Lithium Battery Ban

Grtcdnwolf

For all those like me who takes lots of spare batteries with you for all your electronic devices... take heed...

WASHINGTON - To help reduce the risk of fires, air travelers will no longer be able to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage beginning Jan. 1, the Transportation Department said Friday.

Passengers can still check baggage with lithium batteries if they are installed in electronic devices, such as cameras, cell phones and laptop computers. If packed in plastic bags, batteries may be in carryon baggage. The limit is two batteries per passenger.

Here's a link to the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

and the news release from from the DOT website: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

There is also some good information. links and calculations here: http://www.michaelchang.com/blog/photography-gear/tsa-lithium-battery-restrictions/

Is that two loose batteries? I'm flying out tomorrow with my laptop, cell phone, and my digital camera with all the batteries already in the devices.

Make that spare batteries. Not loose. They are supposed to be ether in original packaging or "If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package."

I know the MSNBC article quoted a limit of two, but I didn't find that on the TSA links. Granted, it's early, I need more coffee, and they really seem to hide things on that site so that you often have to read six different pages to find the one that spells it out in black and white but so far, I don't see the limit mentioned. Only that the spares must be in carry-on, not checked luggage.

I'm just wondering how they will know whether my spare AAs in my checked luggage are Alkaline or Lithium?

Thanks!

Am I the only one that didn't know that loose lithium batteries are dangerous?? I'll take heed and pack carefully!

LK

This is a real head scratcher, because according to the TSA's own research, they aren't.

"The research also shows that an explosion will not result from shorting or damaging either lithium-ion or primary lithium batteries. Both are, however, extremely flammable. Primary lithium batteries cannot be extinguished with firefighting agents normally carried on aircraft, whereas lithium-ion batteries are easily extinguished by most common extinguishing agents, including those carried on board commercial aircraft."

According to this, as long as you keep them away from an open flame, no problem.

This is just the TSA overreacting again. :rolleyes:

In reading the TSA warning it's only in CHECKED bags - not carryon. You can still take spare lithium batteries in your carryon and I did not see any mention of limits on the TSA website. They are the official word so I'll go with what they say.

Anyway - I cannot imagine packing my camera or any other electronic device in my checked baggage. Not a good idea with theft out of checked luggage occurring more and more.

In reading the TSA warning it's only in CHECKED bags - not carryon. You can still take spare lithium batteries in your carryon and I did not see any mention of limits on the TSA website. They are the official word so I'll go with what they say.

Anyway - I cannot imagine packing my camera or any other electronic device in my checked baggage. Not a good idea with theft out of checked luggage occurring more and more.

This is exactly what I was thinking....no way would I pack a camera or any electronics in my checked luggage!

I've read this a few times over the past few days and it sounds like if they're not installed in a device, then you can only have 2 in a carryon IF they are wrapped individually in plastic bags.

None are allowed in checked bags.

I would suggest if you need more than 2:

1. Putting new Lithium batteries in your devices before you leave, and save the used as spares at home

2. Buying new batteries at your destination if you need them

3. If you can, buy alkalines or rechargeable Ni-MHs (I like the new hybrid Ni-MHs..they don't lose their charge as quickly) and bring a portable charger

4. As listed above..spread them out over bags. They don't say 2 per bag or 2 per passenger though.

I've read this a few times over the past few days and it sounds like if they're not installed in a device, then you can only have 2 in a carryon IF they are wrapped individually in plastic bags.

None are allowed in checked bags.

I would suggest if you need more than 2:

1. Putting new Lithium batteries in your devices before you leave, and save the used as spares at home

2. Buying new batteries at your destination if you need them

3. If you can, buy alkalines or rechargeable Ni-MHs (I like the new hybrid Ni-MHs..they don't lose their charge as quickly) and bring a portable charger

4. As listed above..spread them out over bags. They don't say 2 per bag or 2 per passenger though.

Will someone please tell me where they are seeing the limit of 2 in the TSA literature? I know the orignal news article said a limit of two but I do not see that on the TSA site. And it would not be the first time that a news article did not have the complete or acurate information.

Will someone please tell me where they are seeing the limit of 2 in the TSA literature? I know the orignal news article said a limit of two but I do not see that on the TSA site. And it would not be the first time that a news article did not have the complete or acurate information.

"Common consumer electronics such as travel cameras, cell phones, and most laptop computers are still allowed in carry-on and checked luggage. However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries (see attached illustration), such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage."

This comes directly from the TSA website in their "In the News" section. If you put "lithium batteries" in the TSA search, they give you 2 items about the battery limit. They do not provide links to any news other than TSA news.

I also called TSA and after holding for 3 minutes the agent said he spoke with his supervisor and said the "news" article was accurate and that there is a limit of only 2 batteries. He said this starts Jan. 1st.

1-866-289-9673 (open 24 hours a day)

Hope that helps

Alot of people are confused by this (including me)..and not just on this site. Not good when they announce it less than a week before it goes into effect.

I'm starting to think it won't be as big of a deal as I initially thought.it sounds like it applies to the large batteries such as laptop and camcorder..not small camera batteries such as the 123s and AA/AAA's. Here's the quote that makes me think this (from a link provided on the TSA site)

"However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries (see attached illustration), such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage."

DON'T WORRY, FOLKS!!!

For most people, the only impact is that spare batteries must be in carry-on luggage (and should be in individual plastic bags or other packaging) - BUT THERE IS NO LIMIT ON THE NUMBER for most batteries.

Here's a good link: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html .

Note that only very large batteries are affected by the limit of two to a passenger. The article states that "Nearly all laptop computers also are below this quantity [i.e., weight] threshold". I think it's safe to infer regular camera batteries are well below the limit.

Archived