LIVE FROM THE DECKS OF: BILLIANCE OF THE SEAS - Let's Compare it to X!

tuggers

Raining today in Ocho Rios so I'm near Margaritaville, didn't stay on the ship as I had Planned. Got quite a deal on a Margaritaville Denim Jacket - $20 marked down from $50! Best deal on the whole cruise!! Now I'm going to walk back there and drink a few Mango Margarita's.

Ooooooh. Their mango margaritas are soooooo good! Lucky you!!:cool:

Gail - I got the same error message when I tried to email you. I also got an error message when I tried to email Cliff, hopefully Judy's will go through.

Without you to talk some sense into me I booked the Glory for Sept. 20. You're more than welcome to c ome along.

Terri

There have been some high winds in southern Georgia -- maybe it knocked out cable service as mine was during the recent ice storm here in Oklahoma.

What year in September for the Glory? Aren't we still doing the Grandeur in October of this year? I am.

love

joan

Gail.........John asks for and receives baked potato every cruise night. He sometimes asks for shrimp cocktail on "off" nights, and sometimes gets it and other nights doesn't. Those great little triangle rolls......our assistant waiter brought me a whole basket of them on Jewel!!!!!! He always gave me three to start with.

As for the perks for Diamond level, we did get the "coupon book", a small plate of cookies one formal night, and chocolate covered strawberries one night. We were invited to a Diamond/diamond+ party, and some other special event we missed, due to timing. We also had waiting some canapes one day we came back from an all day excursion, which we didn't eat. We thought they had needed refrigeration. We also received a nicer tote bag one night. I don't recall receiving the shampoos, conditioners and bath gel except on the Rhapsody of the Seas or maybe it was on Explorer. They do have Celebrity beat with the concierge lounge........ Personally, I like the little extras on Celebrity, but I like the huge ships with so much to do on the Voyager and Freedom class ships. I do think food quality has been great on some RCI ships lately and not so good on others....same as with Celebrity, though. I like afternoon tea on Celebrity, and the ice show on RCI.........I guess any ship, going anywhere would be better than today.....we had tornadoes in the area. 73 degrees for the high and dropping to the 40's tonight. Enjoy your warm weather!

1/08/2008 Brilliance of the Seas Day 7

Arrived in Ocho Rios to RAIN!!!!! Will our luck never change with the weather? At least we are not at the James Bond Pier (that’s the horrible one in the industrial area), we’re at the Main Pier which is the one with the winding dock that brings you out about ¼ go ½ mile from Island Village. Carnival’s Imagination got the PRIME (???) spot at the ugly pier!

Went to the dining room for breakfast and sat with a wonderful couple I had sailed with on the Horizon. We had a nice conversation about that ship and Bermuda while eating. I had the Lox and Bagel since I have not had it this trip.

Decided to get off the ship and look for Internet to see if my server was really down or if there was another problem. The rain was intermittent but heavy at times. I lucked out and managed to walk between the raindrops and not get wet.

First I went to Island Village and Margaritaville. Found a lady who had been there six years and knew Jackie, my friend who worked her way up from waitress to trainer to restaurant manager at Margaritaville. Jackie is now in Grand Turk so anyone going there let me know so I can send her good wishes! I also got her email address so am going to try that.

In Margaritaville I found a bargain! An embroidered denim jacket, marked down from $50 (or $75, the tag wasn’t too clear) to $22. Gabbed that, of course.

Off to find Internet. It is down the street about a block from Island Village and on the right. $8 per hour to use their computer (they only have two) or plug in your laptop, $4 half hour, $2 a quarter hour. Still couldn’t get into my email so bought a calling card and called home. Got everything taken care of so should be able to use my email later today.

Went back to Island Village and Margaritaville. Picked up my jacket that they were holding for me, then lunch. No swim up bar for me. The rain was always just around the corner. Two Mango Margaritas and Black Bean Soup. Soup was not good so got an order of fries. They were good. Should have gotten a burger or the nachos. Those are the best things on the menu.

More rain but again made it back without getting wet. There is no shopping right near the ship anymore. Used to be a little shop right before you went through customs but they’ve built a new customs building and the shop has become offices. Oh well, I didn’t need to buy anything!

