Suggestion for Celebrity re: Pets

Acey

I think it would be great if Celebrity offered a kennel onboard ship on one of the lower decks for customers like me that have a very difficult time leaving their pet home. I would be willing to pay $20 per day. Cruisers could go down and visit their pet while cruising. I understand they would not be permitted on other decks.

I would say there would be a huge demand for that kind of service! And I'm sure some employees would rather deal with dogs than humans at times - and dogs don't complain as much about service or food.

Thats my wish!

I love my two dogs, and two cats. But I really don't want to listen or smell several dogs and cats packed together. There is not any grass for them or other area to use for restroom. And then of course people would want to be walking them on deck and it would just cause all kinds of trouble.

Plus I know my pets are happier at home, with the pet sitter.

You're facing too many issues with something like that. I know that I'm highly allergic to cats, and I'm sure many other people have similar allergies. While I know the pets won't be allowed in public areas, it still would cause concern. I also know that many pets would not be happy cooped up for a week or longer in a cage. It's just better all around for the pets to be happy and secure at home.

In the unlikely event that a cruise line would ever implement a pet carrying service, I'd think it would be something more on the order of $50 or more per day (per pet). But I agree with other posters, animals are much happier at home, whether at your home with a sitter or even in a kennel. Years ago (over 50 years ago) we brought our small Japanese terrier home from Japan on a U.S. navy ship (that's how military and dependents were transported in the 50s), and in 1959 we took the same dog from San Francisco to Hawaii on the Lurline (military then put personnel and dependents on commercial cruise ships). I think that kind of thing is really a thing of the past!

Sam

We have thought about and discussed among ourselves (the War Department(aka Mrs. B) and myself) about taking our pooch with us on vacation. We love to cruise and cruising has been our main vacation for the last seven years.

We thought about the health issues and the space issues involved as well the pet potty considerations. It's doubtful that any mainstream cruise line will ever allow pets on a cruise. Furthermore the pets probably would not be allowed off he ship in port either. However, we feel that this (pet accompanied cruising) is a lucrative niche market for some enterprenurial cruise line. We would be willing to pay a premium for the pooch to accompany us if it was done right.

If I ran a conventional cruise line I would do a cost study about converting one of the cruise line's older and possibly smaller ships to accommodate pet accompanied cruising. If the numbers weren't too daunting I would take the risk and retrofit one of my smaller ships for this purpose.

There would need to be some warnings and some caveats associated with this ship but that happens now with the various theme cruises. The line would need to issue a permanent warning to all prospective passengers about animals being on board. If the passenger has animal related allergies they would need to book elsewhere. There would need to be certain caveats as well. For instance no large animals like horses or cows would be permitted. Hollywood types would probably have to leave the pet cheetah at home too.

Who knows what we might see in this area in the future? I have learned over the years to never say never when it comes to future developments.

Everyone have a great New Year.

There may be a safety and health concer. No vets aboard the ship in the event your pet gets sick. If there is an emergency like going to the lifboats what do you do with the pets.

Both of the above could be cause for major legal suits

I think there would be too many concerns and not worth the cruise line taking the responsibility.

BTW, some cruise lines permit service (seeing eye) dogs.

One of Cunard's ships had a kennel, but I don't know if they still do. I kennel my dog with our vet, and Reagan loves being there (loves being in close proximaty of other dogs)! I know he's being cared for by people I know, gets lots of exercise and if an emergency should arise, they already have a signed consent form on file and will take care of him.

Maybe we would like it as owners, but somehow I don't think the pets would enjoy it very much. Living cramped in a tiny kennel away from home for however long, instead of being home with a sitter or at a familiar boarding facility?

Maybe we would like it as owners, but somehow I don't think the pets would enjoy it very much.

I agree that pets might not be that happy about it, seeing you come and go each day while they are confined to a kennel. I would probably spend most of my cruise worrying about her. I think my dog and I are both happier leaving her in a familiar place where she is well cared for....unless it's a vacation that we can take her on and she has the freedom and comforts that she enjoys at home. :)

However, we feel that this (pet accompanied cruising) is a lucrative niche market for some enterprenurial cruise line. We would be willing to pay a premium for the pooch to accompany us if it was done right.

There would need to be some warnings and some caveats associated with this ship...If the passenger has animal related allergies they would need to book elsewhere.

A friend of mine made this suggestion to me once - start a cruise ship where you allow pets. I thought it was a fabulous idea! Some of what is mentioned by Pilot went though my head...there would need to be warnings that such-and-such a ship allows pets, so people with allergies would know not to book on that ship, etc.

There are all kinds of spas for pets. In my mind, this pet-friendly ship could also offer all kinds of activities for pets, so they don't have to stay cooped up in their kennels the whole time. "Mom" and/or "Dad" could come bring their pet out for a walk and/or other activities every day... (I suspect most people who would pay to bring their pets would make a point of doing this.) Cruise ships have separate spaces and activities for kids - why not for pets?

Really, would there have to be separate space where all the pets are housed together? Couldn't there be space in the cabins for pets' kennels, so that they could stay in the same room as mom and dad? I think there's so much that could be done with this idea!

I have cats, and I'm sure they wouldn't be happy on a ship, but I figure lots of people would love to bring their pets, given the opportunity.

