Suggestion for Celebrity re: Pets

Acey

I love my two dogs, but (being selfish here), I'm on vacation - which means not having to walk them, feed and hydrate them, pick up the 'business', brush their hair off the couch, etc.,etc. Of course, I worry about them a bit, but they're safer and more content in their 'doggie day spa' (which offers a web cam in each 'suite'!!) than in a cage with dozens of other dogs of varying degrees of friendliness and freedom from fleas, ticks and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a week on the Millenium and a passenger had

her Lhasa Apso dog with her. The dog was sitting on a chair in

the shops, in the dining room, in the hair salon and running the

beach at Labadee. No staff member would answer as to why

this was allowed. I'm a dog lover but I did not appreciate

having this dog on board. I'm all for service dogs and seeing

eye dogs but not a pampered pet.:mad:

I just returned from a week on the Millenium and a passenger had

her Lhasa Apso dog with her. The dog was sitting on a chair in

the shops, in the dining room, in the hair salon and running the

beach at Labadee. No staff member would answer as to why

this was allowed. I'm a dog lover but I did not appreciate

having this dog on board. I'm all for service dogs and seeing

eye dogs but not a pampered pet.:mad:

I'm certain this WAS a service dog or it would not have been allowed. Service animals help with a variety of ailments other than blindness (epilepsy, anxiety disorders, etc.) Just because you don't know what condition the dog was there to help with, doesn't mean that there wasn't a condition. And if this passenger satisfied a doctor and the cruise line that she required her dog, I fail to see how it is any of your concern...

I'm certain this WAS a service dog or it would not have been allowed. Service animals help with a variety of ailments other than blindness (epilepsy, anxiety disorders, etc.) Just because you don't know what condition the dog was there to help with, doesn't mean that there wasn't a condition. And if this passenger satisfied a doctor and the cruise line that she required her dog, I fail to see how it is any of your concern...

I have no problem with service dogs, our last two cruises on

RCCL have had a service dog and guide dog. All Celebrity had

to do was to answer everyone's question as to the "status"

of the dog. No one seemed to know why the dog was there.

There are laws concerning animals in establishments and

that was our concern--what applies on a ship?

I'm really not trying to be insulting here, but Celebrity doesn't owe you an explanation. Neither does the person traveling with the dog. If Celebrity allowed the dog on the ship, you can rest assured that any legal requirements necessary have been met. Beyond that, unless you have credentials as law enforcement and the cruise ship is within your jurisdiction, it is none of your business!

What if I was sailing with you, and I demanded to see a copy of your medical records? Would I have a right to that information? I don't think so. It doesn't matter that there is a law that says you're not allowed to travel if you have certain diseases (mad cow, bird flu, etc.). It is not my job nor my right to investigate this. Neither is it your right to investigate the reason behind the presence of the dog...

"No one seemed to know why the dog was there."

Uh... ever heard of health privacy laws (HIPAA)? You don't have any right to know, or ask, what condition the passenger has that required a service dog.

Here's a story about a cat named Sebastian who went to sea on the QM2 in May, 2006. There are pictures of the kennel, too. http://*****.blogspot.com/

Interesting thread! On our Galaxy TA last month the main thing most of the CC people had in common was their interest in their pets-- mostly dogs! That was all we talked about when we met.

Now, the reason to have a cruise ship that allows dogs is clear to me. My DH misses his doggy so much he mopes around from time to time.

If you had a designated poop deck (can't believe noone has used that line yet!) the urine issue can be easily resolved by having a rubber mat coating that is hosed down with a weak disinfectant every night.. just like dog shows and training arenas have.

Pets would have to stay with owners in their cabin or on leash at all times.

Some decks and elevators would be designated pet-free.

When you leave them in the cabin they would have to be kennelled to avoid escapes and allow that famous Celebrity service by the cabin attendants.

Everyone would have to sign a form that they know there are animals aboard and have no allergies, etc.

I am sure there are vets that would happily be on call in exchange for a free cruise. :D

I am not a dog fanatic, but give me almost any dog any day over a falling-down drunk loud foulmouthed human... and I have seen more than one of those on every cruise every night! (No, never me!:p )

Dogs might damage rooms... but have you seen the cigarette burns and other damage passengers do? ;)

I just got off the Millenium 4 days ago and there was a service dog onboard. It was incredibly well behaved and cute! Staff seemed excited to see other types of animals onboard. The lady the dog accompanied was not blind, but my understanding is some dogs can detect an epileptic seizure. I think it's great!

I have a dog and she would absolutely hate being in a kennel on a ship with momentary visits from me- which would break her heart each time I leave. She wouldn't enjoy being on a ship and I suspect that those crated on cruise ships would prefer being home to bobbing around on the ocean with no place to run and play.

When I go away- I have a house/pet sitter and my Dog feels secure. Dogs are very territorial and feel like a fish out of water in a different environment.

Archived