight times, then do custom air.

Unless you do custom air you are at the mercy of whatever flights and/or times they want to put you on. You could be direct or have 5 stops, there is no way of knowing unless you do custom. I would NEVER allow the cruiseline to make those decisions for me. I am going to London for cruise next year also and I made all my own reservations using sidestep.com

For my cruise in July I booked by air through Royal Caribbean. Usually I do my own air but when I was looking up prices it was actually cheaper plus you get the added bonus of transportation. Anyways, I will be going from Los Angeles to London. I'm a little nervous about not knowing any details about my flight until 60 days before especially since with the time change it will be like a 24 hour deal. Has anyone done air through RC? Will they put me on a non stop or will I likely have a few stops on the way? I just hope I don't get a flight at some awful hour that stops several times. Can anyone put my mind at rest or should a get custom air?

thanks

If I were you and I found a flight I really wanted, I would definitely check out their custom air. If you are platinum or higher the fee will be waived and if you haven't reached that level it might still be worth $50 or $75 per person to know months ahead of time what your flight schedule will be. It is definitely worth investigating, especially if you don't want to take a chance on getting less than optimal flight arrangements. We have used custom air to guarantee our flights from Boston to London in the past and have been very happy with it, so much so that, unless we can find a fantastic fare, we will use it again.:)

Absolutely consider doing Custom Air. If the fee is not waived for you, it is well worth paying it.

On our upcoming b2b cruises next March & April I did extensive research using bookingbuddy.com and found the flights that I wanted, but never thought that RCI would approve them since our airfare allowance was only $1400pp and the flights I found were a lot more both on the internet and through the airlines. These were international flights. I gave the flights I wanted to our TA..........she faxed them to RCI.......they were booked and we had our seat assignments.

We booked these flights the end of April for our March & April 2008 cruises..............so if you are doing a cruise next July..........I would research now and then request them through RCI as soon as possible. You can book flights 9 to 11 months in advance and get your seat assignments also. If you are booked directly with RCI you can call the Air/Sea Dept. direct. If you have booked with a TA, then the TA must go to bat for you.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

custom, custom, custom, custom. And then, check those flights at least every other day to be sure they are still as you booked them. I had a very bad experience with RCCL even with a custom flight booking. The airline changed the routing, RCCL never notified the TA and I had a terrible booking which I only learned about when I got my docs. Eleven hours of arguing later, all was righted, but who in their right mind would want to go through that?

cruisenfever (Patti) and negc (Bill) are absolutely right. Hope you qualify for free custom air but, if not, check it out anyway. It just might be worth it to get the flights you want.

We're doing a b2b in August/September flying from LAX/London and then Boston/LAX. We checked air on our own and the price, for open jaw flights, was waaaaaay more than RCI's price. Like Patti, I did my research and had several flights that we would consider when air bookings became available in early October.

Through RCI Custom Air we were able to get non-stop LAX/London and non-stop Boston/LAX for no additional $$$. We are eligible for complimentary custom air but I would have gladly paid the custom air fee to get the flights we wanted and to know, in advance, what our flights will be. As soon as RCI gave me the booking #'s I went to the airline website and picked out our seats.................This also reassured me that we truly did have the flights I wanted. :)

Good luck...............

cruisenfever (Patti) and negc (Bill) are absolutely right. Hope you qualify for free custom air but, if not, check it out anyway. It just might be worth it to get the flights you want.

We're doing a b2b in August/September flying from LAX/London and then Boston/LAX. We checked air on our own and the price, for open jaw flights, was waaaaaay more than RCI's price. Like Patti, I did my research and had several flights that we would consider when air bookings became available in early October.

Through RCI Custom Air we were able to get non-stop LAX/London and non-stop Boston/LAX for no additional $$$. We are eligible for complimentary custom air but I would have gladly paid the custom air fee to get the flights we wanted and to know, in advance, what our flights will be. As soon as RCI gave me the booking #'s I went to the airline website and picked out our seats.................This also reassured me that we truly did have the flights I wanted. :)

Good luck...............

Hi Sue, I'm so glad that you got your air arrangements all sorted out for next year. I think flight arrangements are the most stressful part of planning a cruise, especially when you are talking international.