It was 3:30 by the time I got back on the ship. On the walk back met a group of people with a man on a stretcher. Not sure what the problem was but they had their luggage. This makes three people I’ve seen taken off on stretchers or in ambulances. Also, when I got back onboard, I saw my first hand sanitizers in use. Do we have a breakout of ‘the virus’? Haven’t heard anything to lead me to believe we’re in code red.

Just chilled until six then went up to the Concierge Lounge for a glass of wine. The show tonight is Marty Allen and his wife, Karon Kate at 7 PM. I got there about 7:15 and had missed her singing but she was just introducing Marty. He is a very rapid fire kind of comedian. One thing he said was they’ve put expiration dates on condoms. He can’t take the pressure. Then he said he once had a job as a prune taster. It was a good job. He worked one day on and two days off. That kind of humor. Very clean, but funny.

Turns out the wife is also a pretty darn good entertainer in her own right. She sings, plays piano and straight man to some of his jokes. Her Beattles medley was very good. Show lasted till 8 PM so it was straight off to the dining room after that.

I must say, this was the most disappointing dinner of all. It was an Italian dinner. I had the Risotto w/Scallops (very poorly seasoned) and the Broiled Tiger Prawns (which came with rice but I asked for a baked potato). Glad I asked for that potato as it was my dinner! The prawns were horrid! Three head on, feelers on, eyes on prawns, cooked within an inch of their lives and lumped altogether on a plate.! Most unappetizing thing I’ve seen in a long time and NEVER before on a cruise ship! I took the meat out of all three and it barely filled a tablespoon. I tried one bite and I was finished. My tablemate had the Caprisi Salad which came with no dressing and none was ever offered. Her Chicken Marsala was made, according to her, with chopped, formed and breaded chicken patties. It did look pretty bad. Her daughter had the Rigatoni Pasta w/ Sausage. It turned out to be shells with a horrid sauce. Dinner was not enjoyed by anyone. Best part was the Warm Chocolate Cake with ice cream. It wasn’t warm but was pretty good. They have also gone to a 2 ounce scoop for ice cream so I didn’t have to fear wrecking my diet with the added ice cream!

Dinner was indeed a disaster and everyone was talking about it as we walked out of the dining room. People could not believe they would put out such a terrible dinner. I heard one person say that the Lamb Shank was okay, not good, just okay. That was the most positive thing I heard. How sad!

Last night I had been shown a bottle of wine that was sent to me as a gift. It is a regular, wine list wine, selling for $26. I wanted to upgrade that bottle to a $37 Pinot Noir and pay the difference. Cellar Master said no. Mind you this is a man who does a wine tasting of six wines and uses TWO glasses, one for white, one for red. Not my favorite person right off. Anyway, I thought the upgrade issue was ridiculous (I mean they are basically turning down a sale!), so today I wrote a note to the Associate Hotel Director, who on this line, serves as Food and Beverage Manager. I thought I might hear something during dinner but did not. I am awaiting the answer on this one!

Turned in my tip form today and for the FIRST time in my cruising history, which adds up to quite a few cruises, I am NOT tipping extra to anyone except Angela up in the Concierge Lounge. Other that her I don’t think anyone has gone the extra mile. I think most hardly went the basic mile. Not one other person has done anything that would make me want to add any extra to their tip. Sorry, flame me if you will, but I don’t think anyone on this ship deserves a bonus tip!

Off now to turn in my Luggage Valet form before midnight. It’s $20 but so nice not to have to check in and leave here with nothing but a carry-on! I love it! Wish every port and every airline participated!

This awful dinner is certainly going to live in my memory when I remember this cruise. They must have known how bad it was! Why wouldn’t they try to fix it before it was served? I’m at a loss!

Oh well, walked over 5 miles today so it’s Milk (skim) and Cookies time! Calling room service! Hope it’s not another hour and a half for delivery. They did call me Mrs. S again. Hope they are using her credit card for my extras! I think that’s fair, don’t you?

Bye For Now.

Yes, I am still on the Grandeur for October 2008.

Glory? You HATED the food on it! We have onboard credits on RCI… OMG! You

NEED me around!

The Mango Margaritas were great, the Black Bean Soup less so! I should have stuck with burgers of nachos!!!

Email is all fixed but I did miss some so if you sent me something you’ll have to resend it.

Kay, I’m not going to starve, believe me! I’m just used to a certain standard. Like this little thing I find annoying. Not ONCE during this trip has the waiter or asst waiter moved our dessert service in to it’s proper place after the entrée. They leave it at the top of the plate and you get to move it around.

