Food Poisoning??

I was reading this forum and noticed a few people state they got food poisoning the first or second night into their cruise. We were on Disney Magic a couple years ago and noticed there were waterless hand cleaners all over the ship. I do not think these will help with food poisoning though. I would hate to get food poisoning on my cruise or have one of my kids get food poison. Are there any foods to stay away from on a cruise? We are going on Marnier of the Sea 1/6/08. Thanks

I was reading this forum and noticed a few people state they got food poisoning the first or second night into their cruise. We were on Disney Magic a couple years ago and noticed there were waterless hand cleaners all over the ship. I do not think these will help with food poisoning though. I would hate to get food poisoning on my cruise or have one of my kids get food poison. Are there any foods to stay away from on a cruise? We are going on Marnier of the Sea 1/6/08. Thanks

Food poisoning?

Are you talking about brother Noro, the virus?

Food poisoning is quite different from the more common Norovirus outbreaks on ships. Noro is not passed through food, but through touching surfaces that have been touched by someone with the virus. Food poisoning comes from eating contaminated food or spoiled food.

The symptoms can seem the same, though. It can be confusing. A perfect example is what Hubby and I experienced on a summer cruise. He got really sick a couple of hours after we ate dinner in a premium restaurant. He was sick all night and much of the next day with a fever, exhaustion and stomach pain. I stayed in the room with him to keep him company and try to help, bring him water, etc. He was sure he had eaten bad food at the restaurant.

That next night I get what has to be called explosive vomiting, fever, jaw rattling chills, stomach pain, exhaustion, headache...I forget what all. Next day I went to the clinic and was diagnosed with Norovirus and given a Phenergan injection. The illness lasted almost four days. I am told that is very long for Norovirus.

Now the question is--did Hubby really have food poisoning as he believed or did he have Norovirus which he in turn gave to me or exactly what did happen? It is really hard to say.

One thing is true. A person can die with really severe food poisoning. My guess is that only people who already have greatly compromised health would die with the Norovirus, but I surely felt as if I was going to die.

I was talking of food posioning. Some guy stated he ate at Windjammer on Marnier of the Seas and soon after eating nachos he was sick and stayed sick for 4 days. This would not be good if my one year old son or four year old daughter came in contact with food poisoning. Just curious is there were some foods to stay away from? Like mayo or patato salad etc.......

Mariner is my favorite ship. I haven't heard of any reports of food poisoning on any ships. There are occasional reports of norovirus on various ships. Best defense is frequent washing of the hands and avoiding hand to mouth contact. At various times the ships will have the hand sanitizers at the dining room entrances but handwashing is your best defense.

Cases of norovirus do occur but but I wouldn't be too concerned with it. I've been on 4 cruises, 3 with RCI and I haven't seen a sick passenger on any of them. The odds are you won't either.

Have fun.

Jimmers

I was talking of food posioning. Some guy stated he ate at Windjammer on Marnier of the Seas and soon after eating nachos he was sick and stayed sick for 4 days. This would not be good if my one year old son or four year old daughter came in contact with food poisoning. Just curious is there were some foods to stay away from? Like mayo or patato salad etc.......

You are more likely to get something in your own town then on a cruise ship, whether it is a virus or improperly cooked or stored food.

Food is as safe as any you'd eat at any restaurant.

Jimmers

I read that review too and was surprised that no one had commented before. Use your head, wash your hands often, if you see someone touch something that they shouldn't, choose another item. The Mariner is a beautiful ship, we loved it so much we are going again in June.

Some of what I read here before my cruise got me nervous too. I actually stopped reading here the week prior to my cruise so I wouldn't have to be sedated:eek: :p :D

Good to hear. This is my first cruise on Royal so I hope it is a nice as Disney. We had a great time on Disney Magic. Maybe I will back a bottle of the water free hand sanatizer with me.

The best defense is THOROUGHLY washing your hands, the NORO is a virus and most of those hand sanitizer are anti-bacterials which do nothing.

Some of what I read here before my cruise got me nervous too. I actually stopped reading here the week prior to my cruise so I wouldn't have to be sedated:eek: :p :D

That's reallyitsmema funny. I'm having multiple laughs and I didn't even know men could have those.

After 40 something cruises, I have never got any food poisoning. Having gone on a lot of galley tours, the galleys look cleaner than any restaurant kitchen that I have ever seen (I have seen some bad ones).

They load new food each cruise, so I would think they dont have a lot of old food sitting around or going bad.

Anyone handling food always wears gloves, which is impressive.

I cannot think of anything food wise that I would stay away from.

Relax and enjoy.

Perhaps pax like to believe that they have food poisoning rather than admit that they have the Noro?

That may explain why they didn't quarantine themselves and left their cabin while still feeling ill.

Why ruin their cruise and miss the chance to infect other pax?:rolleyes:

I am more concerned about my 1 year old and my 4 year old then myself. You know how kids are. I would hate for one of them to get sick. Yes its just a likely to happen in my home town the only difference is I can rush them to a hospital if needed. I am not sure how health care is on a ship??

