Touring European Cities...Solo?

teach2travel

I would like some advice from all you solo travelers. I am booked on the Freedom this June, for the 12 day Grand Mediterranian...my first solo trip! I was on this ship last summer, so I know the ship. My problem is that when I read about shore excursions...most people recommend walking around the city yourself, or using the hop on-hop off. Since I will be by myself, I am kinda nervous about that! I may be forced to do the ships tours, but would rather not...and the cost of private tour operaters (especially for 1) is soo expensive. I have checked my roll call, and nothing is being planned yet. I am such a planner.

I was in several of these places last year w/ no problems, but I was with someone else. Should I be worried about walking around Florence, Dubrivnik, Barcelona, Cannes, Venice by myself? Appreciate your advice :)

Hi Teach2travel,

I have traveled alone in Venice and Barcelona. I am very comfortable in Venice, but I am VERY alert in Barcelona. I try not to carry a purse, or at least not to carry anything of real value. I wear a money belt under my clothes, which works fine and gives me a real sense of security. Be very careful on the subways and in the stations. All this is not meant to discourage you from visiting Barcelona, since it is one of my favorite cities in Europe. Just be aware of people around you.

Anne

The only city I worry about is Barcelona. I've walked around all the others by myself, and never felt threatened. But Barcelona is a different story. If you're going to places like Parque Guell or La Segrada Familia, I wouldn't take a purse or wear any jewelry. I would keep everything of necessity in one of those small pouches that you wear under your clothes.

I was cautious in Barcelona, also. I wore a money belt and also used a PacSafe. It's a purse (okay guys, messenger bag...) that comes in different sizes. The straps are reinforced with a metal mesh - so a thief cannot cut the strap and run off with your bag. Lots of buckets that are secured by velcro and buckles. Even a port so you can put your ipod in the bag and listen to tours that you downloaded. I took 2 cameras and there was plenty of room for both of them when I stopped for a breather. And no, it is not heavy! The HOHO is great, but be sure to wear sunscreen - I had a farmer's tan (burn) at the end of the day!

Florence is very walkable. It seemed to be safe. I was there in July and it was very crowded - my PacSafe was very handy for purchases. I can't wait to go back to Florence - one of my two favorite places (the other was Sorrento).

I don't know about your other ports, but if you have an ipod, check itunes for free downloads - Italian lessons and walking tours, among others - and they are free (a solo traveler's dream come true, since we usually pay a bit more than others travelers!).

Enjoy your trip -

Liz

(...)I wouldn't take a purse or wear any jewelry. I would keep everything of necessity in one of those small pouches that you wear under your clothes.

A passport belt with your valuables such as ID, credit card and money is a good idea under your clothes but I always bring a small unexpensive purse too and put some little things I might need (chapstick, sunscreen, a bit of money) because I wouldn't reach to my passport belt in front of a store clerk or anything. I just take the money (low amount as I said) in my purse and when I go to the bathroom or store changing room, I put more money or a credit card in my purse if I need it. Also, a pick pocket will think he has my valuables if he steels my purse but in fact, he does not.

Thanks, all of you, for the support and suggestions! I feel more confident now about striking out on my own!

Feel confident, but be prepared. The other posters here have given good advice in this thread. I'm headed to Barcelona in May, so this is a good review for me too!

All the big European cities are filled with petty thieves and pick pockets awaiting their prey: unwary tourists. My worst experience was in Florence. We were with a tour group of about 12-15 other people when we suddenly noticed that an elderly gentleman who was bringing up the rear in our group had been surrounded by a band of gypsy children and their leader (the infamous woman carrying a baby) who were attempting to cut him off from the group and rob him. Our street wise Italian tour guide quickly told us all to chase them away by screaming at them and kicking them. It may sound harsh, but it worked!

I've traveled solo in Barcelona, Rome, and Paris, among other cities. Although I was cautious, I had my wallet lifted in Barcelona. So do be prepared! However, don't worry unnecessarily. Although pickpocketing is rampant, violence is extremely rare.

I find that I actually enjoy myself more when I can move at my own pace, see what I want to see, and soak up impressions on my own!

Archived