FYI to all those that do use RCI custom air............once you have gotten your confirmation number............check your flight on a weekly basis on the airlines website. When you book so far in advance, there might be an equipment change, you might find a better seat selection and there are always schedule changes regarding departure and arrival times.

Hi Sue, I'm so glad that you got your air arrangements all sorted out for next year. I think flight arrangements are the most stressful part of planning a cruise, especially when you are talking international.

FYI to all those that do use RCI custom air............once you have gotten your confirmation number............check your flight on a weekly basis on the airlines website. When you book so far in advance, there might be an equipment change, you might find a better seat selection and there are always schedule changes regarding departure and arrival times.

Hi Patti - you're so right. The flight arrangements were a big stressor for this cruise and we were so glad when all the pieces were finally in place..........and even happier that we got what we wanted. I do check every couple of weeks and will do so until it's flight time. That's great advice whether you're cruising or doing a land trip. You just never know what might happen with the airlines.

A little OT...........Did you see MAXjet filed for bankruptcy on Christmas Eve? Many are stranded on both sides of the pond...........and I know it's not easy to just find another flight during the holidays.....

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm only gold but I will pay the extra and get custom. So do I just pick a flight and tell them which one I want? Since the port is so far from the airport I should probably try to get into London by like 8-10am right?

Suzy- since you are coming and going to the same spot what airline did you book with and when do you plan to get into London. You are probably on the same cruise just a few weeks after us.

thanks again

We are going to London 3 days pre-cruise and flying on American Airlines. We booked air/hotel/transfers through the cruiseline and will be staying at the City Inn - Westminster in London. We're doing a b2b on the Jewel to the Baltics, then staying on for the Transatlantic back to Boston.

What cruise are you doing?

From what I've read the port is 2-3 hours from the airport. There's alot of good information on how to get from the airport to the port (if you do your own air) on Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic > Ports of Call > Europe navbits_finallink.gif British Isles/Western Europe

There are several good online resources to find out what flights are available. One I like is http://www.vayama.com/jsp/home/home.jsp

I had more than one flight that I would consider when we booked Custom Air. That way if my first choice wasn't available I was ready with another.

Good luck!! :)

Hi Patti - you're so right. The flight arrangements were a big stressor for this cruise and we were so glad when all the pieces were finally in place..........and even happier that we got what we wanted. I do check every couple of weeks and will do so until it's flight time. That's great advice whether you're cruising or doing a land trip. You just never know what might happen with the airlines.

A little OT...........Did you see MAXjet filed for bankruptcy on Christmas Eve? Many are stranded on both sides of the pond...........and I know it's not easy to just find another flight during the holidays.....

Yes I saw that. Chris and Martha wanted to use MAXjet for your cruise next September. Funny how things change.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm only gold but I will pay the extra and get custom. So do I just pick a flight and tell them which one I want? Since the port is so far from the airport I should probably try to get into London by like 8-10am right?

thanks again

Beth, my suggestion to you is.........know what your air allowance is for your cruise. Then go on the internet. I use http://www.bookingbuddy.com because you can put the dates in and then all the different services are available............just click on each one and see what is offered.

Pick out the flights that are most appealing to you and request them. I would also suggest that you pick out at least 2-3 different flight choices so you have several options to work with.

OK thanks. I have been looking up flights. How does the transportation/hotel work? Is the City Inn a nice hotel? We are now going to go a few days early. We had a problem with the weather on our last cruise and one of our flights was delayed causing us to miss our connection. Had we not gone a day early we would have missed our cruise. So going a few days early is actually a really good idea.

We are also going on the Jewel for a Baltics cruise but in July. So where in Southern Ca are you? we are in Orange County.

Thanks again

OK, I just called about hotel pre stay and for the cheaper 2 day plan they wanted $520 per person. That would be $1040 for two days in a hotel! Isn't that kind of a lot? Does that include something besides the transfers?

OK, I just called about hotel pre stay and for the cheaper 2 day plan they wanted $520 per person. That would be $1040 for two days in a hotel! Isn't that kind of a lot? Does that include something besides the transfers?

That is a lot, but prices for everything in London, and much of Europe, are very high. $300 or $400 + a night for a hotel room is not unusual and when you include the cost of transportation to the hotel from the airport, plus from the hotel to the ship (which is probably a two hour or more bus ride from London) and from the ship to the airport at the end of the cruise, that price may not be out of line. To check it out, look up the City Inn on the web and see what it would cost you to book it on your own, then price transfers between the various locations. If there is a significant difference, book everything on your own, but remember that convenience and one-stop shopping has a value and make make that extra cost worth your while.

I know people who have stayed at the City Inn Westminster in the past and they gave it good reviews. Good luck and enjoy your cruises.:)

OK everything is booked now. Custom air and 3 day hotel stay. The City Inn was full so we are at the Grosvenor House. Thanks for all the help. I have just one more question. I would call RCI but I have called them so many times they probably all know me really well.

How do we get our plane tickets now? Will they mail them or are they e-tickets?

Usually these days it is e-tickets on almost all airlines.

Also, you may want to call custom air back (I know, I know you've already called multiple times:p ) and ask for the 6 digit PNR number for your flight. Once you've done that, you can contact your airline and get seat assignments - they don't do seat assignments for you. Some airlines don't do advance seat assignments, but even if you can't get seat assignments, you can use the PNR number to monitor your reservation for things like schedule changes, etc.

OK everything is booked now. Custom air and 3 day hotel stay. The City Inn was full so we are at the Grosvenor House. Thanks for all the help. I have just one more question. I would call RCI but I have called them so many times they probably all know me really well.

How do we get our plane tickets now? Will they mail them or are they e-tickets?

They are probably e-tickets, but if I were you, I would call the airline and check. If you have your record locater, you can do this online. At the same time, select your seats, and check your reservations occasionally to make sure the airline hasn't made any schedule changes. They should notify you if they do, but they can't always be depended upon to do so.:)

Usually these days it is e-tickets on almost all airlines.

Also, you may want to call custom air back (I know, I know you've already called multiple times:p ) and ask for the 6 digit PNR number for your flight. Once you've done that, you can contact your airline and get seat assignments - they don't do seat assignments for you. Some airlines don't do advance seat assignments, but even if you can't get seat assignments, you can use the PNR number to monitor your reservation for things like schedule changes, etc.

Hi Wrona, I guess that great minds think alike. LOL

Hi Wrona, I guess that great minds think alike. LOL

Of course they do!:D Oh and thanks for the reminder. It's time for my daily check of my airline reservations to make sure there are no more changes.

Seat Assignments.............ROFL LOL...........let me tell you about our upcoming cruise to SA where there are 10 of us that are on the same flight and we all did Custom Air.

As each of us booked, we were assigned to the same two seats in the back of the plane. When the first two people were assigned those seats they called the airlines and had them changed. Then came the next two people and the same thing happened....and so on. Those two seats must be very popular as they were right next to Mr. John.:(

Coming home, RCI again assigned our seats............however this time they started at the front of the plane and we were very happy with their seat selection.

So, my advise is...........for international flights..........check immediately after your air has been booked to see if seats have been assigned already.

thanks

Not from a Royal Caribbean prospective, but I think most of the time an intercontinenal flight usually stops on the East Coast before heading across the Atlantic regardless to top off and such. Your times might be rough. You'll be okay. (Dont the trip over the Atlantic way too many times, NOT to cruise.)

Of course they do!:D Oh and thanks for the reminder. It's time for my daily check of my airline reservations to make sure there are no more changes.

Good idea. We recently found out that when the flight number on the Boston to Miami leg of our Santo Domingo flight in February changed (only the number, not the times etc.) we went from having assigned seats to "unassigned" and when I looked at the seating chart the only ones showing as available were all middle seats.:( We have checked regularly ever since and yesterday found two window seats about six rows apart and have moved to those. We plan to arrive at the airport as early as possible (our flight is at 5:30 am:rolleyes:) and see if something better is available when we check in.

We have checked regularly ever since and yesterday found two window seats about six rows apart and have moved to those.
I was checking weekly but when we had a major schedule change on our flights to Maui, by the time I caught it, all the first class seats on the better flights were taken. So now, we have to fly out the night before and overnight at DFW on the way out, in order to get to Maui at a decent time. I check daily now to make sure there are no other little surprises.

Archived