Hey it's me, "some guy". Yes I did have food poisoning on that cruise. It was not Noro Virus however, thier were 115 confirmed cases on our cruise per the medical staff. I've been in the medical field for over 8 years. I know how to wash my hands and keep clean.

Another thing. If it had been determined that I was indeed infected with the Noro Virus I would not have been out and about the ship thank you very much. It amazes me how some people can take the little bit of information and assume so much more. I also did use my head and washed my hands often. I'm not sure where that would help with food poisoning but hey, whatever makes you feel better reallyitsmema. Now if you will excuse me I have to go use my head.:mad:

Perhaps pax like to believe that they have food poisoning rather than admit that they have the Noro?

That may explain why they didn't quarantine themselves and left their cabin while still feeling ill.

Why ruin their cruise and miss the chance to infect other pax?:rolleyes:

Oh yeah that's it. I would much rather have Food Poisoning than the Noro. After all food poisoning feels sooo much better!! Of course I would also love nothing more than infecting the whole ship with the Noro Virus which encluded my two kids and girlfriend. Hell what I wouldn't give to get them sick on the only vacation they've ever had.....you people...sheesh

Oh yeah that's it. I would much rather have Food Poisoning than the Noro. After all food poisoning feels sooo much better!! Of course I would also love nothing more than infecting the whole ship with the Noro Virus which encluded my two kids and girlfriend. Hell what I wouldn't give to get them sick on the only vacation they've ever had.....you people...sheesh

If you indeed in "the medical field" then you are aware the even washing your hands may not prevent the noro.

The point is that you assumed you had food poisoning and unless you were examined by a qualified medical officer and that was his/her diagnosis you may have had the Noro. Were you checked? Or were you concerned that if you were checked that you and your party may have been quarantined?

No one is questioning whether you were sick or not but the OP was wondering what foods to avoid on a cruise after your thread about being sick. Fact is that you may not have had food poisoning at all and his fears about his small children becoming sick from ill prepared food may be unfounded.

Ronrocks...What was the boats excuse for the food poison?

They never said. I told them what I had for dinner that day. They pulled the ground beef off the line. Don't get me wrong. I was not opset at RCCL. I was upset that this was our first vacation ever and I was the one who got it! I would not hesitate to eat at the WJ again. If you think about all the food they serve they do a great job. It could have been something as simple as the warmer under the pan not working..or turned on who knows. I know RCCL changes out the eating utencils every 4 hours and recleans them reguardless. Accidents happen I understand that. What I wont do is let people tell me it was my fault I got sick.

Mac777 I would not worry about the food on the ship. Have a great time and eat until you pop...just don't pop like I did!:eek:

Yeah I agree with ya. Its not your fault the last thing you want to do is get sick on a boat at sea. We didnt even think about getting sick on the disney boat, but I was not on a forum like I am now either. We will be cautious but not paranoid. Thanks for the info.

After reading every post on this thread, I would like to share what happenned to us.

The first day of our last (only) cruise we all eagerly got up and went to breakfast. We all ate the exact same thing except for my husband who went back to the breakfast bar and got cantelope. about 3 hours later his stomach started rumbling, and then he was very busy (Lower) in the library (bathroom) for about one hour off and on. He layed down, I made him have some tea, ginger ale and toast. He took a nap and then felt better. To this day I feel the cantelope was not cleaned properly. He said he tasted cantelope in his mouth for hours. So you never do really know for sure.

I feel if it was Noro, more people would have been sick, but, we did not here of any one else getting sick after breakfast either. Who really knows for sure. If it was sea sickness, I felt he would have been sick longer.

If you indeed in "the medical field" then you are aware the even washing your hands may not prevent the noro.

The point is that you assumed you had food poisoning and unless you were examined by a qualified medical officer and that was his/her diagnosis you may have had the Noro. Were you checked? Or were you concerned that if you were checked that you and your party may have been quarantined?

No one is questioning whether you were sick or not but the OP was wondering what foods to avoid on a cruise after your thread about being sick. Fact is that you may not have had food poisoning at all and his fears about his small children becoming sick from ill prepared food may be unfounded.

Some people amaze me. Here's what I did. I got sick on night two of the cruise. I figured heck I am sick but I'm not going to let it ruin my cruise. As soon as I get done blowing my chow all over the sink and in the toilet I think I'll go down to the Promenade and have a drink. On the way there I will stop by and see my girls, because hey..if I have to be sick...so should you.

Or were you concerned that if you were checked that you and your party may have been quarantined? Oh you figured me out. I ALWAYS put the welfare and safety of myself before others. (it's a good trait to have in a firefighter)

Were you checked? Well you see I was going to get checked, but while I was sitting on the toilet throwing up in the sink I thought...hey this would make a fun excursion I hope it last!!:p Yes I was checked...

Archived