Concierge Lounge is the greatest perk I’ve every come across!

All ships have their good and bad points. It’s what makes us love one over the over. I like RCCL. I love X. RCCL has a lot to learn about food and service and letting the bean-counters run things. X has a lot to learn about honoring long time customers and letting the bean-counters run things! Both need to stop the nickel and dime-ing us to death trend.

At the end of the day, a bad day on a cruise ship is still better than most anything I can think of. I’m not going to stop cruising because of a few little bumps in the road. If anyone is reading this and thinks I’m not having a good time, you are sadly mistaken! I am having a ball! But I will continue to point out things that can be done better, the absurd ‘new rules’ the Miami office comes up with and the just plain tell me it ain’t so things.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks, Wes! But it's not so hard to have a good attitude when you can look out the window and see the ocean! Makes it all worth while!

Today is the private island. Praying for good weather for this one! I need a little warm sand between my toes!:D

There have been some high winds in southern Georgia -- maybe it knocked out cable service as mine was during the recent ice storm here in Oklahoma.

What year in September for the Glory? Aren't we still doing the Grandeur in October of this year? I am.

love

joan

Still doing the Grandeur in October. I was already doing the glory on Sept 27 and was looking to do something the week before as well. I was looking at other things but it just made sense to do a btb on Glory, I won't have to go from one port to another.

I know I didn't care for the food on Glory in the dining room last time, but I think it was our server not getting the food to us before it got cold more than anything. The buffets, deli sandwiches and particularly room service were all very good.

Terri

Tuggers:

I think you reported guests talking about a marked difference between CHOPS and Portofino with Portofino being better than the former. This happened to us on Freedom. CHOPS paled in comparison to Portofino.

Does Chops have meat, e.g. chops or roasts? We are thinking of trying one of the two restaurants for the first time. I love anything Italian and seafood but my DH can't eat seafood and leans towards meat and potatoes.

Thanks

Kathy:)

Tell Angela hello - we were on her last sailing in Sept before she took break - we went up every night to have a drink (we aren't Diamond Plus so we had to wait till later - I think she'll remember us - tell her Kathy & Kent said hello - he's the one who ordered his rum & cokes & she made me a fantastic Cosmo one night - I usually drink scotch. Hands down she was the BEST!!! We had so much fun with her - tell her we hope to sail with her again!!

Sorry it sounds like your cruise hasn't been up to par - we had a fabulous cruise in Sept to the Med - no really big issues except with room service - other than that it was our best cruise ever and we've sailed Celebrity & RCCL. Maybe things are different on a Med cruise.

Kathy

Tuggers, you've mentioned several times that you visisted the CL on the 12th or 13th deck. Did they convert the C&A lounge or some other lounge into a second CL? If so, where did the Loyalty Ambassador have his/her office? You are correct - the Concierge Lounge is the best perk that RCCL offers. We sailed aboard the Grandeur last September and missed the CL terribly (you'll miss it as well in October). So much so, that even though the ship sailed out of of our home town (Baltimore), we won't sail aboard her again, and the CL has been, up to this point, the discriminator between RCCL and other lines.

1/09/2008 Brilliance f the Seas Day 8

Today was a beautiful day! I awoke to sun and blue water, anchored off the peninsula

of Labadee, Haiti. I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to a warm day on the beach.

Had breakfast in the dining room. Fruit, Cereal with bananas and an English muffin.

I was on the second tender to the beach at 8:40. Easy, 5 minute ride over on a large tender that held 300 people. The tender pulled up to a dock that lowers a gangway as wide as the tender and makes getting off very easy for the able and the disabled. Sand was well packed on paths and easy to navigate.

I chose a beach to the left of the tender area where there were little to no rocks in the water. I got a lounge chair, staked out an area with a scrawny tree, not enough to give shade but providing a place to hang a beach bag, cover-up and beach float. I settled down with my Tami Hoag book and enjoyed the warmth for about an hour. I tried to do the walking course but found the signs directing you to the paths to be hard to follow and wound up just walking over the island.

Back at my lounger I went in the water to cool off. That wasn’t hard as the water was a little brisk. Not cold really, just a little chilly when you first went in. Bottom was sandy with a little sea weed but not many rocks. I had my float and I stayed in the water for a good while. Then back to my chair and my book. God, I LOVE the beach!

