Mariner Room Dilema - Help!

Hi everyone,

I am so confused! :eek: I've been searching threads all morning to gather more info between the two, but am confusing myself even more.

I need help from the experts please!

I am leaving in a few weeks and have a choice between two cabins on the Mariner. If you have stayed in either of these (or something similar) I would appreciate any feedback.

We will probably spend a good deal of time on our balcony.

Room #1 - Category D1 - stateroom #8363 towards back of the ship - 206 sq ft (a little bigger) Price - $80 cheaper

Room #2 - Category E2 - Stateroom #6316 towards the center of the hump - 184 sq ft (teeny bit smaller) Price - $80 more per person.

So here are my questions:

Does the balcony have metal sides or plexi glass in room #6316? I've read conflicting posts.

Is it worth the extra $80 per person to be on the hump (I'm thinking that it's the same as a shore excursion).

Is there a big difference between deck 6 and 8?

Is the difference in the room size noticable?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance!!!!:D

Well, I haven't been in either cabin, but have been on Mariner & Navigator. To my knowledge, all the balconies are plexiglass. Their sister ships (voyager, adventure & explorer) have the metal sides.

Tough decision. D1 is more room, less money, but at the back of the ship. The E2 is smaller, costs more, but is on the hump and conveniently located by the stairs. You won't hear any noise there, by the way.

If there are two of you, and don't mind walking, I'd go with the D1.

BTW - I was center Hump on Liberty last month. Other than the convenience of the stairs, it's not that big of a deal. from the center you can see all the way forward and all the way aft, but your cabin choice is not a center so your view aft will not be complete. I think on the Radiance class some of the humps have larger balconies, but on Freedom/Voyager class, they're no bigger than elsewhere.

Room #2 - Category E2 - Stateroom #6316 towards the center of the hump - 184 sq ft

Hey....I had that exact room booked for the Jan 13th cruise, but just upgraded to a junior suite. If I were you, I'd definitely go for the hump!!! Grab it before someone else does! By the way, my luggage tags have that room number on them, so if you end up with luggage that doesn't belong to you, please call me in room #9234. :p

Go for the largest room you can afford--you will be more comfortable! A "hump" is great because of location--the room and balcony are no larger on Voyager class ships than any other cabin of that catagory. Midships is a better ride. Aft cabins have larger balconies! If there are only 2 of you, you won't NEED the larger balcony, unless you're hosting a party!!!!

Pick one, love it, and forget it! While in port, you'll be in port--not in your cabin, anyway!!!

Hey....I had that exact room booked for the Jan 13th cruise, but just upgraded to a junior suite. If I were you, I'd definitely go for the hump!!! Grab it before someone else does! By the way, my luggage tags have that room number on them, so if you end up with luggage that doesn't belong to you, please call me in room #9234. :p

Yep, that's how I knew that there was a hump available. If we do get your old room, I'll be on the lookout for your lugage. Make sure you pack some cool stuff in it for me!:D

Yes, it is a connecting cabin. Is that bad? Why?

thanks again.

Connecting cabins usually have a love seat instead of a sofa to make room for the connecting door. Have also read those rooms can be noisier because of the door instead of a wall though others have said they have heard no additional noise. The other issue is really a non-issue since you can no longer smoke in cabins as of January. I have avoided connecting cabins because if a smoker was in the connecting cabin, smoke could come under the door.

It is really a personal choice but I have always avoided connecting rooms in both hotels and cruise ships:)

We were in a connecting D1 cabin on the Mariner last summer. Our furniture arrangement was exactly the same as the other D1s. The connecting door is across from the foot of the bed and we never even noticed it was there.

We had no noise at all from the people in the connecting cabin. The only reason we even knew there were occupants in the room was because we saw them on their balcony.

We had 6364 ( a connecting room on deck 6) in September. It does have the frosted glass dividers. You can't see your neighbours, but you can absolutely hear them when you are both on the balcony.

As to the sound in the cabin, we never heard a peep from our neighbours, and I think they had at least 1 child with them. The connecting doors on ships are IMMENSELY better than those in hotels!

Deck 6 is great because you only 1 flight from the action on deck 5. The view isn't much different from deck 8 (we've stayed on 6, 7 and 8).

I would choose the one closest to the stairs and elevators if mobility is an issue. If you can handle the longer walks, go for the larger cabin. It is not that much larger, no matter how big, unless it is a suite, it is crampped. A few extra SQF don't make that big of a difference.

My tip for making the best of the smaller room. Have the Attendant remove that silly little table. It is useless for anything other than the brochures they put on it and after I had it removed, my shins were much more happy.

If you don't need it, have the sofa removed too. That spot is perfect for suitcases to big to fit under the bed. I have never done this, but I had a neighbor on the Mariner ask to have it removed. They came right, took it apart (it is in two pieces) and moved it away. Who would have thought....

Dave

Archived