JEWEL Review - Dec. 15-23, 2007 part I

Hi Linda, you did a great job on your review and it was so great getting to meet you at the Meet & Mingle.

We too found the quality of the food lacking and not as good as our Dec '05 cruise on her (could be the different chef??)

We ate in both Chops & Portofino (Portofino is still $20 per person) and found that we liked Chops much better. Definitely agree with your GS - it was the best meal of our cruise.

Gail

Part II

Food - I've find this subject a little touchy and I'm not real picky on food, so this is just my opinion. I feel that the quality of the food is lacking a little bit, but we did not go hungry. I also think that rcl tries to put too much sauce on their main dishes (drowning out the flavor). We were just on the Mariner of the Seas in May and the food was very good. So I guess it is hit & miss.

Dining Room - The Tides Dining Room is a 2-tier room. Beautifully decorated and furnished. We had Table 506-table of 12. Five in our family and 7 in another family from London. We had wonderful tablemates - hi guys. Our Waiter was Pilar and Asst. waiter was Dennis. Both were outstanding. They made the whole dining experience fun and worthwhile. There was plenty to chose from (off the menu) and it was served warm every night. Again, we're not picky eaters. As long as I didn't have to shop for it, clean it, cook it and do the dishes...I'm in heaven:D

Chops & Portofinos - we took the whole family (5) to Chops during San Juan and our ressies were at 6pm. That way our grandson (9 yrs) could go with us. Amazing dinner and service. This is a must. The best steaks and vegetables. Way different than what they serve in the dining room. Our grandson said that this was the best meal of the entire cruise. Just so you know, the price has increased to $25pp at Chops. I'm not sure about Portofinos because we did not go.

Windjammer - there are 2 omelette stations, which was nice. Plenty of food, always warm, same selection every day. I do love the outside seating on the Jewel. It was nice to get your food and find a spot outside. Loved that about the Jewel. Solarium Cafe great pizza and crepes. A very nice spot also for an afternoon snack. Weird hours of operation though. A service is slow because there is only one lady there at all times doing everything. Check compass for operation hours. Seaview Cafe - love, love, love it. The Cuban sandwiches; the fish & chips and the brownies. The only thing you pay for is drinks such as sodas, beers, shakes. The only free drink is water. Great place. Again, weird hours.

Hi Linda and Gail! Hope you are both doing well.

I had a different experience with the dining room food. I actually thought the food improved since our Jewel cruise 11 months prior. I know I'm in the minority, however so I will consider myself lucky. Our Portofino experience was better in January mainly due to the difference in servers. The Seaview was a great respite from the WJ and the manager and I recognized each other from our last cruise.

Andrea did a great job, as usual. She remembered us from our last cruise and provided great service. We didn't frequent the Hollywood Odyssey that much since our son is only 20.

I thought the Jewel staff, in general, was especially cordial which makes for a positive overall cruising experience.

Loved your review!

We have seen Judy Kolba twice and you are right, she's pretty unusual but we liked her. Were the Gaucho's on board for entertainment? They are also such a different act and we loved them.

Did you notice if the slot machines give paper tickets?? We will be onboard the Jewel in Feb and looking forward to it!

Loved your review!

We have seen Judy Kolba twice and you are right, she's pretty unusual but we liked her. Were the Gaucho's on board for entertainment? They are also such a different act and we loved them.

Did you notice if the slot machines give paper tickets?? We will be onboard the Jewel in Feb and looking forward to it!

Thank you torpeedo!

The Gaucho's were not onboard. We've seen them also. I really like their act.

I can't answer the question about paper tickets. I hope someone can. I do know that you could put your seapass card in and it would add up rewards because that has been mentioned already. It makes sense that it would give paper tickets also.:confused: I hope someone can confirm this for you.

Linda,

Thank you for all that great information. We are heading out on JOS February 23rd and can't wait. I am curious which night you suggest to skip the main dining room to go to either of the specialty restaurants? I hate to miss prime rib and lobster in the main dining room. Do you remember the "themes" for dinner in the main dining room to help us make our decision? For example, if Wednesday was italian in the main dining room, that may be a good night to go to Portofino's.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Barbara

On our 8 day - leaving Saturday Dec. 15

Sunday - formal night - It seems as though they had prime rib on this night.

Monday - San Juan - We went to Chops this night. - They also had a BBQ after leaving San Juan up on Deck 11-poolside. For some reason I'm thinking that was caribbean night. I don't remember.

Friday - was 2nd formal and I believe they served lobster or fisherman's platter that night.

I don't have a menu so I can't help you out exactly on the other nights. I hope this was helpful.

Linda,

That is helpful. If you come across anything else, let me know. I know we want to do Chops but am unsure about Portofino's. We've been to it before and even though we really enjoyed it, it really was too much food for most of us and we enjoy the dining room too.

Thanks again!

Barbara

ps. We are on the 8-day cruise as well..........can't wait!

Archived