Did We Almost Flip Over?

TEMPLE

I went on the Triumph 12/8-12/15 and during our trip the first couple days we were battling tropical storm Olga. At one point during the storm the ship slowly tilted to the left extremly hard. Things on our vanity fell to the floor and our wiater said they lost about 600 plates. The ship stayed tilted like that for like 10-15 seconds. Jus t when you thought it would balance it self it just kept going left. It was scary. Was anybody else on that cruise?

The cruise director got on the P.A and tryed to calm everyone basically saying " The captain has regained control of the vessel". :eek:

As if to say they lost control at some point?

What actually happended?

Can the ship actually flip over?

I went on the Triumph 12/8-12/15 and during our trip the first couple days we were battling tropical storm Olga. At one point during the storm the ship slowly tilted to the left extremly hard. Things on our vanity fell to the floor and our wiater said they lost about 600 plates. The ship stayed tilted like that for like 10-15 seconds. Jus t when you thought it would balance it self it just kept going left. It was scary. Was anybody else on that cruise?

The cruise director got on the P.A and tryed to calm everyone basically saying " The captain has regained control of the vessel". :eek:

What actually happended?

"Regained" is the operative word. :eek:

One word, Poseidon. :D

LMAO, where's liv with the video clip?:D

What actually happended?

I would normally say, you had nothing to worry about. However, the Statement "The captain has regained control of the vessel" is very concerning. I doubt you were close to "flipping over" but that is pretty scary to think the ship was momentarily out of control.

What actually happended?

Ships can list(list means seeming to be sideways, like you bending over to the side) quite a few degrees. Their draft goes down at least 30 feet, but I never checked so it very well could be more. (draft is the part of the boat that is under the water)

Yes, they can flip. We've been out in our own boat and watched people get broadsided coming back thru the inlet and flip over, because they have done something stupid such as try and turn around and then expose the side of their vessel to the sea. If you were broadsided by a big enough wave, most certainly it would flip the ship. I don't believe that has ever happened to a cruiseliner, but if I am wrong someone else will correct me. But that is why they have all the electronic equipment onboard and a captain. Believe me, it takes quite a few credentials to be a captain of a cruiseliner.

But there is a always a first time ;) You just have to hope you aren't on the one that does ....lol The ocean is not for the faint of heart.

I would normally say, you had nothing to worry about. However, the Statement "The captain has regained control of the vessel" is very concerning. I doubt you were close to "flipping over" but that is pretty scary to think the ship was momentarily out of control.

It was probably a poor choice of words by the cruise director. On the other hand there are probably those moments when the ship does something unexpected and it feels like it is out of control. Like when your car momentarily slips on an icy road.

What actually happended?

Pretty much the answer is no. Modern ships need to heel over past about 60 degrees in order to capsize, an almost impossible feat to accomplish.

Searching all the sinking from 1979 to the present there has been only one instance of ship capsizing. That was a RO-RO ferry that set sail with the bow doors open. Bad form...

There's a possibility that one of the stabilizers partly retracted which would cause the rolling moment, much like the way an aircraft banks into a turn. It's happened more than once in the past.

My daughter and her boyfriend were on that sailing and she said the same thing. They were on the lido deck and water came pouring in from the hot tub. She said she thought they were going to go over also. But, I don't believe that a ship could go over. I have been on rough waters but nothing that made everything on the dressers fall off!

is it possible the cd's words were an attempt to add a little humor to it? As we all know, humor tends to calm people when they are scared, angry, etc. Perhaps his attempt at a one-liner was improperly timed. After all, I know a few pilots who say things like that on the loudspeaker after an unusually rough flight. (Case and point, a friend of mine who flies for a major airline [i will not tell the line, as he could still be fired for this], flew in extremely turbulent weather one day, the plane bounced, dropped, and generally rattled even the most seasoned fliers. Once he was through the storm and approaching the airport, Dave got on the speaker and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, my attempt to get this thing off the ground went well, I apologize for the damage to the bottom of the plane as we flew over New York who knew the buildings where that tall. Now, if you will set back and relax, I'll make my first attempt ever to land a real plane." Believe me, I was on this flight, no one found it funny until the stewardess, sorry, flight attendant, got on the speaker and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please accept an apology from the entire company of XX Airlines, our pilot, Dave is auditioning for the Last Comic Standing, you see now why he was not pushed on to the next show.")

My dh is an aerospace engineer (I know, rockets, not boats), but, he said the weight, design, and safety checkpoints each of these ships have were designed for the waters and weathers they face, it's not impossible for them to flip, but it would absolutely take extenuating circumstances to do it.

"Regained" is the operative word. :eek:

LMAO, where's liv with the video clip?:D

Exactly.

Give me a few minutes and let me see if i can come up w/something. :D i have to be careful of what i link to. there was a nasty linkage incident just prior to CHIRSTMAS...:eek: :cool:

Exactly.

Give me a few minutes and let me see if i can come up w/something. :D i have to be careful of what i link to. there was a nasty linkage incident just prior to CHIRSTMAS...:eek: :cool:

LMAO, err, what are you talkin about? :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

My DH is a naval officer and he says nope, don't believe the movies! Even US Naval Vessels who do go through storms on occasion, and aren't designed for passenger comfort, don't flip over. Cruise ships are designed to roll somewhat and right themselves, and what feels like a lot of roll to the passengers, really isn't. You were nowhere near flipping over.

My DH is a naval officer and he says nope, don't believe the movies! Even US Naval Vessels who do go through storms on occasion, and aren't designed for passenger comfort, don't flip over. Cruise ships are designed to roll somewhat and right themselves, and what feels like a lot of roll to the passengers, really isn't. You were nowhere near flipping over.

Yeah and the guy who desinged the titanic said she wouldn't sink either...

Ships are put through extensive sea trials prior to being delivered by the shipyard. They attempt to "push the envelope".

There is a clip on youtube of a cruise ship in a serious tropical storm...rolls back and forth but sails on. I don't know who had it worse..the pax on the ship or the people in the helicopter filming it.

It was possibly what is called a rouge wave that hit the ship and caused it to list over. these larger than normal waves happen sometimes in storm like this. just look what happened to the QE2 a few years back when she hit a rouge wave and blew out a couple of pilot house windows. they are rare but they do happen and there is not much you can do about it but hang on and ride it out.

Capt Bill

If anyone watches the show "Deadliest Catch" you know that a ship can get hit by a rogue wave, which are RARE but still occur, and if the wave is big enough the ship will turn. Thankfully, the ship righted itself up and the crew and captain were ok. So, while it may be rare, it most definitely IS possible for a ship to turn over. But I wouldn't worry about it on your cruise cause chances are very very very slim it would happen. Your captain probably thought he was saying something that would calm everyone down but in retrospect it was probably a poor choice of words. :rolleyes:

Kristina

Archived