Around noon I went in search of lunch. It was the standard private island fare: burgers, hot dogs, ribs, chicken, beans and rice, corn on the cob, a few salads, some cakes and cookies. The only disappointing thing was that the daily clearly stated ‘drinking water is available by the glass at all bars and cafes’. When I asked for water at the café where lunch was being served I was told that the only water available was for purchase by the bottle. I think this is very poor. You are on a beach, hot, thirsty and they are going to charge you for water. Seems like the bean-counters again to me. We are a captive audience so milk us for what they can.

Otherwise, the day was lovely. You could not have asked for a better day. After the weather we have had on this cruise, it was very welcome indeed. I stayed at the beach for about six hours and got back onboard around 3 PM. Early enough to take a shower and rest and read until six.

Went to the Concierge Lounge at 6:15. Angela is such a nice person. She is fun, professional and very good at mixing drinks. As the only bartender in that large a venue, she keeps her head and her good humor while serving us quickly and efficiently. Angela is the best!

The show was early, 7 PM. It was a pair of, I believe, Tango dancers. I decided to stay in the lounge so can’t offer any insight into the show.

Dinner did not get rave reviews from the people I talked to who had early dinner. They said the Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia was not good and neither was the Pasta with Mussels.

With that in mind, I tried the Beef Shoulder Roast (two small slices and about a 2 to 3 ounce scoop of mashed potatoes) and Jalapeno Potato Soup. Both were pretty good although the soup was VERY spicy. Dessert was a trio of chocolate things: cheesecake, cake and a white chocolate cream thingee. All were good. Portions do seem to be smaller on this ship so if you have a hearty appetite either order multiple courses or two entrees.

Once again, with the soup, I asked for another of the tiny ‘savory’ rolls but it never appeared. Waiter is very pleasant although when I talked to other people about the Tiger Shrimp fiasco from last night, most said their waiters warned them off of that choice. Ours told us it was one of the better entrees. Go figure!

Yesterday I had written a letter to Ariel Becker, Associate Hotel Director who functions as the Food and Beverage Manager about the issue with the gift wine. If you will recall, I received a bottle of white wine which is on their wine list for $26 and was bought through Royal Caribbean. I asked to ‘upgrade’ to a red wine for $37 and pay the difference. Tonight, the Head Waiter for our table came with a ‘message’ from Ariel Becker. The message was that this was not possible. It had been a ‘rule’ for many years and they would not deviate from it.

I was upset on two levels with this response. First, when I feel strongly enough about something to take time out of my vacation to write a letter, I feel it is extremely rude and unprofessional to ‘send a message’ through a third party. He’s not the President of the United States! He could have called or sent me a note.

And second, I still don’t have a reason why this is so impossible. To say ‘we’ve always done it this way’ is, to me, not an adequate response. Hello! I’m trying to GIVE them MORE money! Not get something for free!

So tonight I sat down and wrote a letter to the Captain. Probably won’t do any good but I had to try. As it stands now I will just take my bottle of wine home with me. How sad is that???

Went to the movies after dinner. Blades of Glory was playing which is not exactly my cup of tea, but the theater is pleasant and I enjoyed seeing a movie on a ship!

Bye For Now.

They have a very small CL on deck 10 and a larger one on deck 13 in an area that is a cigar bar later in the night. Deck 13 is the better one because it has a bar and Angela! Loyalty guy as still in that kind of open area on deck 12 I think it is.

I have to agree that the CL is a great perk, probably the best one going and to chose a ship based on it having a CL is, IMO, a good choice.

People seem very shocked that Chops is not up to par (yes Kay, it is more meat and potatoes) because they have had good experiences with Chops on other ships. Everyone I’ve talked to has enjoyed Portofino’s.

As I said before, the cruise is very nice. There are no issues that are large enough to ruin the enjoyment of the cruise. The things I have written about are just things that I am pointing out for your information. It is still a great cruise!

Tuggers, you're wine bottle war strikes a chord with me! We were recently on Brilliance, and had done the prepaid gratuities for the dining room and stateroom attendant. We ended up eating at Chops every night rather than in the dining room, and so went to guest services to ask whether we could give the gratuities to the Chops staff as we had the same servers every night and they did an outstanding job with us. Not possible, nor could we get a refund. We'd have to go back to our TA to arrange a refund. The concierge, Katherine, tried going all the way up to the ship's Financial Officer and still no go. We also found out that it didn't matter whether we gave the slips of paper to the dining room staff or not. They would still receive the gratuities. Apparently these were the rules and they couldn't/wouldn't change them. As of this writing, we still don't have our money back.

