Would like to hear experience on Amadeus Royal Danube River Cruise.

travelbug2225

We are going to be on Amadeus Royal, Nuremberg to Budapest on March 23. We purchase the package from Gate 1 travel. I would like to hear the experience from anybody who done the Danube River cruise on Amadeus Royal or similar cruise from Gate 1. I never cruise before, so I really don't know what to expect.

DH and I just got back two weeks ago. We did the Christmas Markets along the the Danube on the Amadeus Amalegro. I've tried 2 different times to write a review, but each time the content was completely lost and I received a message saying I wasn't logged in or allowed to post...which is rubbish because I could look up and see I was logged in. Anyway, we enjoyed our time. The ship was nice, food was sometimes great and sometimes just ok, the service was outstanding, and I overall greatly enjoyed the experience. I would recommend Amadeus and look forward to cruising with this line again in the future. (We are not "hard core" cruisers...this was our third cruise, and first ever on a small river-ship. I'm now a convert...I don't care if I ever do a big ocean ship again!)

Gr´aunt,

The AMADEUS ROYAL is owned and operated by the Austrian cruise company Lueftner. Gate1 has chartered this ship for the 2008 season. And therefore, travelbug2225, you won´t find any reviews of this ship. Try a search for the MS BOLERO which Gate1 used this year.

The AMADEUS AMALEGRO is operated by Amadeus Waterways, a US cruise company. To make it even more confusing, Amadeus Waterways´ first ship the AMADEUS SYMPHONY is also a Lueftner ship and was chartered by Amadeus Waterways for their first season when they still didn´t have an own ship.

steamboats

Hello,

We have been considering this river cruise for quite some time and I am so happy someone will be able to report the pros and cons - little ship/river vs big ship/ocean. We have done 16 cruises and are looking for something different.

We were also curious as to which is the best way to see Europe, via land excursion or the river cruise.

Keep us posted.

Curious from Ohio

Margie and John

shipmateforlife and seabee,

I will definitely write the review when I come back. If you decide to do the pre or post cruise it is much cheaper that you book hotel by yourself. I save about $1000 on the same package by using TA to book the cruise (price is about $100/couple cheaper than book direct on Gate 1 website) and got my hotel from priceline. I got the exact same hotel (Hilton) as Gate 1 use.

Out of curiosity, I try to book the exact same package on Gate 1 website by choose the Hilton for my pre-cruise in Prague ($261.00 more for Hilton compare to Marriott). Then, I compare with the price I paid and it come out $1000.00 cheaper.

The only different is if you book the hotel with them, it will included the transfer from Prague to Nuremberg. But for $1000.00 cheaper, I think I should be able to find my way to Nuremberg with the help for people on this website such as Steamboat and other member :D.

Hi Cobaltblue,

Wow! I'm so excited to know that you are going on the same cruise. I probably going to be the youngest one on this cruise. Please feel free to come in and introduce yourself to me. Are you plan to do any pre or post curise?

My husband and I really looking forward to meet you. This is our first cruise ever. We are so excited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived