Anyone familiar with Harwich England?

Mrs007

We will be stopping there mid-May with the Royal Princess. Can anyone recommend a pub or restaurant for a banger and a beer? or maybe a cream tea? I have heard the Pier Hotel has good food, but is it okay to go there in tourist/casual clothing?

Are there any special walking tours that anyone know about? We are really not looking to riding on a bus for 2 hours to go into London and just want to stick around Harwich. Or, is Dovercourt more interesting and are there taxis available at the port to take us there?

Thanks for any input.

We stayed in the Tower Hotel and then in the morning before boarding the ship, had fun walking into Dovercourt and dipping into the sea. It was not touristy but old fashioned English. The only food we bought was from a Fish and Chip/Chinese take away. The food was not memorable, but we ate because we were hungry. I liked Harwich and wish I had had more time to explore.

We are also interested in what is nearby the port in Harwich. We are on the Royal Princess too, but in July. If we take an excusion to Paris from LeHavre I don't think we'll want to do another long bus/train trip to see London. We would just like to soak up some atmosphere, and maybe a pub lunch.

We are also interested in what is nearby the port in Harwich. We are on the Royal Princess too, but in July. If we take an excusion to Paris from LeHavre I don't think we'll want to do another long bus/train trip to see London. We would just like to soak up some atmosphere, and maybe a pub lunch.

As we took the train journey to my family in Nottingham, we passed some lovely looking countryside. I mean, it is Constable country and Gainsborough was born near there - there was a super looking cathedral - I think it was Bury St Edmunds, there is Clacton on Sea - a typical English seaside resort - any CCers live near there and say that it is worth the short taxi trip ? There must be some way of getting a good guided tour of the area. Colchester is one of the first Roman towns in England, that has to be interesting. London is not the only part of England that is worth a visit.

Try http://www.expedia.com/daily/cruise/geo/ports.asp?tiid=602460

for lots of information about the area - I wish I had found it 12 months ago !

• 2 weeks later...
As we took the train journey to my family in Nottingham, we passed some lovely looking countryside. I mean, it is Constable country and Gainsborough was born near there - there was a super looking cathedral - I think it was Bury St Edmunds, there is Clacton on Sea - a typical English seaside resort - any CCers live near there and say that it is worth the short taxi trip ? There must be some way of getting a good guided tour of the area. Colchester is one of the first Roman towns in England, that has to be interesting. London is not the only part of England that is worth a visit.

Try http://www.expedia.com/daily/cruise/geo/ports.asp?tiid=602460

for lots of information about the area - I wish I had found it 12 months ago !

Hi

I live in Colchester which is only 10 min train ride - Come and visit us we have a norman castle and the roman wall and lots of other interesting places to visit - plenty of tea rooms - as some one who lives near i would not go to clacton (sorry to those who live there) its a bit run down now also you can get to dedham - flatford mill (Constable) and also lavenham is worth a visit - when are you docking in Harwich?

Lesley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi

I live in Colchester which is only 10 min train ride - Come and visit us we have a norman castle and the roman wall and lots of other interesting places to visit - plenty of tea rooms - as some one who lives near i would not go to clacton (sorry to those who live there) its a bit run down now also you can get to dedham - flatford mill (Constable) and also lavenham is worth a visit - when are you docking in Harwich?

Lesley

Hi Lesley, I am taking the RCCL Jewell Transatlantic next Sept and was told by some friends who live in London that Colchester is a very nice place to spend the day before the trip and save some money. We were going to land at Heathrow and take the train to Colchester. I see there is a Holiday Inn and Best Western Inn in Colchester. We wanted to visit some of the sights in town. Is it easy to get around? Are taxi's easy to hail and how much does it cost. Which hotel is reasonably priced and located within walking distance of the best places to visit. I was hoping to keep the hotel cost around 80-125 pounds for the night.

Hi

Lesley

I grew up in Clacton-on-Sea and have happy memories of a childhood where we were free to roam the beaches and countryside.

I went back there as an adult 7 years ago, and thought it was a dump! Admittedly, we went "off season" and it was raining that day, but the place really did look run down. It may have improved since then.

Colchester is interesting and well worth a visit. Flatford Mill too, as well as St Osyth's Priory (at St Osyth, of course).

Hi Lesley, I am taking the RCCL Jewell Transatlantic next Sept and was told by some friends who live in London that Colchester is a very nice place to spend the day before the trip and save some money. We were going to land at Heathrow and take the train to Colchester. I see there is a Holiday Inn and Best Western Inn in Colchester. We wanted to visit some of the sights in town. Is it easy to get around? Are taxi's easy to hail and how much does it cost. Which hotel is reasonably priced and located within walking distance of the best places to visit. I was hoping to keep the hotel cost around 80-125 pounds for the night.

Hi Mike

You can see most of Colchester on foot the best place to stay for location is the Best Western The George Hotel (Old Coaching House) never stayed myself but have had a drink and dinner in there bar and resturant its right on the high street not sure of cost - but the castle is only a few minutes walk easy enough to get a taxi from the station to Hotel should only cost around £6.00. Nice place to visit is the Tymperlys Clock Museum (all in walking distance) they have clocks from the 18th and 19th centry its free entry also Hollytrees museum (home life in Colchester over 300 years) Hollytrees is next to the Castle its also free entry, The Castle will cost you £4.90 per person they have artifacts from the roman invasion and a lot about the Civil War hope this helps let me know if you need any more info and i will try to help

Lesley

A friend of mine from England said that Colchester is a good place to stay. But, we decided to stay at the Pier Hotel in Harwich since our plane does not arrive until 3:00 P.M. and we just need a place to spend the night. From what I understand, the Ha'Penny at the Pier is casual and has good fish n chips. We are planning to meet some people on our roll call either here or at a pub later for a drink. There are a lot of pubs around the pier but I don't know which will be the best one to go to. If anyone knows of a good pub let me know.

Archived