Question about Surcharge Restaurants

HighSeaslover

Do the surcharge restaurants charge per person or per plate. I recently had a LapBand surgery and therefore can not eat much. Now when we (hubby & me) go out for dinner we share a plate, that way there is no waste. I was wondering if we wanted to go to some of the surcharge places if they would allow this also.

Thanks!

i thought i was per entree. i know you can get more of the apps, salads, soups, veggies and desserts with no charge. i know kids can eat from the kid's menu for free...but i don't know about sharing a entree? we share meals out, all the time. but we haven't done it on the ship...since we are trying to compare different food items.

The surcharge is definitely per person. However you could ask if only one person orders any food, can you share a plate.

As with land-based restaurants, some places allow this and others don't. My feeling is that they won't like doing this, but I have not heard the question here before.

Toyz711 is correct. It is per entree. You can go to a specialty restaurant and eat all the apetizers, salads, soups, side dises and desserts that you want, but if you order an entree, you are charged. My parents shared a meal this past summer on the Pearl and they were only charged one cover charge and they both had an apetizer, salad and dessert. The waiter brought them one steak but two baked potatoes and two plates.

I was wondering if it was possible to make a reservation for a specialty restaurant (i.e. chin chins) and only eat the appetizers, soups and desserts and not have to order a main entree. Since I did not consume the main entree, there should be no surcharge. Would the staff frown upon that or are there others who have done this? I would like to try the different specialty restaurants earlier in the evening and then go to main dining for dinner. Thank you for the help. Im looking forward everything aboard the Jewel...

The allure of the specialty restaurant is a lot more than the entree. The service is superb. There are fantastic desserts. The ambience is more refined. The appetizers are better. You are trying to tell me that you can get all of that upscale service and food free if you skip (or split) the entree? I find that hard to swallow.

If everyone could halve the cover charge simply by ordering one entree and sharing it, and filling up on everything else, wouldn't everyone do it? I know I would!! Heck, with one entree per person I can hardly handle dessert. I'd gladly go for a half portion.

This plate sharing and cover charge saving technique sounds like a really bad idea to me (from NCL's point of view), and if this is allowed, I think it will diminish the "special" part of the specialty restaurant. I hope this is not true, but I guess I will try it and see on my next cruise. If others can get away with it, guess I will too, until they wise up and stop it.

The allure of the specialty restaurant is a lot more than the entree. The service is superb. There are fantastic desserts. The ambience is more refined. The appetizers are better. You are trying to tell me that you can get all of that upscale service and food free if you skip (or split) the entree? I find that hard to swallow.

If everyone could halve the cover charge simply by ordering one entree and sharing it, and filling up on everything else, wouldn't everyone do it? I know I would!! Heck, with one entree per person I can hardly handle dessert. I'd gladly go for a half portion.

This plate sharing and cover charge saving technique sounds like a really bad idea to me (from NCL's point of view), and if this is allowed, I think it will diminish the "special" part of the specialty restaurant. I hope this is not true, but I guess I will try it and see on my next cruise. If others can get away with it, guess I will too, until they wise up and stop it.

For the reason of the better appetizers is why I want to try the specialties. After a few snacks there I would go to my main dining room and get right to the entree. Im sure many have done it before. I have my cruise in 11 weeks so I will be sure to test the waters..

For the reason of the better appetizers is why I want to try the specialties. After a few snacks there I would go to my main dining room and get right to the entree. Im sure many have done it before. I have my cruise in 11 weeks so I will be sure to test the waters..

Let us know. My point is that it is mighty tacky to enter a restaurant and use the services and not pay for them. Whether they permit it or not, it's tacky.

The additional charges are termed "cover charges" by NCL on the menus and the Welcome Aboard brochure. Normally, a "cover charge" is paid in order to ENTER a bar, restaurant, etc. Sharing I might see them permitting but not just coming in to eat everything but entrees, taking up the wait staffs' time, not to mention displacing someone who will actually pay? I just don't see it (and I agree, it's tacky). Imagine a huge group coming in and doing this! :eek:

To the OP, I think they would be glad to accomodate you.

I thought the surcharge was charged per person in order to 1. limit the number of users and 2. to go as tips to the crew working in the restaurant. Also, I thought some of the entrees came with an extra charge.

If that is correct, then I can not see the specialty restaurant(s) wanting to serve people who aren't paying, taking up space from paying customers, and using up the specially made food. :confused: They would be overrun if grazing were allowed :D .

To the OP, if you pay the $20 (or whatever the charge is) per person, I wouldn't think the restaurant would mind if you and your spouse shared.

"Since I did not consume the main entree, there should be no surcharge. "

I've been posting and researching on these boards for a few years now, and this might be the wackiest thing I have ever seen suggested. Is this a joke? I can't imagine any decent, respectful person trying to pull this off. I sincerely hope this request is flatly denied, because it is OUTRAGEOUS!! The charge in these specialty restaurants is not to merely cover the entree, it is for the ambience, the service, and YES! shockingly enough, the apps and sides as well. If you want the experience, then pay for it. If not, then eat in the dining room. But don't try to worm out of paying based on the wording of "per entree."

I do understand this poster may be a novice to cruising, but please!! Common Sense!!!

"Since I did not consume the main entree, there should be no surcharge. "

I've been posting and researching on these boards for a few years now, and this might be the wackiest thing I have ever seen suggested. Is this a joke? I can't imagine any decent, respectful person trying to pull this off. I sincerely hope this request is flatly denied, because it is OUTRAGEOUS!! The charge in these specialty restaurants is not to merely cover the entree, it is for the ambience, the service, and YES! shockingly enough, the apps and sides as well. If you want the experience, then pay for it. If not, then eat in the dining room. But don't try to worm out of paying based on the wording of "per entree."

