one easy way to enjoy a self-tour in Taipei from Keelung

gene101

I know a lot of CC members are apprehended about touring Taipei on your own. Please don't! I was in the same boat when I first planned the tour but, after our family have done the tour on our own, I found it was one of the easiest to navigate on your own. Also, you get to learn how the local people live first hand!

Our ship, Princess Sapphire, docked at the Keelung port near the Keelung Railway Station. I am sure all other ships will dock around the same area, since Princess Sapphire is considered to be one of the biggest ship and can still dock close to town.

It took us about 10 minutes walk from the docking area to the railway station.

The docking area shaped like a letter "U" with the bottom part facing the town. our ship docked on one side of the U and the railway station is on the other side of the U.

Walk toward the other side of the "U" and you need to walk across a street via a overpass. You will find the Railway Station after the overpass.

The Railway Station was easily recognized.

Once inside the rather small Railway Station, walk to the right side. There are 2 windows for ticket purchase. The one on the right has label indicating the ticket personnel speaks English!

We then asked for the next train to Taipei which, in our case, is about 10 minutes wait. We purchased a return ticket. The ticket was 78 New Taiwan Dollar (NTD) return ticket per person. (1 $US is roughly $32 NTD).

Since Keelung Station is at the END of all the train lines, there should be no confusion to what platform to take.

The train took about 45 minutes to the Taipei Railway Station. The train was clean and not crowded at all. We mighty have past the rush hour time (about 9:30 am)?

Again the Taipei subway grid was one of the easiest to navigate. The "Taipei Main Station" is right next to the railway station terminal!.. Follow the sign to the Taipei MRT location and purchase a 1-day pass for $200 NTD per person. The pass is a magnetic card that you need to insert to the slot when entering the subway system and do it one more time when exit. With a 1-day pass you can go to most of the tourist sites with ease.

You should also ask for a MRT map from the counter.

First, you should allow about 1.5 hours for the return trip to Keelung so that you have plenty of time for unforeseeable problems in getting back. With that, you know what time you need to get back to this "Taipei Main Station".

Second, you have to determine which tourist sites you would like to visit and roughly calculated the time needed for each place, including traveling time. It really depends how much time you have in this port.

By the way, all stations were announced before the stop with Mandarin, Taiwanese, and English during the MRT traveling.

The followings are my suggestions:

a) National Palace Museum - this was the first site we visited. This site required taking the MRT to the "Shilin" Station and then call a taxi from the station to the Museum. The taxi ride was about $150 NTD one way and took about 15 minutes. Just point at any Naitonal Palace Museum pictures and the taxi driver understood. I personally think this is one site you shouldn't miss.

b) Pao An Temple and the Confucian Temple - From the "Shilin" station, we went south for 2 stops exiting on a station called "Yuanshan". Once out of the subway station, there was only one big street to follow. We followed the street (called KuLun Road). Count 2 large street blocks and you should see temples on your right side. First one was the Confucian Temple and opposite to this temple was the Pao An Temple. I suggest you google Pao An Temple to familiar yourself with the site.

c) Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall (now called Democracy Hall) - follow the same subway line to "Chang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall". There should be no confusion since you will see the site once you are out of the subway station.

d) Building 101 - we did not have time to visit this site. However, if you have the time, you then need to take the East/West line to "Taipei City Hall". My understanding is that there is a free shuttle bus from the subway station to the 101 building. If walking is not a problem (it probably takes 15 minutes walk), you should consult the map at the exit of the subway station to orientate yourself. Most walking will probably either overpasses or underground between high rise buildings.

I found it rewarding to be able to take the subway and travel with the locals. The subway was clean, easy to navigate and not crowded at all.

CC forum has been helping me for most of my cruise trips and this is a small way to give some back. Hope these will help some of you for your planning in traveling in Taipei!!

gene

We were also on the Sapphire, and want to note that while Gene is right about the ease of navigation, etc. - do be aware of your time and take one earlier train than you might think will get you back on time. We were on back to to back and on one of our stops in Taipei a party who did the same thing as Gene cut it too close, the train was late and they were left standing on the dock as the ship pulled away. They did manage to get on the pilot boat, and then had to climb up a rope ladder to get into the ship, but it wasn't a real pleasant interlude for any of them, I suspect.

Dear Gene,

I live in Taipei and want to congratulate you on taking the initiative and having the fortitude to try our mass transit system on your first visit. You are right that the MRT is very clean and easy and English abounds, but it can be intimidating. I am glad that you enjoyed this great city.

- Doug

Donna is right. There is a risk of not getting back to the port on time. However, if you devise a backup plan, the risk is very slim. Our family had been using local transportation in Europe and most of the ports of our Sapphire Princess trip without any problem.

in this case, your backup plan should be as follows:

1) The train ride or taxi drive from Taipei to Keelung is rougly 50 minutes. So allow yourself about 1.5 hours travel time from Taipei to Keelung on the way back to the port. If there is any problem with the train schedule, you can always call a taxi to the port.

2) There is also coach bus between Taipei and Keelung. Knows the location of the bus terminal and use the coach bus as an alternative to the train if necessary.

Again, once you have a backup plan, just enjoy you travel!!!!

gene

Archived