I think it's a wonderful idea! :)

Were would they put all the fecal matter, and urine?

Wash it overboard? Put it in the trash to ripen by the end of the cruise?

And what about exposing your pet to diseases from all over the world from animals from Europe, South American, Mexico, etc?

And how would you limit what kinds of pets? By pound, height, length what?

You know there will always be those that want to bring their pot belly pig, or miniature horse, LOL, snakes, lizards, alligators, ferrets, what if the alligators and snakes got out and ate the little dogs, and pot bellied pigs LOL:D.

Can you imagine the panic if the lifeboats had to be manned and people being separated from pets, animals panicking and snapping at people.

Forget it.:eek:

Wow, I'm dog crazy, I have two pugs and a white german shepherd and I go into doggie withdrawls when I'm on my cruises. That said, I am DOG CRAZY, meaning I would never put my dogs in kennels for a week or two, just to get my doggie fix. Besides health concerns and toileting issues, how bout dogs that get seasick? People get seasick, some dogs would probably too. I think I'll leave my spoiled brats home to get spoiled by my trusted loved ones to take care of them. Otherwise we would stay home, I just couldn't do that to them. JMO, Carole

If cruise lines began allowing pets on board, it would have one major advantage for me -- I could automatically eliminate any of those cruise lines from consideration when planning my vacations!

I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but to be quite blunt, animals pretty much gross me out. They're smelly, messy, unpredictable and often dangerous (though their owners never seem to notice or acknowledge these things). I once let my husband talk me into getting a dog -- NEVER AGAIN! I won't even go into detail here -- let's just say it involved thousands of dollars in home repair, fruitless obedience training and medical bills -- for me -- as a result of bites.

I have no problem with animals as long as they're on farms, in zoos and in OTHER people's homes! (And just for the record, I grew up in a rural area and spent much of my childhood on a farm.)

-Sarah

If cruise lines began allowing pets on board, it would have one major advantage for me -- I could automatically eliminate any of those cruise lines from consideration when planning my vacations!

I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but to be quite blunt, animals pretty much gross me out. They're smelly, messy, unpredictable and often dangerous (though their owners never seem to notice or acknowledge these things). I once let my husband talk me into getting a dog -- NEVER AGAIN! I won't even go into detail here -- let's just say it involved thousands of dollars in home repair, fruitless obedience training and medical bills -- for me -- as a result of bites.

I have no problem with animals as long as they're on farms, in zoos and in OTHER people's homes! (And just for the record, I grew up in a rural area and spent much of my childhood on a farm.)

-Sarah

LOL I grow up on a farm too, actually a working ranch, were our dogs were used to help herd the cattle and our horses were sometimes our best friends. Sad but true lol, when the nearest neighbor is 5 miles away friends are hard to come by.

I have two retired police k-9's a rot and a Belgian Shepard, and an elderly pug. Plus two cats that I have no idea how that came about because I didn't think i liked cats.:rolleyes:

But no, animals don't belong on a ship, I think they would be terribly unhappy, but it appears that people would rather have their pets there for their own pet fix, instead of doing what is best for the animals. Staying in a comfortable well known environment.

Animals live in the moment and don't pine away for their owners (no matter how much we wished they would:o), just are upset when their routines are interrupted.

I will prob get flamed too, but I spent years training police k-9's and feel like I have a little insight to the subject.

Were would they put all the fecal matter, and urine?

Wash it overboard? Put it in the trash to ripen by the end of the cruise?

Whether or not it is a good idea to have pets aboard, this reason seems silly to me. You could do exactly what you do with human fecal matter and urine. How is it any different?

Whether or not it is a good idea to have pets aboard, this reason seems silly to me. You could do exactly what you do with human fecal matter and urine. How is it any different?

LOL I hope you are not trying to say you use the deck for the restroom??!:eek:

Maybe you are suggesting the animals use the toilet? Humm:D

Now should the owners pick up the poo or the workers on the ship?

I hope they also don't work in the kitchen.:rolleyes:

Its a silly idea any way to have animals on a cruise ship.

First thought is for the fecal you could scoop it and flush.... but I think very few cats and dogs are trained to "p" in the toilet. ;) and you can't scoop that.

Pets on board is a dumb idea for all the reasons stated above.

It's a silly idea on an existing, mainstream cruise ship. However, if a specialty ship/line were to be developed/planned/staffed with animals in mind, it could be a very lucrative endeavor. Yes, it would be more expensive, but I'm guessing that there are customers who would pay top dollar to be able to travel with their pets.

if a specialty ship/line were to be developed/planned/staffed with animals in mind, it could be a very lucrative endeavor. Yes, it would be more expensive, but I'm guessing that there are customers who would pay top dollar to be able to travel with their pets.

I agree. With planning for it (doggie spas, kennels in the cabins - remember, a lot of people kennel their dog at home when they are working all day, too, so this isn't a hardship for a lot of dogs, etc), I think it could be done. And, I'm sure there are people out there who would pay for it.

As for pooping and scooping, where I live - you take your dog out for a walk, and you are expected to scoop the poop anyway, so for anyone who lives anywhere where it already has to be done, it wouldn't be any different. That should be the owner's responsibility. Now, I'm not sure how it would work for urine, but I'm sure someone could come up with something...

Archived