Review of Carnival Liberty 12/22-30/07

Florida1947

Here is my brief review of our cruise on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Everglades -- Departing 12/22/07, returning 12/30/07.

We drove to the port and parked our car in the $15 per day :eek: parking garage. Next time I would explore the cheaper nearby private parking lots. That parking fee was painful but it did put us immediately next to the ship which we favored.

Embarking was mostly painless. We got there around 1:30 pm and there was a line but it moved along. The lady at the counter told us we could have come as early as 10:30 am but we read they didn’t open the doors until 1:00 pm. Who knew? Next time we will come earlier and try to avoid the long lines.

Or itinerary was:

1 Ft Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm – ship departs

2 Fun Day At Sea

3 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

4 Fun Day At Sea

5 Limon, Costa Rica 10:00am 6:00pm

6 Colon, Panama 7:00am 4:00pm

7 Fun Day At Sea

8 Fun Day At Sea

9 Ft Lauderdale, FL 8:00am

The Liberty is known for the outdoor big TV screen. I liked it because they would show the popular live Sunday and Monday night football games in the evenings and it was fun to sit on the lounges in the warm evening sea air and watch the games. I was surprised that except for the big video screen, this ship was identical in layout and design as the Costa Magica we cruised on in December 2006. But the Costa ship was Italian and had Italian designs inside and more Italian food and crew. The Carnival Liberty seemed to have a more international crew with a lot of South Africans and, of course, Asians. All Carnival Liberty employees were excellent.

As for ports of call, our first was Cozumel, Mexico. We did not pay for any excursions. We just walked off the ship and went shopping. There is a very big cruise ship oriented shopping area at the end of the pier. We also rented a taxi for a 2 hour drive around the island. That was nice but the driver’s English was almost nonexistent. But he tried very hard and we enjoyed the ride.

Next we stopped at Limon, Costa Rica. Unfortunately heavy rains had damaged the interior roads and nearly all excursions were canceled, including the trip to the coffee plantation we had booked. The only exception was the zipline excursions. We got off the ship and walked through the middle of Limon which is a pedestrian shopping area for the locals. Men with pump shotguns guarded some stores. Everyone on the street seemed very friendly and police patrolled but once away from the ship none of the shops catered to tourists and we were warned repeatedly that the city was not safe. So we spent our money with the small flea market-like vendors clustered around the end of the pier. Unlike Mexico, no one would bargain. You paid their price or forget it and all the vendors stuck to the same price.

At Panama we bought the excursion that gave you the cross-the-isthmus transcontinental train ride. A bus took us from the ship to the train station where we boarded a very comfortable air conditioned train with very comfortable cushy leather seats. You could see parts of the Panama Canal as you rode over to Panama City. There was some competition for the limited space but there were open sided sections for photographers who didn’t want to shoot through glass. The train didn't go all the way into Panama City. I suspect it was too dangerous to let innocent cruse passengers out to roam around downtown Panama City. Instead we boarded buses and went out to some islands connected by a causeway. I could see concrete canal defense batteries overgrown and I suspect once upon a time (WW2?) these were military-only islands. Now they have yacht clubs and restaurants for the well to do. We returned to the ship the same way in reverse.

There was a bus stop photo-op at the Miraflores locks but no ships went through the locks while we were there. Since we went through the canal on a cruise in 1994 we weren't that disappointed. Also for the same reason we did not purchase the excursion that allowed tourists to ride through the Pacific side locks on a ferry. Note - the current roadbed for this transcontinental railroad was laid down around 1913 when the USA finished the canal and was not the original 19th century roadbed.

Note about risks - We were told there are only the very rich and extremely poor in Panama. There is no middle class. I think the same is true in Costa Rica. The only exception is they encourage Americans to retire in Panama and Costa Rica, where it is apparently more affordable than the USA. I guess these retirees could be considered middle class. Also on this excursion, we never left what was once called the "canal zone." There are no signs of poverty in the old canal zone.

Upon leaving Panama we had a touch of rough seas that bounced us around a little bit and made the cruise a little more interesting but overall we had perfect cruising weather. And at one point I noticed the ship was turning unusually close to Cuba and worried about who was driving. And since you could buy Cuban cigars in all our ports of call, but not import them back into the USA, on the last night of the cruise the ship was filled with cigar smoke as passengers smoked up their last Cuban cigars. Unlike the Costa Magica, there was no last night toga party.

I read over the many pages of helpful Carnival tips and tried to use all that applied. A multiple plug came in very handy. We like the wacky towel animals. Our ice bucket was always full without pre-tipping the room steward. Our inside cabin was totally dark with the lights off so I brought a handy nightlight and flashlights. Our cabin was the most aft/rear inside cabin on the lowest deck and yes we could tell the ship’s engines and stern thrusters were close by. At times I heard some clanging and banging that contrasted to the usual engine throb and worried a little. Strangely these noises never interrupted our sleep and we were not unhappy with our cabin choice considering we booked very late.

I was very satisfied with the ship and all her crew and service people. Everyone worked very hard and tried to make our trip very safe and enjoyable. The ship was beautiful and I found the dining room food to be generally good. I didn’t spend much time at the buffet but in the morning I liked the breakfast omelet stations over the scrambled eggs. Breakfast in the dining room was good too.

My only complaint was on the sea days, people would rush up in the morning and throw their book and towel on a lounge chair and reserve it all day while they disappeared. It seemed like 100% of the lounge chairs were in use but 75% of the lounge chairs would be empty save for a towel and book.

I would be happy to go into more detail if anyone has any questions.

Could you tell me what night were the formal nights?? We want to book Harry's but did not want to do it a day we were at port or on the formal nights.

The last time we were on the Liberty they were good around the pool about not letting people save chairs..

Did they have the "Cure" walk that I have read about???

Thank you for your answers. We will be doing this cruise in March.

Could you tell me what night were the formal nights?? We want to book Harry's but did not want to do it a day we were at port or on the formal nights.

The last time we were on the Liberty they were good around the pool about not letting people save chairs..

Did they have the "Cure" walk that I have read about???

Thank you for your answers. We will be doing this cruise in March.

There were two formal nights, the second night out and one later in the week, day 7 at sea I think. We were out for 8 nights. The two formal nights were both after days at sea. There were 9 at our table and 5 were men. On the formal nights one guy wore a tux. I wore a coat and tie. One guy wore just a tie. The other two wore just dress shirts.

I am glad to hear on your cruise the Liberty people did a better job with saving lounge chairs. It was my only real complaint.

Yes they did have a crue walk upon the running track.

You will have a lot of fun, we did. :D

Thank you , you have been helpful.!! I made reservations at Harrys for the middle of the week!!!

I am a walker and really wanted to do that walk that I have heard so much about!!

I am glad we have an aft balcony this cruise, I guess if we can't find a chair we can go back there!!!

Thanks again!!

Archived