Airline questions Sept 08 Atlanta to Anchorage

darin2

We are sailing Carnival Spirit Anchorage to Vancouver Sept 3rd 2008.

We paid $710 per person for travel (airline and transfers) through Carnival. I have been hoping that the airline prices would fall some and I could drop Carnival's package and book on my own. The best deal I have found so far is Frontier Airlines flying out of Atlanta to Anchorage on the 2nd (I can stay at the Hilton for free with points) and then from Seattle to Atlanta late on the 10th coming back. It's running $975 for both of us, and then we could pay for transfers separatley. I know the Magic Bus runs from Anchorage to Whittier. Any suggestions on transfers from the dock in Vancouver to Seattle Airport? What does Carnival charge for this? Any thoughts on the price through Frontier? Thanks.

You could fly from YVR to SEA on Air Canada for $81pp.

Driving or taking the bus / train across the border is very doable, but I've read horror stories about the delays due to immigration. I'm sure many people do it successfully, but I liked the Air Canada move. Rent a car for the day, see a few sites in Vancouver, then drop off at the airport, if you flight schedules allow.

If you have not booked your airfare, I would wait. That is too high and just because you are doing a triange airfare, it should not be that high. I just booked my parents Myrtle Beach via Atlanta, to Vancouver and return from Anchorage to Atlanta then to Myrtle Beach and only paid $593 plus taxes. Then a week later it fell again. If you can wait, I would. Isn't Delta giving you a better deal than Frontier???

I think we're on the same ship.. the flights have gone up about $100pp since November, I check every day. I'm just going to keep watching :)

I've been watching too and with the same result. I check ATL because it's a hub relatively close to me. I'd like to think fares will come down a bit, but with the price of oil, I'm skeptical.

Have you looked at Delta???

Generally non stop flights are often more expensive than flights that make connections so from Atlanta I would not be surprised if Delta costs more than the cheapest.

John

If you need to fly to anchorage and then back from vancouver, why are you trying to fly out of seattle? That just adds to your expense. You can take a shuttle from anchorage to the docks (whittier( for $19 per person. check the cruise critic boards for that info

flying out of vancouver to atlanta direct is the best bet. Round trip is $590 pp. If the r/t with carnival is $715 and includes everything, that is not too bad of a price...but keep in mind, you are at their mercy for flights and transports. Coming in a day early is always a smart idea.

Delta will always give you a better price and route from its hub in Atlanta and more of a direct route.

Darin..we are on part of that Frontier Flight...Leaving Detroit and connecting in Denver , then on to Anchorage on 9/02/08. Returning @ 12:55 pm out of Vancouver and connecting in Denver to return to Detroit on 9/10/2008. We already booked ours at $549.00 ea. You just don't know what the prices will do, but I felt comfortable with this so went with it. I would be surprised but very happy for you if you find anything for much less. I haven't figured out how to go from the ship to the airport in Vancouver yet!

The best deal I have found so far is Frontier Airlines flying out of Atlanta to Anchorage on the 2nd (I can stay at the Hilton for free with points) and then from Seattle to Atlanta late on the 10th coming back. It's running $975 for both of us, and then we could pay for transfers separatley. I know the Magic Bus runs from Anchorage to Whittier.

That is really decent airfare for ATL/ANC and SEA/ATL very close to Labor Day weekend. If you haven't booked it already, I would book it ASAP.

For transfer to Vancouver to Seattle, Quick Shuttle/Coach, AmTrak (runs 4 buses a day from the Amtrak station to the Amtrak station in Seattle as well as the train at 6:00PM) or a rental car.

The shuttles will run you about $80.00 for two. The train is a little bit cheaper ($56.00 for two) but you will have to add in a taxi to Vancouver Amtrak and a taxi from Seattle Amtrak to SeaTac.

So even adding in the transfer in Anchorage and the transfer in Vancouver, by my calculations and with $975.00 air fare, you still save over $100.00 PER PERSON over the Carnival transfer. I can think of a lot of places I could spend $200.00+ in Alaska. PLEASE book the flight before the price goes UP.

With fuel still soaring and the dollar worth diddly in most places in the world, I would anticipate a VERY busy Alaska tourist season.

Archived