On other issues throughout the sail, we constantly heard, "that's the rule".

Our experience on Brilliance in June during the Europe cruise was very different than our experience during the Christmas cruise. So far, most of what you've experienced, we did too.

Glad you're still having a good time and I've enjoyed looking for updates to this thread everyday!

1/10/2008 Brilliance of the Seas Day 9

I was up early this morning and, being the ‘smart’ person that I am, I went to breakfast in the dining room. And because I have been so good on this cruise, food wise, I decided to treat myself to French toast and bacon. Along with tomato juice and two cups of coffee, I was pretty full.

I went out on deck, got my towels all arranged, then leaving my blue RCI bag with my book and lotions, I went down to GR to see if my shareholder credits had finally been applied (they had) and then went back up to deck 12. In that amount of time it had rained, no, flooded, wetting my towel to the soggy stage. My back was soaked but apparently those bags are waterproof (who knew?) because everything inside was perfectly dry.

Changed out the towel for a dry one and headed for the Solarium pool. I was congratulating myself on finding a nice padded chair right by the pool and had just picked up my book when I looked at my watch. 8:45. Then it hit me! Diamond and Diamond Plus Brunch at 9! You guessed it! I was out of there like a shot, in my cabin and changed and standing in line before they opened the Colony Club! Pretty amazing, huh? Just wave free Bloody Mary’s my way and I’m there.

I went in and found a great table aft with sofas and a view of the wake. I had no intention of getting anything to eat except a couple of fancy cookies. Until the lady across from me came back with a plate containing Filet Mignon. Okay, so I had to have a little piece of that. It was wonderful. The buffet contained all the regular fruits, pastries, etc plus quiche, spinach w/phylo dough, potatoes w/caramelized onions, bacon, sausage and the filet plus the fancy cookies and small éclairs. GREAT! And they kept circulating with the drinks. I was glad I went because I had never been to one of the brunches before.

Came back to my cabin to find my CS all atwitter! The Captain of the Vessel had been to see me and asked to be called when I returned. You have never seem such a whirlwind job of cleaning up a cabin in your life! I think my closet is now two feet deep in the stuff that was scattered around! He came back in about 15 minutes and told me he was sorry my concerns had not been properly addressed after I had written to the Associate Hotel Director and that, if the situation was as I had written to him (which of course it is), he did not see the problem. He promised me that he would take the issue up with the Hotel Director and said I would be hearing back from one of them.

I am, of course, hoping for a resolution in my favor but all I ever asked was that a reasonable person look at the policy. IF I am allowed to upgrade my wine I would have much preferred to have it done when I had two nights left so I could have enjoyed the entire bottle myself, two glasses per evening, but I will be glad to share with my new friends at our table. I was mightily impressed that the Captain himself made a cabin visit!

Here are my thoughts on the wine situation....I can get the rule as long as the logic is such that it is impossible for the cruiseline to authenticate that the bottle being returned is an actual bottle that was issued and is safe for consumption.

If you think about it, its entirely possible that the returned bottle could have been compromised once it left the custody of the cruiseline. I am guessing if I reveived a gift from someone that if I tried to return it to the store it came from I would be met with the same resisitance.

Not taking sides at all, I do undertsand Gail's desire to get enjoy the wine of her choice, and if it was me I'd want the swap too....just trying to find the logic in the rule, but probably there is some sort of license and regulation that may be part of the equation that is totally beyond compromise by the cruise line.

Hi Tuggers

You don't know me, I'm usually a lurker who has thoroughly enjoyed all of your "from the decks of". Whatever you do, please finish this review - I now really need to know what happens to this poor little bottle of wine:D

Thanks for the info, and a few chuckles along the way. Love your persistance as well as your obvious love of crusing.

Sharon

Hi Tuggers. Can hardly wait to hear about the outcome of the wine. Love it that the Captain came to your cabin rather than sending a note. Too bad your concern had to go to that high level before it was really heard.

BTW...I just got off the 12/18 Diamond Hawaii. My intent was to keep a daily journal and post in on the Princess board. I started out okay and did one day. Then my journaling fell by the wayside. You make it look so easy. I did write a review which is better than nothing. I, like so many others, enjoy your "live from the decks of...." and thank you for taking the time to write and post.

Archived