I do understand this poster may be a novice to cruising, but please!! Common Sense!!!

You do what you want and I will do As I want. All they can say is "No." Is the person who shared an entree and thus paying "half price" performing something OUTRAGEOUS as well? I may be a novice to cuising, but in life there are loopholes to everything. NCL has charged me well more than they should for the cruise. You do not know me so saying I am not decent, respectful and have no common sense is not appreciated. I was only posing a question to the group to see if this is something that has been done or is allowed. I was not inquiring your input to my moral or social standards.

Thank you...

Let us know. My point is that it is mighty tacky to enter a restaurant and use the services and not pay for them. Whether they permit it or not, it's tacky.

I can't imagine any decent, respectful person trying to pull this off. I sincerely hope this request is flatly denied, because it is OUTRAGEOUS!! The charge in these specialty restaurants is not to merely cover the entree, it is for the ambience, the service, and YES! shockingly enough, the apps and sides as well. If you want the experience, then pay for it. If not, then eat in the dining room. But don't try to worm out of paying based on the wording of "per entree."

I certainly hope the two of you never get old...... My parents no longer can eat a full meal by themselves. They, like a lot of older people, now order one meal to share between them. Sometimes they will order extra sides....but usually, my dad eats the salad and my mom eats the potatoe. Sometimes then get a dessert to share between them, sometimes not.

Why? Not because they can't afford it as they certainly can. It's simply because they no longer can eat as much food. (they will both be 79 within the next few months.) They were also raised during the depression and WW2 and were taught not to waste food. Two full meals on a cruise line (or many restaurants) mean that alot of food will be ordered and not eaten and hence have to be thrown out. To them, that is more wrong than sharing a meal.

On the Pearl this past summer, they shared a meal in Cagney's. They each got a salad/soup and they each got a side and they each got a dessert. They got one entree and split it....and guess what...were charged ONE cover charge and no one said a thing!

It is not tacky..... it is conservative. Why waste food?? What is tacky and disgusting is people who waste food!

Paying for ambiance??????? That may just be the funniest (or most arrogant) thing ever said on these boards!

If you make a reservation for 2 at a specialty, It is 10 or 20 dollars PER PERSON and it doesnt matter if you order double app. or double or triple dessert they only charge you for the 10 or 20 dollar per person charge....I dont know if you share one charge cause we never tried that....:o

I was not responding to the thread about sharing. But I am curious if those who share, since it is not a money issue, will object to paying full price for 2 people, since the concern is the waste of food.

And yes, loopholes are always there. And whether you choose to exploit them or not is most certainly your choice.

And if you think you're not paying for ambience, then, ummmmm, look around. You can get a cheeseburger at McDonalds for a buck, and it's not too bad. You can also get a cheeseburger at a fancier restaraunt for $10 or $15 dollars. You're not just paying for more or better beef, you are paying for every fixture (ie: ambience) in the restaurant. So it's not arrogant to state that you pay for ambience, it's fact.

Enough said... at least for me... the rest of you are welcome to duke it out over this one!!

My wife & I usually share entrees at restaurants. We don't eat alot (me even less so due to medical issues) and sharing our food works out well for us. Too bad that restaurants don't allow adults to order off the kid's menu--portions are smaller & better suited for persons who do not eat so much. Servers that split one entree order into halves on each of two plates get a very, very nice tip. If they bring an extra empty plate, they still get a nice, above average tip--not as good as the split entree. (still 18-20% or more).

When we go on the Alaska cruise, we plan to nicely ask the staff of the speciality restaurants if we can share our food. If they want to charge per person, that will be OK.

We got out to eat 2-3 times a week. I wish that they would have menu choices for smaller portions. Allow lighter eaters order off the senior or kid's menu. Alot of restaurants don't even have senior (or smaller portion) entrees. Recently, I ordered off the senior menu and I only ate less than half of it. Since I was close to home, I took the rest home.

Bottom line: Ask the speciality restaurant if it is OK to share the meal? It will be up to the restaurant if they charge for two or one. I would leave it up to them.

• Administrators
Do the surcharge restaurants charge per person or per plate. I recently had a LapBand surgery and therefore can not eat much. Now when we (hubby & me) go out for dinner we share a plate, that way there is no waste. I was wondering if we wanted to go to some of the surcharge places if they would allow this also.

Thanks!

Wow a lot of heat between the above and here! ;) To answer the actual, literal question, "sharing a plate" shouldn't be a problem. What MIGHT be is how the surcharge applies, since it is per person. Contrary to some of the suggestions above for "working the system," and no offense to CruizeVirgin, I don't believe for one second that a ship would allow a party to sit for 2-4 hours and eat salads, appetizers, desserts, etc. but never order an entree and pay zero, because the surcharge is based on the entree. That's not common sense or reasonable, especially in limited capacity restaurants.

But I do believe the ship would take a request phrased as the OP did and make some kind of accommodation. Maybe granting the OP a 50% discount on the surcharge? The bottom line is... ask. Contact Special Needs ahead of time to see if they can help. If not, find the maitre'd on boarding and ask. Be friendly, reasonable, and don't be waving a laptop and screaming "I'll be reporting about this on X website!" You might be pleasantly surprised at the cooperation and accommodation you receive. :)

Archived