Chances for Reduced Last Minute Rate to Alaska?

Sprucetree

What are my chances of getting a reduced rate if I wait until the last minute to book an Alaska cruise? The solo rate is high on Celebrity, but I know at least one other solo who has booked late for Alaska, and got an inside in a nice location.

Anyone?????

What are my chances of getting a reduced rate if I wait until the last minute to book an Alaska cruise? The solo rate is high on Celebrity, but I know at least one other solo who has booked late for Alaska, and got an inside in a nice location.

Anyone?????

Sometimes you see some pretty good rates on the very early season Alaska cruises and the ones at the end of the season. Rarely do you see Celebrity with anything less than 200% single supp but it has happened and may still but it is not the norm. The good news is if the rate is low enough paying the 200% doesn't seem quite as bad. You have a better chance of getting lower single supp on Princess, HAL or maybe Carnival.

Best of luck.

I argee with BettyF3614. The best rates for a solo cruiser is at the start of the season (May) or at the end of the season (Late August and September). My normal TA sends me e-mails with cruise listing and for the past few weeks she has some great rates on Princess.

I noticed this pattern for the past few years with the Alaskan rates.

However, the balcony rates are :eek: :eek: !! Even if you are sailing with someone.

May I also suggest the Alaskan State Ferry?? I sailed b2b with them doing the inside passage. We made stops in the standards ports and also a few that the cruiselines don't stop at (Hanies & Petersburg). They have a limited number of cabins, but the rates are by the cabin regardless of the number of people. You also have the option of using the lounge area with big comfy chairs or if you are really want to live it, pitch a tent in under the heat lamps on the deck.

I had a cabin, but hung out all over the boat. Since the ship I was on also allowed cars and RV's you had a mixture of people that normal don't sail the cruiselines. You had retirees with their RV's heading for Alaska for the summer, you had backpackers from all over the world heading for back country trips, you had miltary familes heading to bases, you had college students heading back home. The best group on the ship was a grandmother sailing with seven grandkids from 4 to 18 with two tents on the back deck.

The ship was full heading up the inside passage, but on the return leg we had under 100 people on board (it was early in the season early June). Everyone would hang out on the top deck in the eveings.

I like the fact that it also goes to Dutch Harbor and Kodiack. Great stops where the cruiseships don't go. In 2009 I'm going to fly to Dutch Harbor and take the Alaskan state ferry from there to Valdez and from Whitter to Seattle on HAL.

But trust me, you will love Alaska!!

Happy sailing!!

Thanks, Snowbird and Airlink.

I'm hoping that if I hold off I'll be able to get a lower rate late in the season. I checked the Alaska Ferry and unless I calculated wrong, it seemed the price for a cabin was about the same as a cruise, but didn't include the food.

Dutch Harbor sounds absolutely fascinating. Anyone who has watched "Deadliest Catch" is probably intrigued by Dutch Harbor.

I there anyone reading this who has actually booked late? How did it work out?

Betty,

I noticed you live in the Midwest, so I'm assuming you'll be flying to Seattle or Vancouver. Another thing to consider is whether you'll be able to afford last minute airfare, if airfare is even available.

Sometimes last minute cruise bargains are advertised for Alaska, but the flights are non-existent, or cost more than the cruise.

Personally I think you're taking a huge gamble waiting to book last minute.

Roz

airlink diva,

I am intrigued by the idea of the ferry. Have sailed Inside Passage on Princess. Please tell me if there are food facilities on the ferry. What are the cabins like?

Thanks!!

The ships have a snack bar and dining room. I really only used them on the first two days and last two days. The other times I ate in port. I also kept food in my cabin.

I had a two person cabin with a porthole. It was very basic. Just two bunk beds, a small sitting area and a bathroom with a shower.

Like I stated, you had the option of getting a cabin. The majority of the people claim one of the lounge chairs, slept outside under the heat lamps or pitched tents in the selected areas.

We had rangers on board who gave talks about wildlife,etc.

The time in port varied. At each (except Peterburg) there were tours offer that got us back in time for sailing.

You can get by with sailing under $500 by doing the basic.

If you had your car or RV, several times during the day you were allowed down in the storage area to them. This was helpful to those with pets in their RV.

It's not a cruiseship mind you, but I really enjoyed myself on this and I met more people from the state on this than you would on a cruiseship.

Archived